Elite my fire.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Jun 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Whilst grubbing around in my office, tidying a bit (only 'cos no more room on chairs or floor) I stumbled across an old red-top newspaper. In this, an article referred to several units of the British army, and each one was referred to as 'the elite.......14th RASC Mobile Bat and Toe-Nail Cutting Compnay' or something similar.

I also recall the article a day or so ago about our friends in Catterick, those chaps with the darling pinkish hats, and the unit there was named as 'the elite platoonof the elite coy of the elite regt'

While not wishing to detract or take away anything from those chaps with maroon heads ( after all, someone took their taste and minds), what does define an 'elite' unit?

Answers please on a fifty pound note to.....:

2. If it was a red top tabloid, I don't think they check the OED everytime they write an article.

Signed,

The Elite Indoubitabley, from the Elite website of the Elite ARRSE.

AKA Elitabley

3. old_fat_and_hairy

I doubt that they know what the OED is. I just get annoyed at the overuse of the word.

4. Remember back in about 88 there was an outbreak of meningitis at the REME brat school, early evening news that night pictures of troops running out of the gate at the School of Electronic Egineering that was described as an Elite army regiment, had the boys rolling in the aisles that one.

Zippy483

5. So in the view of some of our marvellous tabloids any soldier is potentially elite. Can't wait for the article on the elite bedding storeman of the RLC! :D

6. Redtop journos just like to bandy the word around to make themselves feel all warm and fuzzy, it's just one of a long list of words they don't know the meaning of.

PS Isn't OED a dyslexic bomb-disposal unit?

7. I can imagine all the journos loitering on this site looking it up in their dictionaries wondering what it is!

8. old_fat_and_hairy

9. For anyone who needs to know, O E D

10. old_fat_and_hairy

Although I have to admit it was an elite tabloid newspaper.

11. Elite aka crack, they seem to mix & match.

12. The "crack" troops of the WRAC? :p

13. old_fat_and_hairy

Oh, there were some. And what 'crack' troops they were. :wink:

14. "Don't call us racks, a Rack's somthing you screw to a wall" & your point is caller?

15. As a crab, do you think i'll be classed as a member of a crack flying unit? an elite airbourne medic?

No, me neither. Worth a try though