Email Client (Outlook, etc) v Gmail

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Bad CO, May 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Porridge_gun's thread about migrating between outlook installations brought back all sorts of hideous memories of moving around monster pst files. Fortunately I moved, via thunderbird, to browser email (gmail) some years ago so haven't had this problem for years.

It did make me wonder whether anyone could come up with a compelling reason to continue to use an email client?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2. It lets me keep all my emails in one place without having to switch between three gmail accounts and the OU.

3. msr

msr LE

PGP

4. Bad CO

#Fail, I do that all the time by having three browser tabs open. Multiple account sign in makes this really easy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I have my gmail synced to my outlook...with my other email accounts run as pop under the same client. There is something reassuring to me about having all my historic emails downloaded on my desktop PC. I suppose I could IMAP all my accounts on the client as I have reasonable storage on my accounts. Using web interfaces to email accounts doesn't do it for me...I still like the functionality of outlook.

Sent from my Nexus 7

6. Bad CO

Which bit? Certainly the search function is nowhere near as good.

7. Working offshore I am often in a position where I can not access my accounts (dodgy internet) so having it all in outlook allows me to access stuff offline.

8. Enterprise environment is always going to prefer ownership of mail servers and clients although Office 365 is popular with small and medium firms. I like being able to save and attach emails easily, the functionality of Outlook but for personal use happy with web based mail systems.

9. I concur.

10. Bad CO

That's about the only advantage I can think of as well.

11. It's with you locally and you don't have to rely on a working internet connection. Use both webmail and client and you'll be golden

12. Always having your mail to hand and not reliant on a working connection at all of the myriad potential points of failure between user and provider is quite a large advantage in my book.

I've spent years doing this shit, and in all that time I've never come across any reason to ditch locally held mail. Use both

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I suppose everything I am used to doing in outlook is achievable in gmail online, but outlook gives me it in a package (office) that is set up to allow me to navigate the functions in a way that I find intuitive due to the use of other MS Office apps. Perhaps it's as simple as the (G)UI...which I have used across previous versions...allows me intuitive use of the application...more than the mere functionality. Signatures with *.jpgs are also something I use often and again formatting them in office suites...perhaps if could do this in gmail I'd think of switching.

I have to say that IMAP on my nexus 7 is much better than my alumni webmail which is painfully primitive...so I'm firing up outlook mostly as an archiver...although I still wait to send important emails formatted in outlook...

Sent from my Nexus 7

14. Bad CO

Two interesting replies but no sign off a killer feature. Personally I view seamless integration across any device you care to name as a huge advantage. Against this I'll happily trade the very slim chance that Google and the internet will go offline!

Usability is as much about familiarity as anything else. I've used ms office on dii for years but switched everything on my personal system to Google docs a couple of years ago. I now absolutely prefer the latter.

For ARRSE email we use a ticket response system (via a browser) which is functionality neither offers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

15. msr

msr LE

Can you use PGP to encrypt your email on gmail?