Email address Rip off by BT and others

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I have been paying BT for my email addresses since I left them - for poor service! I asked to keep my email address and they told me there was a charge which was £1.50 per month. Not too happy but easier than changing all my contacts etc. A year or do later and it goes up to £7.50 take it or leave it. I took it but am really happy that Ofcom looking at this rip off and maybe I will get some, if not all, my dosh back.

I have been paying BT for my email addresses since I left them - for poor service! I asked to keep my email address and they told me there was a charge which was £1.50 per month. Not too happy but easier than changing all my contacts etc. A year or do later and it goes up to £7.50 take it or leave it. I took it but am really happy that Ofcom looking at this rip off and maybe I will get some, if not all, my dosh back.

I got a @btinternet.com email address and have not been a bt customer for decades. First time I have heard of this.

Archie

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

Flippant answer: Couldn't you just tell both of your mates what your new email address is?

Serious answer: It surely can't be beyond the wit of man for them to stick on an auto forward and then forget about it. Charge for the initial set-up then no ongoing cost to them.

Who would want a shitty BT email address anyway? It's only the old and stupid who would have as their main email address one supplied by their ISP.

Who on earth pays for email?

£7.50/month is a complete rip-off. Even £1.50/month is a con.

Get a MS Outlook, gmail or other freebie email service and import your contacts. Two minute job.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Flippant answer: Couldn't you just tell both of your mates what your new email address is?

Serious answer: It surely can't be beyond the wit of man for them to stick on an auto forward and then forget about it. Charge for the initial set-up then no ongoing cost to them.
Nah, they are both thick as you so explaining would take to long ;)

They're not on t'interweb. :cool:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Who would want a shitty BT email address anyway? It's only the old and stupid who would have as their main email address one supplied by their ISP.
Why?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Get a MS Outlook, gmail or other freebie email service and import your contacts. Two minute job.
Have you changed your email address at any time?

I thought that as well. But one fella interviewed by the BBC, claimed he'd have to change his email with over 100 websites as a means of being able to log into them.
I suppose it's just been easier and cheaper for some in the long run.

"I also had some problems with auto-renew contracts that sent reminders to my old address, so that caused a lot of problems."

That scenario above could end up costing you a fortune.

Which is what I have done .... I only use my ISP's E Mail Address as a sort of sump for use when I have to supply an address to an organisation I may only have limited dealings with and any subsequent dross goes into that address ... that way when I change ISP no major problems .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
For the reasons you are beginning to discover.
That means nothing, which brings me to the only and obvious conclusion that you just posted Bollox and now can't back it up when challenged.

Have you changed your email address at any time?
Lots of times. Each time I imported the contacts list.

Plus I have multiple email addresses for different interests (books, maps, records, ARRSE etc). Some share the same contact list, some don’t.

Mostly I use a hotmail.co.uk account as I signed up to this the day it was launched so I could get myname@ rather than myname12345@. I use this with Outlook on the PC or via the web page on iPad (as Apple mail is pants).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Which is what I have done .... I only use my ISP's E Mail Address as a sort of sump for use when I have to supply an address to an organisation I may only have limited dealings with and any subsequent dross goes into that address ... that way when I change ISP no major problems .
That's better, some useful information, thanks.

Doesn't detract that BT are charging for a service they no longer supply and are being investigated. Hopefully we will end up with a situation similar to mobile numbers where you can take your number with you.

I thought that as well. But one fella interviewed by the BBC, claimed he'd have to change his email with over 100 websites as a means of being able to log into them.
I suppose it's just been easier and cheaper for some in the long run.

"I also had some problems with auto-renew contracts that sent reminders to my old address, so that caused a lot of problems."

That scenario above could end up costing you a fortune.
That shouldn’t stop him logging onto those websites. Usually the email address is just a substitute for the user name.

I doubt if he actually needs emails from over 100 sites.

That's better, some useful information, thanks.

Doesn't detract that BT are charging for a service they no longer supply and are being investigated. Hopefully we will end up with a situation similar to mobile numbers where you can take your number with you.
BT would presumably argue that they are charging for a service which you use.

That shouldn’t stop him logging onto those websites. Usually the email address is just a substitute for the user name.

I doubt if he actually needs emails from over 100 sites.
And even if he did, it's very simple to update your details on any website.