Ellen Ripley from Alien, 17cm tall resin kit

experimenting with painting black auto paint directly onto glass, care has to be taken removing the masking tape as it's very fragile, so the paint goes on the inside.
experiment painted glass a.jpg

a large area at the top of the pane came away with the masking tape when it was peeled off.
Even so, it's a far more simpler method than using black card or paper, as the glue holding it against the glass would show. Just have to be more carefull de masking.
experiment painted glass b.jpg

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Back in my days of being a paint sprayer we used yellow etch primer, the one time we needed to paint glass it worked really well, however the reverse side effect didn't matter and I can't remember what it looked like.

experimenting with painting black auto paint directly onto glass, care has to be taken removing the masking tape as it's very fragile, so the paint goes on the inside.
View attachment 610148
a large area at the top of the pane came away with the masking tape when it was peeled off.
Even so, it's a far more simpler method than using black card or paper, as the glue holding it against the glass would show. Just have to be more carefull de masking.
View attachment 610149
Well done, I contin to be surprised by your ingenuity. I would never have thought of blacking out the transparent case to make it part of the model itself, but it works really well.
congratulations, that and the back wall lift an already good model to the next level

Well done, I contin to be surprised by your ingenuity. I would never have thought of blacking out the transparent case to make it part of the model itself, but it works really well.
congratulations, that and the back wall lift an already good model to the next level
Yes.
And the T&A are excaptional.
I'm sure Sprocket spent long hours watching and rewatching, FF-ing and Rewinding to ensure he go the flesh tones right.
(OK, he probably didn't. But I would've. In fact, I seem to recall I DID. On VHS.)

Painting black stripes on the ceiling of the space suit compartment. When lit from above it gives a sudo sci fi lighting effect, ish... The figure is still in early stages of paint, a lot more work on that still to do. For me, figure painting is the most challenging area of Modelling.
black striped ceiling c.jpg

still got the helmet to finish too.
helmet face dome b.jpg

Painting black stripes on the ceiling of the space suit compartment. When lit from above it gives a sudo sci fi lighting effect, ish... The figure is still in early stages of paint, a lot more work on that still to do. For me, figure painting is the most challenging area of Modelling.
View attachment 610373
still got the helmet to finish too.
View attachment 610374
Were you always going to embellish the model with the cupboard etc. or did it just occur to you as you built it?

Were you always going to embellish the model with the cupboard etc. or did it just occur to you as you built it?
good question, I knew as soon as I laid eyes on the figure that it'd be great with a sci fi backing board to stand in front of, the glass painting evolved as I built it.

bloody hell, the likneness and the detailing on that is incredible.

how are you planning to approach painting the pressure suit may I ask please? it was absolutely pristine white in the film (presumably from never being used before) but I surmise that won't scale well if you just blasted it in pure white...
I'll be painting the spacesuit in varied white tones to give it depth, as you say, just blasting it pure white will make it look bland and unrealistic.

when her eye's are the same size, I'll let you see her face, till then she's turning her head away from Arrse comments, the space suit is coming along, I'm painting the face and skin in light sittings to get it right and not overdo it. the helmet has got a long way to go still, got the helmet crest to make up
another stage figure painting b.jpg

yet to build the piton gun she uses to "upset" the Alien as it's still clinging onto the airlock hatch frame, and the helmet still needs details added.
another stage figure painting a+.jpg

The Gun she uses at the end of the film to dislodge the Alien holding on in the airlock, is some sort of compressed air grapple pistol, that shoots a grapple on a line attached to the gun. Just like a compressed scuba diving gun I have somewhere in the loft. Scratch building this using spares and styrene sheet.
piton gun a.jpg

I'm sure Her gun was blue. Looks ok, but I've only seen the whole sequence once. I'll go with this...
piton gun b.jpg

and there it is on the shelf behind her.
piton gund.jpg

the helmet is cheap and nasty, typical sci fi prop really, only looks good form one angle. here it is attached to the storage room wall, ready for Ripley to sit down under it and fit it unassisted. it's in the background, partly hidden, suits me fine. nearly ready to close this all up and call it done.
helmet glued to back wall b.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'd make those eyes a tad smaller I think mate, other than that looks excellent, the scratchbuilding is an art all by itself.

I'd make those eyes a tad smaller I think mate, other than that looks excellent, the scratchbuilding is an art all by itself.
Thanks Buddy, I made her eye's a little too big didn't I, I was going for scared sh--less, but got wide eye'd baby doll instead. It's not closed up yet and she's still free to come out of the closet. My figure painting is my weakest area, so to misquote Rommel in whatever film he said it in, I'll make it my strongest, one day. I did try white light spots, but nearly messed it all up, I will gloss her eye's with varnish.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks Buddy, I made her eye's a little too big didn't I, I was going for scared sh--less, but got wide eye'd baby doll instead. It's not closed up yet and she's still free to come out of the closet. My figure painting is my weakest area, so to misquote Rommel in whatever film he said it in, I'll make it my strongest, one day. I did try white light spots, but nearly messed it all up, I will gloss her eye's with varnish.
I never put in a catch light in myself, just use gloss varnish and the light will do the rest. If you want a scared look, then add a little shade in the cheek area and some frown lines on the forehead, experiment with a spare head if you have one.

Latest Threads