Emailing large files

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by captaincalamity, Oct 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking to email a holiday video clip to a friend. Problem is, is that the file size is too big for ordinary email accounts. How can I do it? I had a look at some of the online storage sites, where I could upload it and the other person could download it - has anybody tried one of those? How do they rate in terms of price and security, and general overall usefulness? Are there other ways of doing it?

Also, I had a look at some of the video compression software sites - has anybody tried that? The original clip was recorded on a Panasonic SD90 HD camcorder, and it records in MTS format, whatever that is. My old laptop struggles to play the files in any sort of smooth fashion. I shall be getting a new laptop for Christmas but in the meantime, what can I do to fix things for now?

Cheers!
    CC

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

3. You could upload it as a zip file to a hosting site such as https://www.rapidshare.com/#!myrapidshare|filemanager you can open a free a/c & then send them a link to download it.

Depending on the file size you may have to split into smaller files using something like HJSplit: free file splitting software for Windows, Linux and other platforms

You can convert using Free Video Converter - Any Video Converter Freeware - convert video free to AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, MPEG, FLV, SWF, 3GP, DVD, MP3, WebM, iPad, Android, PSP, Tablet PC

4. This thread really is starting to sound like the cartoon I just linked to.

5. ...or you could stick it on a DVD and post it...

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Exactly how many people were involved in the swinging party that you went to?

7. The first trial will be with a delicate beach scene of crisp blue Adriatic sea and boats. Once the system is proven...

Thanks for all the tips.

8. Quite, but I am in South Korea and she is in West Africa, so not much chance of posting a dvd or driving over with a USB drive.

9. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

You can always Send File by Skype.

10. Stick it on youtube and send a link? I think you can also post vids on photobucket, and password protect (can you do that on youtube?)

11. Serious question is the postal service that bad?

12. She might want to forget the whole horrid affair or is it for blackmail purposes? :)