email client for hotmail on Linux mint

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by two_of_seven, Oct 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fairly new to linux

I have been trying to setup hotmail on thunderbird or conqueror without success, the various online walk thrus havent helped me much,

Has anyone managed to d it successfully?

2. This is for ubuntu, but mint is a spin off from ubuntu so that should work just dandy. It is for Evolution though so you might want to have a quick look for thunderbird instead.

I've used it and it works like a charm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200408

3. You need to have POP3 set up on your Hotmail account, I think they charge for this now, if that's in place you can use Thunderbird or any of the other clients to access Hotmail.

4. Cow

Cow LE

5. That worked fine for me, however I am unable to access hotmail's subfolders using the client, has anyone else managed this?

6. msr

msr LE

7. The best soloution for Thunderbird I have found has been to use the Webmail plugin.

Have used it for years and have had no problems. As it's a plugin it should work fine with the windows version as well.

On a sidenote have a look at Linux Outlaws. The podcast is excellent and is a good way of keeping up with the news in the open source world.

8. I ve tried the Webmail plugin, tho it is not happy with thunderbird 3.0 , is there a more compatible extensions page or is 2.0 still available in english?

9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

An alternative (& more sensible option IMHO) would be to get a decent email provider that allows POP3/IMAP acccess. Bin hotmail in favour of Googlemail would be my recommendation.

10. Where did you get Thunderbird 3 from?

Did you download it from the thunderbird website?

11. I believe it came from an automatic software updater inside linux mint

12. Just updated to thunderbird 3 and the webmail extension seems to be working.

What version of webmail are you using.

(Tools > Add-Ons)

The versions I have are:

Webmail 1.3.5

Webmail Hotmail Component 1.2.24

13. I have the same; tho in tools addons webmail options it does say no, next to IMAP, so I suspect its just not designed to do imap

thanks anyway

14. I use ubuntu and I just use amsn which is a messenger type program like msn and then just click when it says you have mail and it opens the web page for hotmail.

15. sounds good
    however I was looking for something a little more outlookish in design, as when I am jobhunting I need to send out about 200 mails a day via jobserve.

I have got both Evolution & thunderbird working to some degree, just not for sub-folders. Everyone seems to agree this is either difficult or impossible with hotmail ;)