Elon Musk: The Colonisation of Mars

Space suits have come on somewhat too. Looks as if George Lucas designed them.

Space suits have come on somewhat too. Looks as if George Lucas designed them.
Yeah, I thought that too. Their boots looked like an old pair of wellingtons.

I assumed the suits/boots were the best they could do in terms of comfort and fire resistance.

Let's face it though, if the ship blows up at 12 miles high it doesn't really matter what you are wearing.

Just watched the ISS go over from the back garden, despite the high level of light pollution in the area. Also saw a polar orbit, and possibly the Dragon (going in the right direction, but seemed to be a bit too high in the sky for the right orbital inclination).

Yeah, I thought that too. Their boots looked like an old pair of wellingtons.

I assumed the suits/boots were the best they could do in terms of comfort and fire resistance.

Let's face it though, if the ship blows up at 12 miles high it doesn't really matter what you are wearing.
Are they are "Get Me Down" suits? That is their function is to keep the crew alive in the event of depressurisation.

Just watched the ISS go over from the back garden, despite the high level of light pollution in the area. Also saw a polar orbit, and possibly the Dragon (going in the right direction, but seemed to be a bit too high in the sky for the right orbital inclination).
Yeah we’ve been watching the ISS for a couple of weeks now, very bright, 2 weeks ago it shimmered twice as the sun caught it. Waiting to see the Dragon tonight but didn’t see anything on the right trajectory. It docks tomorrow morning apparently.

Slime

LE
Saw the ISS tonight, but didn’t see dragon.

A minute or so after the ISS went over a lovely bright shooting star went over going East to West.

It's not really though is it. NASA and the Russians successfully launched manned flights 60 years ago. Musk appears to be expending billions reinventing the wheel. Space travel is a bit of a dead end at the moment since we cannot reach inhabitable planets and man cannot live healthily in space for extended periods.
what? Developing reusable, automated transport to low earth orbit is not reinventing the wheel. By that line of thinking then we should all be driving around in ford model T's because everything developed since then is just reinventing the wheel.

Have you actually had a look at the Falcon 9 and the Dragon cargo and crewed vehicles? They are light years ahead of the Russian technology that is still in use.

Dragon is entirely automated. The crew could have slept and watched movies on the 3 big screens in front of them for 18hrs until they heard the hiss of the door being opened after it had auto-docked at ISS.

In the Russian capsule, 3 of you are crammed in like a ryan air flight and they have to use a stick to push buttons with because they cant reach the controls from their seats. In Dragon there is enough room for them to get out of their seats and float around if they want to.

Elon Musk said "**** it, i'll do it then" and put together a space program that is far better than anything that any government has managed and he did it in a fraction of the time and cost, NASA and the Russians pay SpaceX to deliver cargo and now crew to ISS because it's cheaper, much cheaper than using their ancient technology to do it and this means that SpaceX is financially viable.

Now that LEO is out of the way, they can focus on ironing the kinks out of Starship. Yes, Starship exploded today during an engine test but this is the be expected. It took 4 attempts to get Falcon into LEO.

Karamoja

War Hero
Have you actually had a look at the Falcon 9 and the Dragon cargo and crewed vehicles? They are light years ahead of the Russian technology that is still in use.
So was the shuttle, and which is still flying? Can't help feeling that abandoning landing return vehicles, like the shuttle, is a retrograde step.

So was the shuttle, and which is still flying? Can't help feeling that abandoning landing return vehicles, like the shuttle, is a retrograde step.
Past your bedtime? You might want to look at that for coherence in the morning.

Eh?
Past your bedtime? You might want to look at that for coherence in the morning.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who cant make sense of that comment. I think he is saying that it would be better to just go back to single use engines, boosters and capsules and then give up with space travel altogether once the Russians current technology is retired because it's all too expensive so why bother.

Because that is what happens when single use craft are used for space exploration. Reusable is the obvious way forward and it's proven technology working right now saving us all money and making SpaceX rich in the process. I dont see the downside.

If the current rate of progress continues, if 2 or 3 other companies are able to catch up with SpaceX then a whole new space race to Mars could happen, SpaceX have got the transport covered, we could see another company running Methane production plants to keep the ships fuels and another company working on large agriculture systems, mining - if we are going to live on mars long term, we will need to dig and set up cities underground.

Then another company can work on terraforming mars, preferably before there are too many people living there because the best theory so far involves touching off several nuclear weapons to generate the levels of carbon dioxide necessary to begin the process of terraforming.

It's all within reach, within our generation (assuming that your not 75 and about to die). It just needed private industry, some balls and a great mind who does not listen to the naysayers.

Eh?

I'm glad i'm not the only one who cant make sense of that comment. I think he is saying that it would be better to just go back to single use engines, boosters and capsules and then give up with space travel altogether once the Russians current technology is retired because it's all too expensive so why bother.
He said:

I misread that at first as the Shuttle is still flying.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that despite being clunky old tin can and copper tubing technology the Soviet rockets still function fine. Which is a fair point TBH.

I also think it's a mistake to shitcan returning craft.

I think the way forward is a combination of a new shuttle (maybe more of a minibus than a removal van) and Musk's reusable first stage rockets.

On a separate note.

The launch profile had various milestones (for lack of a better word). Stage separation etc.

Two of these were STOP/GO points.

I cannot find anything on what would happen if the decision was made to STOP.

How would you stop/kill forward motion/recover command capsule/etc.

Don’t forget they used to recover the two external boosters on the Shuttle launcher.
Wasn't that part of the problem?

They got bashed around and dented in the return/recovery and the metal bashers at NASA had to hammer them back into perfectly circular shape.

I think Richard Feynman identified this as a causal factor when he was on the disaster investigation team.

Those space suits look like bad film props. You've got to have cool space suits, otherwise... what's the point?

aardvark64

Old-Salt
I think they always cut out on the barge due to the vibration, don’t recall seeing any that didn’t.
Not always :) Watch 0:40 onwards for various barge landings ... entropy ... that's not an explosion etc

Wth a stirring sound track, too.