Emergency Dental treatment before Chillwell

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
#1
Does anyone know of a way to get a dental exam and treatment at short notice?

I was due to be mobilised several months hence for Herrick 11 however my PSI is trying to get a few of us down to Chillwell next week!

Can't see me getting through a dental exam without bits and pieces being done...
 
#2
Flight said:
Does anyone know of a way to get a dental exam and treatment at short notice?

I was due to be mobilised several months hence for Herrick 11 however my PSI is trying to get a few of us down to Chillwell next week!

Can't see me getting through a dental exam without bits and pieces being done...
Seriously Flight, you need to have it done before Chilwell, or there is a very good chance of a Dental bounce and not accepted into service, and having to re-apply to re-mob. If you're trying to get on the intake of the 23rd? you may already be too late as regards finding a Dentist.

You also need to make sure the Civvy Dentist understands he has to do a proper job. Very recently I've seen a couple of angry people told their Dental work they had done pre-Chilwell was not up to the standard expected for OPs.

Second bit of advice, it is going to be expensive, assuming you can find a Dentist with a slot. It is possible for you to reclaim some or all of this back from your PSAO , but I think , and I'll be corrected if wrong here, you need to have been mobilised with a date to attend RTMC before he considers it.

Get to your GP's and get a proper check-up as well, the Medical is stiff at Chilwell too.
 
#4
My town has a walk in emergency dentist, whipped one of my gnashers out and sorted the abscess no problem.

Try NHS direct they may point you in the right direction.

Dirt cheap as well btw
 
#5
Yeah find yourself a civie dentist and pay for it. The dentists at Chilwell will just pull them out....
 
#6
I explained all to my dentist and he was fine. All work done the next day.

Just be polite and ask.
 
#8
Yokel said:
Remember to claim for it on JPA....
And risk being done for fraud - you are not entitled to dental treatment until mobilised, if you are not found to be dentally fit you will not be taken into service.

PW
 
#9
speak to your psao and try to get in a local unit dentist, thats what i did prior to herrick 8/9

they will not do a large amount of dental work there.
 
#10
paywog said:
Yokel said:
Remember to claim for it on JPA....
And risk being done for fraud - you are not entitled to dental treatment until mobilised, if you are not found to be dentally fit you will not be taken into service.

PW
What he said. Though personally, I feel the moment you've been given a date for mobilistaion, is the moment you should be given access to DMS.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
Have the rules been tightend that much?

We had a lad on Telic 4 who had real dental problems
When we went to Windsor to train with the unit he got his teeth sorted
He missed a week on Salisbury plain training because of his dental appointments

The rest of us had it all done before we got there and nobody told us we could claim it back either :roll:
 
#12
PartTimePongo said:
paywog said:
Yokel said:
Remember to claim for it on JPA....
And risk being done for fraud - you are not entitled to dental treatment until mobilised, if you are not found to be dentally fit you will not be taken into service.
PW
What he said. Though personally, I feel the moment you've been given a date for mobilistaion, is the moment you should be given access to DMS.
[marq=left]

Totally agree - as soon as youv'e got your papers you should be entitled to a trip to the nearest dental centre & treatment (although they don't have the capacity to deal with their current patient base!!) - this would prevent the hundreds of dental fails at chilwell,

PW
 
#13
Well to make it easier, all you'd need if they can't do any actual Dental, is a checkup to Deployment standard, to let you know exactly what you need before the main event.

That way you won't run the risk of a Dental Fail/Hold, which has got to save money somewhere in the chain?
 

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
I managed to get an appointment as a private patient at short notice after a lot of ringing around. Other than a filling ( had to get another appointment for that ) he gave me a clean bill of health.

Local NHS line asked me to leave a message and they'd contact after about 8 weeks. Not much use. There is a dental school where newbies will hack you under supervision, waiting list 6 months. No drop in centres or such like.

I'm amazed I didn't need much doing, havn't had a dentist for over a decade. Could be a showstopper for most so I'll pass the info on to anyone looking to deploy.

I think I was lucky in more ways than one. Thanks for the help though lads.
 
#16
Chump! said:
What sort of thing are they failing people for? I imagine your teeth have to be in absolute s*** state?
No, they don't. They're just very strict when it comes to any problems that may get worse on an op tour. Prevention is better than cure etc.
 
#17
the_boy_syrup said:
Have the rules been tightend that much?
Yes and no. Had a guy with us deploying for H8 and his teeth were in rag order. He spent an extra few days at RTMC whilst we went to unit. Strangely inthese few days nothing had happened at RTMC and he then got his teeth sorted once he arrived at the Reg Unit.

Although just to confuse matters someone did get binned for what on the face of it looked like far less of an issue.

Bottom line is turn up with pristine gnashers and you won't have any problems.
 
#18
Looks like Im going to have to make another trip down the dentist to be certain then. Thats will be 3 times this year then! Not long had a filling in one of my teeth, now its quite sensitive, would you recommend having it pulled?
 
#19
Chump! said:
Looks like Im going to have to make another trip down the dentist to be certain then. Thats will be 3 times this year then! Not long had a filling in one of my teeth, now its quite sensitive, would you recommend having it pulled?
Nah mate, if you get a very small .75mm drill bit and make two small holes; one at the top of the tooth where it meets the gum, and a second straight through the front centre it mitigates that problem. Some people I know have referred to a dentst in these matters but take it from me (not a dentist) that this is the safest method. :roll:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top