email client for hotmail on Linux mint

fairly new to linux

I have been trying to setup hotmail on thunderbird or conqueror without success, the various online walk thrus havent helped me much,

Has anyone managed to d it successfully?

This is for ubuntu, but mint is a spin off from ubuntu so that should work just dandy. It is for Evolution though so you might want to have a quick look for thunderbird instead.

I've used it and it works like a charm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200408

You need to have POP3 set up on your Hotmail account, I think they charge for this now, if that's in place you can use Thunderbird or any of the other clients to access Hotmail.

The best soloution for Thunderbird I have found has been to use the Webmail plugin.

Have used it for years and have had no problems. As it's a plugin it should work fine with the windows version as well.

On a sidenote have a look at Linux Outlaws. The podcast is excellent and is a good way of keeping up with the news in the open source world.

I ve tried the Webmail plugin, tho it is not happy with thunderbird 3.0 , is there a more compatible extensions page or is 2.0 still available in english?

An alternative (& more sensible option IMHO) would be to get a decent email provider that allows POP3/IMAP acccess. Bin hotmail in favour of Googlemail would be my recommendation.

Just updated to thunderbird 3 and the webmail extension seems to be working.

What version of webmail are you using.

(Tools > Add-Ons)

The versions I have are:

Webmail 1.3.5

Webmail Hotmail Component 1.2.24

I use ubuntu and I just use amsn which is a messenger type program like msn and then just click when it says you have mail and it opens the web page for hotmail.

sounds good
however I was looking for something a little more outlookish in design, as when I am jobhunting I need to send out about 200 mails a day via jobserve.

I have got both Evolution & thunderbird working to some degree, just not for sub-folders. Everyone seems to agree this is either difficult or impossible with hotmail ;)

two_of_seven said:
sounds good
however I was looking for something a little more outlookish in design, as when I am jobhunting I need to send out about 200 mails a day via jobserve.

I have got both Evolution & thunderbird working to some degree, just not for sub-folders. Everyone seems to agree this is either difficult or impossible with hotmail ;)
200 mails a day? I think you might need to relook at your jobhunting strategy rather than find a technical solution.

msr

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bad CO Gaming and Software 92
scotscop ARRSE: Site Issues 3
G ARRSE: Site Issues 1