Embassy Siege ended 30 years ago today

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bravo_Bravo, May 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Worthy of note.

Announced the SAS to the wider world, and showed terrorists what we can do.

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

"we"? Surely, you mean "Them" :)

3. "We" or the gentlemen from a rural English county near Wales?

Don't tell us that you were on that balcony too! :D

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Thank you.

Myself and the other 365,938 people who all claim to be first on the balcony are very grateful for the recognition.

I was 5 years old at the time, Selection aged 3 is a fucking nightmare.

5. And it only seems like yesterday!!

The years fog the memory, now was i second or third on the balcony :? :?

6. I was in the bar at JSPC (Lippspringe), bored witless 'cos it was wet and windy . . . we were all reading books, playing "Scrabble", pinball . . . and then this news broke on BFBS radio (a week after Delta Force went titsup en-route to the US embassy in Tehran)

Feckin' bedlam . . .

Since then, I have (through skydiving) met every bloke who was on every balcony. :D

He was an instructor at Netheravon, and over time seemed to have been in every position, on every balcony, in every BBC news shot ever taken.

A true force multiplier.

I think he must have been the inspiration for "The Agent" in The Matrix. . . .

7. You think you had it bad? I wasn't even born for a few weeks, but did I let that stop me? Did I hell!

8. I was fifteen, the balaclava played hell with my acne. You may know me as Johnny Two Spots.

9. Damn, I remember that. I was a 17 yr old apprentice tradesman in REME at the time. The TV got switched from what we where watching to live coverage as we watched. I did not have a bloody clue what was going on as I watched it live.

I was kinda proud once it was explained after the event.

10. The Balcony was just the distraction, the rest of us came up through the sewers with Boat Troop. Apart from space troop who were teleported in to the third floor.

11. I was just a lowly sperm, I was inside the Guy one of the guys on the Balcony, My mother fucked em all

12. I was a regular in a respectable Bangkok Lounge when the Embassy Siege happened.
    Most customers where former US military, John drank the health of the Men that day and for several more as well, didn't cost me a Baht.
    Made you proud to be British.
    john

13. It spoilt a cracker of a live snooker match.

14. We were on guard that night (AAC Harrogate).Duty officer did not know what was happening, so all on stag over 17 were issued rifles instead of pick-helves, and 60 rounds. I had only ever fired about 10 full bore rounds at that stage. It was very exciting, but a good job nobody tried to jhump the wire that night.

15. "I still love you Son,can't you get mum to lift that restraining order so we can have a beer and I'll tell you how I was the first on the balcony." :(