Elric of Melniboné is going to be a TV series

It looks like Glen Mazzara (“The Walking Dead”) and Vaun Wilmott (“Star Trek: Discovery”) on are board to adapt the novels for telly

Fischer and New Republic see the Elric saga — which begins with the 1972 novel Elric of Melniboné, as having cross-platform franchise potential. They are first leaning into the TV series with Mazzara & Wilmott.

The novels are sensual and atmospheric sword-and-sorcery tales that center on the title character, a brooding albino warrior who presides over an unruly, decadent island nation. The novels follow Elric on a series of adventures, in which he is betrayed by his cousin, sent into exile and attempts to come to terms with his own humanity
Anyone know anything more?

Wait till you find out the authors name was Moorcock

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Elric has long been a favorite of mine, no doubt in the current climate of turning gold into lead, I'll be amazed to discover Elric is in fact an Afro Caribbean lesbian in a wheelchair. For those who don't know
Elric

Apart from writing music for the likes of Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult, he also wrote pretty good historical novels

Not sure of millenials would be aware of the Elric books, do they even read novels these days???

TamH70

MIA
So the palookas behind this wrote "The Walking Dead" and "STD" - (among older Star Trek fans that TLA is mandatory as it is the worst series with the lowest viewing figures ever)?

Hard pass.

Besides, even with writers that don't manifestly suck, Hollywood would probably screw this up.

I even watched the animated adaption of the Dragonlance books and that was trash, well it did have Lucy Lawless in it (well voice over anyway), so I'll give it a few episodes when it's finally released

I remember watching the Buffy film thinking that a few hours wasted, and yet the TV series had it moments so you never know

Somethings you expect to be rubbish have redeeming qualities

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Wait till you find out the authors name was Moorcock
The bloke that wrote the staff of chaos trilogy? Read the first two. Keep meaning to go back and read it again and find the last one.

So the palookas behind this wrote "The Walking Dead" and "STD" - (among older Star Trek fans that TLA is mandatory as it is the worst series with the lowest viewing figures ever)?

Hard pass.

Besides, even with writers that don't manifestly suck, Hollywood would probably screw this up.
Oh, please.

Voyager?
DS9?
Endeavour?

Everything in them that wasn't shit was wooden.

Discovery kicked over a few anthills, happily.

TamH70

MIA
Oh, please.

Voyager?
DS9?
Endeavour?

STD is not only shit, but it's also plagiarised shite at that.

Mind you, DS9 was as well, and Voyager only got good when Jeri Ryan was cast as Phwoar. I mean, Seven of Nine.

TamH70

MIA
So what you're saying is that a franchise built on a story derived from Darwin's travels on HMS Beagle is plagiarised?

I'm shocked.

Shocked. I tell you.
One would ask who the Darwin analogue was, but it was probably Spock.

Anyway, STD is a bit more blatant - and CBS and Netflix are getting sued for it.

The reason why Season Three of STD went to the far future was an attempt by CBS to draw a line underneath that as far as the general public is concerned. There are a lot of YouTube videos on the STD subject, and Star Trek in general, but the most informative I've watched so far are from the Midnight's Edge crew. They go into great detail as to why and how things went so wrong after JJ Abrams was given the keys to the franchise.

Oh, please.

Voyager?
DS9?
Endeavour?

Is this the Sci-Fi analogy of Godwin's rule, how long before we're talking about Star Trek instead of the original topic.

Elric has long been a favorite of mine, no doubt in the current climate of turning gold into lead, I'll be amazed to discover Elric is in fact an Afro Caribbean lesbian in a wheelchair. For those who don't know
Elric
Well Elric's people are the archetypal white supremacists, so I suppose this comment was in some ways inevitable.

Anyone know anything more?
No but I shall wait with bated breath for them to be released on Netflix, or some other platform I don't subscribe to, because the idea appeals.

Latest Threads