Email scams

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Trans-sane, Jul 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

We all get them. They have become the third certainty in life along with death and tax. Usually they are dull and boring. But occasionally one turns up in my inbox that is amusing in its brass necked confidence. Like this little gem...

"UNITED NATIONS / WORLD BANK COMPENSATION UNIT.

Attention: Beneficiary,

How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family?, You may not understand why this mail came to you. We have been having a meeting for the passed 7 months which ended 2days ago with the then secretary to the UNITED NATION. This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS IN Affiliation with WORLD BANK have agreed to compensate them with the sum of US$ 500,000.00.

This includes every foreign contractors that may have not received their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due to Government problems etc. We found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you,this have been agreed upon and have been signed.

You are advised to contact Mr Jim Ovia of our paying center in Africa,as he is our representative in Nigeria, contact him immediately for your Cheque/ International Bank Draft of USD$500,000.00. This funds are in a Bank Draft for security purpose ok? so he will send it to you and you can clear it in any bank of your choice. Therefore,you should send him your full Name and telephone number your correct mailing address where you want him to send the Draft to you.

Person to Contact: Mr Jim Ovia
    Email: officer.jim.ovia.bankzenith@gala.net
    Phone: +234 8074595000

Thanks and God bless you and your family. Hoping to hear from you as soon as you cash your Bank Draft. Making the world a better place.

Regards,

Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon."

So has anyone else been emailed by such an august personage as the Secretary General of the UN claiming to be offering compensation for being scammed?

2. Yeah, that very same one arrived in my yahoo account the other day; from a clara.net email address as well. Times must be hard at the UN - or our Nigerian friends are extremely f***ing stupid!!!!

Isn't there a site dedicated to winding these f***ers up? Can't remember the name of it but was shown it ages ago and it was proper humour.

3. Search for 419 baiter or 419 eater. Worth a chuckle.

T

4. I always forward those emails to the Liarbore Party headquarters.... I'm sure there are enough Muppets there who might fall for one of these.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I like this one, the spelling is worthy of a 22 year Private not a septic occifer;
    "Reply-To: captjohnanthonyusarmy10132@gmail.com
    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original
    Greetings
    I am sorry to encroach into your privacy in this manner, I
    found you Listed in the Trade Center Chambers of Commerce
    directory here in Iraq,
    I find it pleasurable to offer you my partnership in
    business. I only pray at this time that your address is
    still valid. I want to solicit your attention to receive
    money on my behalf.
    I am Capt. John Anthony, an officer in the US Army, and also
    a West Point Graduate presently serving in the Military with
    the 82nd Airborne Division Peace keeping force in Baghdad,
    Iraq.
    I am on the move to Afghanistan from Iraq as the last batch
    just left, and I really need your help in assisting me with
    the safe keeping of two military trunk boxes which has just
    arrived the USA from the Iraq.
    I hope you can be trusted? Kindly view this news blog below
    for some info,
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7444083.stm
    if you can be trusted will explain further when i get a
    response from you.
    Waiting for your early reply
    Best regards.
    Capt John Anthony
    US AMY. "

Amy?????
    I wonder if its worth emailing back cliaiming to be SIB?

6. I got one from the CO of 1 R IRISH asking for help in getting a ton of Saddam's money out of Iraq. It must have been a different 1 R IRISH though as the CO's name bore no resemblance to the guy I know and they were in the UK at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. So your going to claim to be the star of The Lion King?

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It looks like the good Capt Anthony must be doing back to back tours!
    http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?28873-Capt-J-Anthony-American-in-Iraq
    and for some reason routes his emails through Nigeria. I suppose he has to be careful though
    http://www.scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2976

• Like Like x 1