Elizabeth Cross

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Dragstrip, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

It doesn't have a ribbon. Where would it be worn?
  2. That's certainly a valid aspect of the award that I hadn't envisaged. Does it even have a ribbon?
  3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Where, or why would a recipient wear it?
  4. Since it is commemorative i guess the answer the powers that be will be no.
    That said I dont see why not as it means more that a jubilee medal ever will to the recipients.
  5. Was just going to ask that, surely this is the same EC that is awarded to those "Killed" in action? apologies for asking what sounds like a daft question.

Or is the question aimed at being worn from a serving relatives point of view?

ie spouse etc
  6. Wikipedia says (link in OP):

Also in accordance with the Royal Warrant that established the Elizabeth Cross, the Cross and its miniature version may be worn by the recipient (i.e., the deceased's designated next of kin) at that person’s discretion.

My question stands.

7. Ahhh, sorry misunderstanding of "recipient of a medal", the EC is awarded to the NOK, not the KIA, so yes fully agree with your question, and apologies for being dumb.
  8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Certainly more than possible to be either a serving spouse of a KIA, or a serving parent of a KIA. A prime example is Cpl Bryan Budd VC, his wife is still serving.
  9. That was my thought Fug, but then suddenly realised the recipient is in fact the NOK, as per above, and not the actual KIA, recipient to me is usually the person concerned, im not used to the newer medals.

As someone said,it is an commemorative medal, but to my mind, it should have as much pride of place alogside any others being worn regardless.
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It does not take the form of a medal, it is more of a brooch/badge - albeit a very well made and attractive one.

How/where would it be worn? Pinned to the pocket of No2 dress? I am not sure that that was the intention, understandable though it might be for some people to want to do so.
  11. [​IMG]

After a quick Google search I noticed in more than one image that the cross has a small strip of purple ribbon attached. Possible colour for a ribbon when worn mounted? (This is a Rumour Service, after all.)
  12. Debretts has an opinion:

The cross is intended for wear on formal occasions such as Remembrance Sunday, while the miniature will be worn for less formal events. There are no formal rules for the wearing of the cross on civilian clothes; it is intended that the emblem is worn on the lapel or collar of a jacket by men or woman. It would not be considered appropriate for any military recipient to wear the Elizabeth Cross or miniature in uniform.

13. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Perhaps a letter to Soldier mag is in order, to obtain a patronising but ultimately useless answer from the Medals Office.

14. Not be considered appropriate? hmmm, not the same thing as, not allowed.
    Are there no regs on this in the rule books? surely dubretts are not the be all and end all of military etiquette?