Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elon Musk: The Colonisation of Mars

D

Deleted 145301

Elon Musk recently unveiled his blueprint for a space transportation system that will enable the colonisation of Mars.

He envisions fully reusable space rockets that will be able to carry 100 people at a time to Mars, with up to a million being transported over the programmes lifetime.

This will result in a ticket cost of around $200,000 per person.

If it were anyone else I would be very unconvinced, but SpaceX had already delivered a series of very successful achievements including delivery contracts from NASA and for the ISS, as well as fully reusable first stage rockets that can land on a floating barge in the ocean.

If he can attract the funds required, I believe this is going to be a reality by the middle of the century.

What does anybody else think?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 145301

What would be the genuine near future motivation to move there?

Insurance policy against extinction.

Perhaps there would be commercially viable mining options.

Ultimately terraforming Mars into a earth like planet with life in abundance

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be the genuine near future motivation to move there?
Donald Trump apparently.

I can't see it happening. Not within the next few hundred years at least.

Elon Musk = snake oil salesman

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
D

Deleted 145301

Donald Trump apparently.

I can't see it happening. Not within the next few hundred years at least.

Elon Musk = snake oil salesman

His record of delivering on his intentions speaks for itself.

Are you aware of his Tesla or PayPal ventures?

Ok @Baglock the hyperloop. Tell me that it is a serious contender for a viable form of transportation.

A couple of hundred miles of vacuum tube that snakes through a desert that is crazy hot during the day and freezing at night.

Unless they have found some form of metal or glass that does not get affected by heat and have kept schtumn, then it's just not physically possible.

It's as stupid as solar freaking roadways.
Spend millions to generate a couple of grands worth of solar energy, and then place it in the shade by plonking vehicles on it.

How much have you invested, you mug.

endure

GCM
Not till there's a decent off licence up there.

They made money though, that's the difference.

We could be on mars in no time at all if there was the political will to go, but there's not much more to do on mars than there is on the moon.

Look for microbial life perhaps, but that's really not much more than a bit of curiosity.

To that end, I can't see Musk getting enough people together to stump up the cash for the trip.

Sit in a tin can for 9 months with no fags.

Sit in a bubble for 18 months waiting to go home. With no fags. And remember, there's no pubs on mars and no telly.

Then get back in the tin and go home.

Maybe Elon Musk is actually one of the Lizard People and has all this secret technology that has not yet been revealed to us humans.

He didn't invent the electric car. PayPal, while grounbreaking at the time wasn't exactly new technology either and hardly compares with sending a million people to Mars.

D

Deleted 145301

They made money though, that's the difference.

We could be on mars in no time at all if there was the political will to go, but there's not much more to do on mars than there is on the moon.

Look for microbial life perhaps, but that's really not much more than a bit of curiosity.

To that end, I can't see Musk getting enough people together to stump up the cash for the trip.

Sit in a tin can for 9 months with no fags.

Sit in a bubble for 18 months waiting to go home. With no fags. And remember, there's no pubs on mars and no telly.

Then get back in the tin and go home.

I agree that there needs to be some political will, but ultimately like many ventures, privately run, rather than publicly run is going to be the most efficient way to go.

The Apollo programme cost approximately $200 billion in today's money. 12 men walked on the moon. That is a cost of a little under $20 billion per person. Even if $200,000 is not achievable and it quintuples, a million dollars per person for a trip to Mars would be magnificent.

Musk is offering a viable means of transportation, nothing more.

I believe that his vision for the colonisation of Mars would be a city, a bit like in Total Recall, but without the triple breasted hookers. Whether this would be full of scientific researchers or miners is anyone's guess. I'm sure there will be scientific and commercial opportunities to be had. History demonstrates that whenever we've spread out to a new area that this is so. For all we know, there might be many rare metals and minerals under the surface

I agree that there needs to be some political will, but ultimately like many ventures, privately run, rather than publicly run is going to be the most efficient way to go.

The Apollo programme cost approximately $200 billion in today's money. 12 men walked on the moon. That is a cost of a little under $20 billion per person. Even if $200,000 is not achievable and it quintuples, a million dollars per person for a trip to Mars would be magnificent.

Musk is offering a viable means of transportation, nothing more.

I believe that his vision for the colonisation of Mars would be a city, a bit like in Total Recall, but without the triple breasted hookers. Whether this would be full of scientific researchers or miners is anyone's guess. I'm sure there will be scientific and commercial opportunities to be had. History demonstrates that whenever we've spread out to a new area that this is so. For all we know, there might be many rare metals and minerals under the surface

What history shows is that all ventures of this kind are initially pioneered with government money. Once the big risk is out of the way, then the private sector can take over.

That was true from Christopher Columbus, through the East India Company and right up to today and the shift from NASA to private lifting companies.

Musk won't risk his own cash.

It'll be grand until the pikeys arrive.

D

Deleted 145301

What history shows is that all ventures of this kind are initially pioneered with government money. Once the big risk is out of the way, then the private sector can take over.

That was true from Christopher Columbus, through the East India Company and right up to today and the shift from NASA to private lifting companies.

Musk won't risk his own cash.

Indeed, that is taking place with SpaceX beginning to take over from NASA the relatively mundane tasks of ISS resupply and launching satellites.

It is interesting however to note that the Dragon 2 manned capsule that SpaceX is developing is likely to come into service in the next year or 2 whilst the Orion capsule is seemingly going to take a bit longer. No one seems to know trump's position on NASA...

We might end up with the first human being to walk on Mars being delivered there by a SpaceX vehicle. That's my hunch anyway

Actually, Musk has risked his own cash. He stumped up the lot.

His heart is in the right place but it is ultimately flawed. Idiots who educate themselves with trash like IFLscience and LadBible lap it up. Don't they @Baglock

D

Deleted 145301

His heart is in the right place but it is ultimately flawed. Idiots who educate themselves with trash like IFLscience and LadBible lap it up. Don't they @Baglock

I'm sure that's the case. But I personally don't use that kind of dross to educate myself :)

I'm sure that's the case. But I personally don't use that kind of dross to educate myself :)
That is a relief.

Take a look at Thunderfoots channel on YouTube. Between his jousting with feminists, social justice warriors, bible thumpers and leftys, he does some great work debunking new 'omg this is amazeballs' 'inventions'.

Hyperloop and Solar freaking roadways feature heavily. As does pulling carbon and water from air.

Unless I'm behind the curve here, he hasn't built anything at all, has he?

Latest Threads