Email stuck in outbox

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by soldiersmum, Dec 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any one please help, I have an email stuck in my outbox - in fact this seems to be stopping me from sending anything out now. I don't seem to be able to delete it, it has been there all day and is driving me mad.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. It means the recipient hasn't opened it.

3. I don't think it is that, it just hasn't sent, but seems to be blocking everything now.

4. Check how many messages you have in yur sent box, you can only receive and send upto 100 messages. If yours is saying 100, then delete some and it will send.

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Is it an actual email or an Arrse PM?

6. It will do anyway. It just automatically deletes the oldest ones.

Doris who started the thread. Its in your outbox because the person you've sent it to hasn't opened it yet. Pretty much what 5A said......

How do you know its blocking everything up? Its not a bidet you know.

7. Doesn't it depend on your e-mail server? Webmail may have constraints about somebody else opening it, but with Outlook Express using Virgin Media, as soon as you send it, it's gone.

Did you attach anything bulky - like photos? Anything over 5Mb could well jam the system. Sometimes it clears, sometimes you have to contact your e-mail provider to delete the message from the server. (And sometimes, they take days to do it...)

8. I have deleted a load of old sent messages, and it is a proper email and not an arrse pm. Putteesinmyhands I think you might be right, I had attached a lot of photos, so I will try you suggestion.

9. Yep. Been there done that, your server is timing out because they're too big to send all at once. Send them in smaller batches.

10. You may have also exceeded your server mail size limit. Some will only send up to 5 mb at once.

Split it down into seperate emails and send them individually.

Then watch them fly out your box. You will need to delete the original large size email first.

11. Try using Picasso 3 for sending photographs, it automatically shrinks them for e-mail purposes. If you need to send Large Format photies for printing purposes etc send them individually.

12. Thank you for all your advice. I have managed to delete the offending email, have tried to send new one with fewer attachments, same problem it gets stuck. I have also noticed that a message is coming up that a data file did not close properly and it is checking for problems.
    I might just give up on sending the pics for the time being.

13. Although you've deleted the e-mail from your computer, it may still be stuck in the client's server. Give it a while and try again. If still no joy, contact your internet provider for assistance. (Last time I contacted Virgin Media, expecting to get a big bill for the time spent explaining the problem and following instructions etc, the nice Indian chappie said "This could take some time. Hang up and I'll call you back so you don't get charged." Nice of him. I don't know if this is standard practice, though...