Emergency Brake DIY...

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Barbarella, Jul 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My front drivers side brake is binding, or at least I presume it is from the smell of burning rubber and smoke that was whafting out of the wheel when I got out of the car... It could be the caliper has gone, but surely if the entire brake shoe etc was replaced a couple of weeks back then it would have been obvious if it was on the way out and they would have dealt with it then?

Brakes aren't really my strong point as I prefer to get them done professionally, for obvious reasons, however is there something that I can do to release it for long enough to get the 20 miles back to the garage that fitted them? I'm pretty proficient with most car issues so am not averse to having a tinker. I'm miles way from home tonight, staying at an entirely workshop deficient location, so don't have any more than the standard wheel kit in the boot - I'm never leaving my fecking sh*d again...

Any suggestions please?

Thanks awfully, Barbs
  2. Sounds like the piston is sticking in the caliper or the slides are stuck... only thing you can try is removing the wheel and forcing the piston back into the caliper.... then pumping it back out again with the brake pedal ...do this a few times.... it may free it enough to get you home... avoid heavy braking if you can on the way back home.
    .....Elf an safety bit ..... if you are not sure what you are doing then call an expert ;-) .... out .
  3. Silicon spray, to stop the pad binding on the disk.
    or WD40, or Butter, or grease!
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Find the brake pipe that feeds into the bad wheel. Cut the ****** with a pair of pliers. Quickly crimp off the bit of pipe on the car-side before air gets in. Crimp the ****** again. Drive with brakes on three wheels till you get back home. Or forever. Just be careful in the wet.

Birds and cars. Jesus ******* Christ, eh?
  6. thanks guys - got it to the garage and they dug out all the corrosion and cack that was causing the problem with the caliper. Clearly it's all my fault for being in the wrong side of the car... On the plus side they didn't charge me a penny for the work.
  7. TheIronDuke

Yeah. Right.

3 Sluts vs 2 Man Garage Orgy - SlutLoad.com
  8. Yeah! Obviously it was something that wasn't their fault.

My daughter had a similar problem after she had new discs fitted, though with hers, the brake would sieze on when travelling forwards and release when in reverse. I took a look at it and found that the garage had forgotten to refit the bottom bolt on the calliper housing. The garage tried to blame it on my daughter but quickly changed stance when I phoned them up, revealed that I had an RAC report (had to call them in to get the car transported to the garage) and asked if they'd like to take the matter further.
  9. TheIronDuke

Hi. So, let me get this straight? You listen to your daughter regarding anything to do with cars? Your daughter, yes?

When your computer fucks up, do you ring the plumber?
  10. No, she listens to me. There was only one time she didn't pay attention and on that occasion she tried to drive her car upside down across a field. I've since painted "TOP" at the top of her windscreen so that she doesn't forget.

As a father, you've got to be sympathetic. It's so easy to confuse the speedo with an artificial horizon.
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

lucky as a binding brake creates heat which in extreme can blow the pipes and even catch fire.

I had amost entertaining trip on the big m5 flyover through brum one night following a white transit with a red hot rear wheel, flames and sparks all over the shop.
  12. Would that be as entertaining as a trailer load of 81mm HE?
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

possibly as its hard to describe in full effect and I dont know what he was carrying but he carried on at 50 or so, I stayed in the outside lane expecting to see him blow out and trash it, the rear drum was bright orange, flames were blowing around the wheel arch and tyre while a stream of sparks spewed out the back. 2 miles of entertainment instead of one big bang :)