Email address Rip off by BT and others

I think the damage is done from AYs point of view.

His best bet is probably to set an exit plan.

Get a new freebie account. Transfer his contacts. Send all contacts an email from the new account telling them he has changed - they can just add his new email. Run the BT account for three months to pick up any strays then kill it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BT would presumably argue that they are charging for a service which you use.
BT don't suplly any services to me, just hold on to the 'title' for their email address which I took out when I started with BT as an internet supplier some 15 or so years ago.

Anyway, the point is are BT justified and it will take Ofcom to decide that. I am picking up some useful info here so may change but it is not as simple as some are making out. What seems simple to you may not be so to someone not so computer literate. I will monitor this and pick up info as it goes along.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think the damage is done from AYs point of view.

His best bet is probably to set an exit plan.

Get a new freebie account. Transfer his contacts. Send all contacts an email from the new account telling them he has changed - they can just add his new email. Run the BT account for three months to pick up any strays then kill it.
And that is where it becomes difficult and would be the way to go. I have four accounts running from the one main with hundreds of contacts, my life is not confined to Arrse contrary to some people's belief. To do as Teddie suggests is a large piece of work which is why I decided to pay a wee bit to keep my email address. Hopefully Ofcom will agree with me and class it as a rip off.

Let's wait and see.

@Auld-Yin

They offer free web based access which will allow you to continue to use the email address for free.

You are paying for full email client access.
They are providing a service as your email address directs to their server, they host the content of you emails - both of which they offer to continue to do for free. The part you are paying for is to use true email services such as the POP server to keep your email client software up to date.

If you require your client software to keep up to date and flag that you have mail etc and you won’t migrate then that is the service you are paying for

That shouldn’t stop him logging onto those websites. Usually the email address is just a substitute for the user name.

I doubt if he actually needs emails from over 100 sites.
What about websites that require your email address to login?
The Universal Credit portal requires an email address to login for sure.

BT would presumably argue that they are charging for a service which you use.
Virgin delete your email address upon leaving them..that's probably more of an issue.

Same here, have an original business btopenworld.com email address since the vey first days of the interwebs in the 90's - thieving pokies but its been my business address since for ever

Not to my knowledge.

It requires your user name, password and secret question answer.

Obviously it needs a valid email address to send you stuff but these are mostly notifications of new entries in your journal/to do list. Presumably it then allows you to change your personal details.

That shouldn’t stop him logging onto those websites. Usually the email address is just a substitute for the user name.

I doubt if he actually needs emails from over 100 sites.
If a legacy email address is used as the user name then the email account itself may no longer be required.

Update the user contact details with the new current address

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not to my knowledge.

Obviously it needs a valid email address to send you stuff but these are mostly notifications of new entries in your journal/to do list. Presumably it then allows you to change your personal details.
It requires email. I have a friend on UC who has to ask me to log in and see what the message is. A text is sent saying a message is on the site but it needs an account to access it. Crazy system.

Not to my knowledge.

I was on ot last year after Harland and Wolff went into administration. Could've sworn my login was my email address.

You could well be right.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Here is the service I pay for

Note the explanation of what the service is. None of the keeping software up to date, just about keeping email address which is what I want
"Customers who don't want broadband from BT anymore, but want to keep their email addresses"​

It requires email. I have a friend on UC who has to ask me to log in and see what the message is. A text is sent saying a message is on the site but it needs an account to access it. Crazy system.
No it doesn’t.

I spend a few hours per week helping with a local charidee that assists benefit claimants (mostly those who thought literacy and numeracy were optional back in their school days).

UC sign-in requires a user name and password on the first screen. Then a secret question answer. It does not require an email address to sign in.

I accept that you need a UC account and an email address helps but it is not part of the sign in process.

My outlook pisses me off because I get notifications daily about cnuts I have spoken to in 15 years reminding me of their birthday

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No it doesn’t.

I spend a few hours per week helping with a local charidee that assists benefit claimants (mostly those who thought literacy and numeracy were optional back in their school days).

UC sign-in requires a user name and password on the first screen. Then a secret question answer. It does not require an email address to sign in.

I accept that you need a UC account and an email address helps but it is not part of the sign in process.
Ok, but you do need an internet connection, which is what I should have said. The UC people will only communicate online with text messages saying you have a message! :rolleyes:

Here’s a review of the best online email providers.

The top three are Gmail, Yahoo and MS Outlook. Personally I don’t like Gmail. Yahoo has improved massively (plus it gives you 1Tb of storage, presumably to attract users). Outlook is superb if you have the Outlook component of MS Office, otherwise it’s a bit indifferent. It does give you 15Gb of storage though (which is handy for books and music) and gives you the option to link to 20 other accounts, which might be handy if moving away from BT.

I probably wouldn’t bother with the rest.

Have a look at them and see which one suits you, sir.

Ok, but you do need an internet connection, which is what I should have said. The UC people will only communicate online with text messages saying you have a message! :rolleyes:
Yeah, I agree with that.

It is slightly nuts in that it requires an online capability from that section of the population which is both least likely to afford it and understand it.

The whole system is sh1te though.

This idea of paying to retain an email address... If people are willing to hand over £50 - £90 per year why wouldn't the ex ISPs exploit them if they can get away with it?

Four years ago I moved out of a Virgin media cabled area having had an NTLworld cable/email account for years since cable started. I bit the bullet and changed to Gmail as the threat of losing the VM/NTLworld account was there - there was no suggestion of 'pay to keep'. Strangely, four years on, I can't send email on the old VM/NTLworld account but both she and me still receive mail sent to those old addresses.

Never again will I become reliant on a specific ISP address.

endure

GCM
BT don't suplly any services to me, just hold on to the 'title' for their email address which I took out when I started with BT as an internet supplier some 15 or so years ago.
They provide the machines on which your emails are stored.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They provide the machines on which your emails are stored.
Not sure they do, used to be Yahoo that did that. Not sure though.

Latest Threads