Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Ello mate no longer calling officers Sir

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
“Secondly, when I see an officer walking through the barracks I must greet them with the word ‘sir’ or ‘ma’am’ but am I not risking offence here by assuming someone’s gender or implying that they actually see themselves as having a gender?"

OFFS...

I really hope the individual who wrote into Soldier and managed to get this result is taking the píss and having a good laugh. 20-30 years ago a letter like that would be passed around,laughed at, then binned, todays army never ceases to amuse me....

“Secondly, when I see an officer walking through the barracks I must greet them with the word ‘sir’ or ‘ma’am’ but am I not risking offence here by assuming someone’s gender or implying that they actually see themselves as having a gender?"

OFFS...
I really hope the individual who wrote into Soldier and managed to get this result is taking the píss and having a good laugh. 20-30 years ago a letter like that would be passed around,laughed at, then binned, todays army never ceases to amuse me....

I love letters like that, it shows that certain officers are shitcunts who tie themselves in knots to appear diverse.
Next on the chopping block, saluting...

They wrote into Soldier magazine, the official monthly publication of the army, and questioned if they should say the controversial word when answering the phone without knowing if it was a man or woman on the other end

How incredibly binary? Don't they know that there are thousands of different genders?

I’m glad to see that we’re finally getting to the crux of the recruiting & retention crisis.

We’ll be a fully manned/personned (other genders available), fit, motivated force before the month is out.

I read something the other day that while framed as an amusing idea is now looking more like it might actually be what is happening:

• [Scene: a nervous-looking older man meets with a millennial in a darkened alley.]
  • Millennial: what's the target?
  • Man: I don't know if I want to do this.
  • Millennial: people don't come to us until they've made up their minds.
  • Man: Alright. Styrofoam cups.
  • Millennial: Six months and they're gone.
  • Man: Can millennials really kill styrofoam cups?
  • Millennial: we can kill anything, but not cheaply.
  • Man: I can pay. I work for a plasti-
  • Millennial: I don't need to know and frankly I don't care. One of us will deliver a routing number to a Zurich account. Two billion euros, then we start.
  • Man: Alright.
  • Millennial: It will be your last chance to reconsider. Once the money is processed you'll have no contact with us again.
  • Man: I understand. It has to be done.
  • Millennial: Then it's sealed. The cups will join chain restaurants and diamonds in the void.
  • Man: Thank..thank you.
  • Millennial: We don't require thanks. Participation is its own trophy.

Someone somewhere is making money from all this SJW crap.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
So a soldier writes a letter to Soldier Mag and this is how the Ministry react? They’ve got it BAD! Glad I’m out, will the last to leave please turn out the light?

Seadog

ADC
The Americans use Sir and M'am to juniors, seniors and officers up and down the ranks on the phone and in person without a blush. They have been known to answer the phone with;

insert mission statement, how can I help sir or m'am?

The presence of Private Gomer Pyle on the other end is not a concern.
Americans don't always wait for the junior person to salute first.

World keeps turning...

If we all addressed each other as 'Comrade' it would avoid the danger of misidentifying someones rank, gender, species......or any other trait that howling offence could be taken over.

I am increasingly bewildered by the modern world.

That article has cherry picked words from the letter, and made up a fake headline

The letter writer said it was outdated to say sir, that they could offend the caller by saying sir before the caller has spoken and asked if the army should get more modern.

The response was that when you receive a call you then instead of ‘how can I help you sir?’ and supposedly risking offence then they could answer ‘how can I help you?’ without offending.

With sir & ma’am being ‘outdated’ it was pointed out that respect in the modern world still exists outside of the army. Not everywhere and not everyone, but it still exists

The army have not been stopped from calling officers sir. It also wasn’t brought up about rank - they didn’t mention the embarrassment or offence of calling a Private sir in error

So a soldier writes a letter to Soldier Mag and this is how the Ministry react? They’ve got it BAD! Glad I’m out, will the last to leave please turn out the light?
I think the light is already out.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
It was a pain in the arse answering the phone with "Guardroom, Sgt Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff speaking Sir, how may I help you?" - but it was all of it that was a pain, not just the "Sir" bit.........

Last edited:

OFFS...
Conversely, I’d be profoundly insulted if some snowflake squaddie was late on the draw for a nice crisp salute because they were agonizing over my ‘gender identity’.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Read the article.

The headline is misleading and - if I'm bluntly honest - sensationalising (that's not like a newspaper to do that is it?)

It's talking about the way people answer the phone and I actually agree.

Whenever I used to hear my Crew Chief answer the phone, "Line Office, Sgt Smith speaking, Sir..." I've long thought, what if that's a female officer? Or worse? ...a scrote, fresh out of training.

That's why I always answered the phone with something along the lines of "653 / 664 / 662 Sqn... Staff / Q / ASM May speaking..."

No "Sir" or "Ma'am" - I just went with the odds of it being someone on the end of the line "cocking" me.

Again.

I love letters like that, it shows that certain officers are shitcunts who tie themselves in knots to appear diverse.
Next on the chopping block, saluting...

Eddie Izzard is years ahead of this entire thread, however he/she/it/shim/ was just taking the piss

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Whenever I used to hear my Crew Chief answer the phone, "Line Office, Sgt Smith speaking, Sir..." I've long thought, what if that's a female officer? Or worse? ...a scrote, fresh out of training.

'Sir' is/was supposed to cover a multitude of sins, as it were, and it still very much does.

Yes, it harks back to a more male-dominated army but it sets the course for the call. A non-com/equal can answer with 'It's Sgt 'X'' or, 'It's me, Bob' and the person answering the call can respond accordingly. A female officer can say 'Actually, it's Capt. 'Y'', to which an adequate response would be, 'Oh, I'm sorry ma'am.'*

* ''X' and 'Y' are in no chromosome-related. I wouldn't want to upset anyone or presume.

Latest Threads