Email..paypal..and now Nationwide scams

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bossyboots, Apr 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unsure if this is the right forum ( mods please move if not )

Today i have recieved an email apparently from Paypal saying this.......

Dear PayPal Member,

This email confirms that you have paid WHOLESALEIPOD ( $249 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL WHOLESALEIPOD*".

PayPal Shopping Cart Contents

Item Name: Apple iPod Video (Black) 30GB MP3 Player
    Quantity: 1

Total: $229 USD

Cart Subtotal: $229 USD
    Shipping Charge: $20.00 USD
    Cart Total: $249 USD

I have never had a paypal account, nor have i ever ordered an mp3 player or an Ipod or anything else.

I dont have a credit card either.

Has anyone else had an email like this? It went straight into my junk mail.

I'm confused and a bit cross. Is it a scam or a genuine thing? How can they charge a credit card or an account that i dont have??

Any idea's?

2. If you have no paypal account or credit card whats the worry????

I smell a scam.
  3. It's a scam, the clue's in the fact you, a. have never had a paypal account, and, b. don't have a credit card.
  4. Cheers, I all looked very official, right down to the 'dispute the bill' part ( glad i didn't click on that bit ) :)

Oh and the address of the person who 'ordered' it apparently.
  5. This is just a scam to get you to log into your paypal account (if you had one) and then they get your login details as they host a site that looks like paypal but is not.
  6. Easy to see if it is a scam.

First line of the message.

Shame you binned it.
  7. I get emails like this bossy, know a few people that do. I do have a PayPal account and use it a fair bit, but the address that I get messages like yours is not the one that my account is with.

As Brads says its just a hack so that they can get your details to use.
  8. I've not binned it Steven, it went straight into my junk mail where its still sitting.

This was the header on the email.

Reply-To : <>
    Sent : 03 April 2007 11:32:12
    Subject : Dispute Transaction
  9. The dispute link will lead to an "offical" looking Paypal site eg

Even though it has paypal in the address, the real address is

Only ever login to web site who's address you have typed in your self.

Once you have logged into the site to dispute the order the crook will have
    A) your logon
    B) you password

they will then thransfeer money out of you account (bank details are stored by paypal) or go on a spending spree.

This sort of scam is normally for Banks - Enter you account number and pin number.

You can report it to Paypal via their web site.
  10. And the address in the "From" field on your email app. ?
  11. A nice little feature in the new Microsoft browser (MSIE v.7) is an anti-phising filter.

The fake websites found in these spam emails are immediately blocked by the browser so even if you click the link you won't be able to contact to the dodgy site.
  12. Ditto Firefox
  13. I copied and pasted it exactly as it is shown LordVon.

Further down the email is the apparent address of the person who ordered the mp3 player. I don't have a paypal account or a credit card, so why they chose me to scam i have no idea :?
  14. Because they send these to many random addresses, they only need a few to respond to make good money.

15. I send them all to the spoof at paypal address. They very quickly confirm whether or not they are kosher. I think I must have sent about 50. All identified as bent.