Ellen MacArthur - Phenomenal achievement

Posts deleted, save it for the Naafi bar.

Congratulations Ellen , a gutsy achievment, and good to see the world left in no doubt that Britain still rules the waves.

PartTimePongo said:
Posts deleted, save it for the Naafi bar.

Congratulations Ellen , a gutsy achievment, and good to see the world left in no doubt that Britain still rules the waves.
Bugger! There goes my answer. But I think yours is a bit 'toungue in cheek'
PTP :)

Nice one Ellen

:D

Nice to see we can still produce young explorers and adventurers that
modern 'yoofs' can relate and aspire too.
Well done Ellen.

News coming in Ellen has just been created a Dame. (Subject to confirmation)

flash_to_bang said:
Absolutely amazing lady - 'nuff said
Unless you're from the Graudian or course.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/sailing/story/0,10087,1407921,00.html

Can you believe this piece of sh1t knocking the lady before she even came ashore. What a despicable piece of left-wing, mustn't have any winners, especially women, crap from a waste of paper rag.

Bravo Ellen and b0ll0cks to the Graudian.

Typical left wing b@llocks, ashamed to be British from that bunch of crape.....what is it with the left wing fraternity of this country and their desire to mock all things British :?

They would be the first to complain if we didn't do anything to be proud of and now that we are, they complain :evil:

Send them on a ship with no sails or motor and a slow leak into the pacific trailing blood :twisted:

Bob Fisher, the Guardian's sailing correspondent

Ellen is a difficult person to empathise with. She moans and whinges the whole bloody time, so many people, quite understandably, are of the opinion that, given that she knew what was in store for her, she should just shut up and get on with it. There's also the fact that she's such a lone operator. I don't think she has "friends" as such, although she does have admirers - most of them French. There's never been a thought in her mind about sailing with a crew. She's always gone solo. That's just the kind of person she is. There are a lot of people in the professional sailing contingent who wouldn't sail across the Solent with her. They feel what she does is sailing by numbers - it's a mechanical achievement rather than a skilful one.
There are a lot of people in the professional sailing contingent who wouldn't sail across the Solent with her. They feel what she does is sailing by numbers - it's a mechanical achievement rather than a skilful one. q.v.

Bob, there are a lot of people that feel you write stories by numbers, and I wouldn't cross the street to buy your rag.

'Professional sailing contingent' - aka Jealous no-name-no guts-no-glory individuals.

'sailing by numbers'? Isn't that the safest way to undertake this exercise? You need to be an automaton to keep driving yourself for hour after hour . Is there another way to sail this sort of endeavour? She was trying to beat a record 'Bob' , or are your pimms supping jealous sailing experts criticising her 'Artistic Flair' ?

Tell me 'Bob' what's the most arduous sailing task you've ever undertaken?

Your comments come across as jealous and waspy , and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were a part-time hairdresser or interior designer.

Ellen has the heart of a Lion, Guts and she makes one damn proud to be British today, unlike your excuse for a newspaper that attacks endeavour wherever it finds it

Guardian Lurkers, you can tell him where to find this thread, but I doubt he'll try and defend his appalling attack.

Chopper :evil:

Thank you all for introducing me to a genuinely new experience - being moved to defend an article in The Guardian.

If one reads it closely, it is supportive of Ellen MacArthur and her achievement - it merely advises us not to place her achievement anyway near those of Sir Francis Chichester or mariners (especially solo circumnavigators) of the last age. These were people who, unlike MacArthur, did not have telephones, webcams and blogs to relieve the loneliness, didn't have a team of 'Sailing Advisors' constantly on hand, or hourly meterological reports, GPS navigation, lightweight multi-hulls, etc...

MacArthur, if she had really wanted to amulate these people, could easily have done away with all these things and sailed the boat herself, navigated herself and been by herself. In this The Guardian has a very fair point and one I'm inclined to agree with.

What it misses though is the fact that MacArthur wasn't trying to amulate these people - her voyage was all about speed, not achieving the circumnavigation with only basic equipment, etc. Sir Francis sailed around the world in 220 days in Gypsy Moth IV - why repeat that feat when you can do the same thing is 70-odd days, and with a greater chance of surviving the experience?

So well done, MacArthur - it is a great achievement. But we should be careful not to let it eclipse those of greater sailors than her.

I'm by no means a leftie or a reader of the (insert "ironic" spelling of Guardian here). But I can't say I'm overly awestruck by the event.

Yes, Well done that girl, pat on the back, shouldn't have to pay for drinks at the yacht club for a while. A Dame and (according to poll on Beeb site), the "greatest British sportsperson" - I don't think so.

The fact that this record is seen as such a remarkable British achievement is idicative of exactly how little we have to be proud of. I'm rather inclined to feel a greater degree of respect for someone who works in a boring job that they detest in order to feed themselves than for someone who is lucky enough to be able to pursue their hobby on a full time basis.

Still, I suppose it's nice to have some good news.

Its a great achievement sailing is an exspensive undertaking pity the sponsors coulndt choose a decent name but lesser people can always point and sneer critics dont count

well done that bird, but as Chris Moyles said on Radio One this morning, if she wanted to beat a world record, she could have sat in baked beans for a week! would have been easier and she could have watched the telly.

That article is why i hate reading the gaurdian. Biased, and unjustified untill the last paragraph where they say that it is overall a good sporting achievement. The only problem is that you have either spent two minutes reading the twelve other paragraphs abusing her, and now have the impression that she's nothing but a winging baby (who can't write about whales) who's sucsess is purely based upon science and funding.

I HATE THE GUARDIAN [/rant]

I very much agree with those who have reservations. One should not try and compare what Bleriot did with what Concord used to do. However, what I do not heartily congratulate her on is the initiative to get the sponsorship - firms only give to likely winners and the drive and initiative to defeat everything flung at her. Her landbased back-up would be, to me, a liability. "What the hell do they know - I'ts me in the water" sort of response.
I'm sure lots here can recall how fcuked they were after - say - a week of nights in the op on top of Flax Street mill or similiar.

I too hate the idea od agreeing with anything in THAT newspaper, and the fact that Robin Knox Johnston admires her makes me think again because I read his story as a kid and think he's a top bloke a real seaman...

She's got guts she's brave, doing something I'd never do, she is a British champion and that's all great; but comparing her to the lone sailors of the 60s isn't right, they were sterner tougher stuff, and what they did was on a different higher level.

On the other hand ... Is a bloke flying a Tornado today with all the latest gear any less of a pilot than a bloke in WW1 with a Sopwith Camel? or in WW2 with a spit?

Bugger me, I never even knew the Guardian had a sailing correspondent! Despite reading it daily! Isn't this more like "whoever happened to be in the office and didn't look busy" correspondent?