Elite to return!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by in_the_cheapseats, Jan 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

2. It will be nice to see an official updated version of the old classic. But there has been an 'open source' version down load able for years. It's called Oolite and can be downloaded for free and played exactly like the original in wire graphics, or with updated realistic 'skins', weapons and add-ons.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. There would have been a new Elite yonks ago but Bell, the other half of the original writers, wouldn't allow it for some reason. I'm actually surprised that Braben raised this amount-wonder if he was as well?
    Oolite is a great game; screams along on a modern PC.

4. They've been talking about producing Elite IV for donkey's years. I'd given up on it ever happening. I still think it will take quite a time before it hits the street. Given the nature of most types of game these days, will it interest today's computer gamer, or will it be just the hard core of us old gits who remember the original game that will be interested?

5. Hadn't heard of Oolite - will have to give that a try.

Only played frontier elite on the Amiga but loved it. Bought a discount bundle off steam from the X series but couldn't get into them at all.

Can't wait for this new version

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ARRSE mobile app

6. Have played elite on the acorn, bbc, Commodore 64, 128, Amiga and the early pc's so yer but of a fan, always hoped it would make a return, I pledged some money for the game only thing is I'm going have to buy a Pc to play it now

7. I know it's not "the new updated version" but for those who haven't ever given Oolite a go, it's worth mentioning that there is a PC, Mac and Linux version of Oolite available to download at no cost. Give you the chance to get your hand in ready for the new version.

8. I got ranked as "deadly," on my Electron. My tape deck would never save the game, so I left my computer on and played it solidly after school when I was 12.
    My mum unplugged the computer to Hoover up my room. The cow!

9. I played it on a BBC "B". My joystick didn't work very well, so apart from frequently crashing into the space station dock whilst trying to match rotation, I found it impossible to defend against pirates. My games generally lasted as long as it took to use the one-shot "pulse bomb" to kill off attackers...

10. A great way to loose weight.

I played this for hours over weekends,so engrossed,I missed meals,my missus gave up cooking for me,when I was on the BBC B computer,never managed Elite status,without cheating but,went through a joystick about every 6 weeks! :meditate:

• Like Like x 1
  11. I think playing this on the Atari ST is what screwed my eyes up. This and Monkey Island.

Saddly I think it will be rushed and end up as a massive disappointment, I hope I'm wrong though.

12. another total destroyer of "Kempston" joysticks was Daley Thomson Decathlon. You can't beat the old games for simple fun.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Another vote hear for the X3 series. Bloody superb games in my book and a worth succesor to the Elite crown. Played Elite and Frontier to death in the years around their release but the X series is much more in my book. Can be found cheap on steam too once in a while. This is from Reunion in 2007 spent months on this bugger.