Elite Athletes

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by spudface, Aug 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Folks,

Does anyone know whether the Army has an Elite Athlete Scheme like the RAF's? RAF Sports Board - Elite Athlete Programme. Is it possible to compete as either an elite amateur or pro whilst serving in the Army (i.e. be allowed time off for training/ competing when not on Ops)? The RAF website goes into detail about what they offer, but I can't find anything other than the most basic general info on the Army site. I am torn between joining the Army and RAF at the moment, they both have a lot to offer so this could be the deciding factor.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If thats what is influencing your career choice then join the RAF. Lets face if you really want paying too much money to loaf around in a tracksuit all day whilst everyone else does your job then you arent the sort of person I'd like to serve under or with!

3. what about those of us who feel we have done our bit and deserve to have the favour returned! god knows the units normally give no time off for the sportsperson to better themselfs but you can be sure they will self promote any success as if they had man managed it themselfs!

i had an invite onto my countrys team to try to qualify for this years commenwelth games. I was working 8-5 every day in work then practising my chosen sport for 5 hours a day there after! my unit boasted of my achievements. told me they would provide me with new equiptment (mine was 12 years old and technowlodgy advances very quickly in my sport). i deployed to helmand in feb last year months ahead of the rest of my unit in the belief i woulod be brought back for the summer qualification!

i wasnt sent back (despite a football player making it back 7 time to play matches) i recieved no grants for equiptment and i never had the oppertunity to qualify

this was a once in a lifetime chance. im not quite good enough to make the GB squad (all the squad are full time sports people) and my chosen sport will not be in the commenwelths for many years to come

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Fine you have done yours, Rugby and skiing was the sport gods choice in my old bn. The man wants a cushy number from dot one and for that he is better off in a desk job where he will neveer have to exercise any responsibilities of command or let little things like the careers of those who work for him get in his way. RAF all the way for him!

5. Did you not apply to the ASCB for a grant? If you're that good you would be eligible for a BAE Scholarship.

Joining the forces just to be an elite sportsman doesn't sound like a good idea, it rarely happens and depends an awful lot on your CEG, your job at the time and your CoC.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It also wastes a place that could be used for a soldier!

7. the army recruiting is also guilty of miss selling the job! if i had done half what they advertise on the recruiting litriture id be a very happy man lol

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That goes without saying, now if the chap were to win a VC and an olympic gold then he would get my support! I cant see him in the sandpit nor wanting to be myself!

9. i dont think a gallantry award would help your case to be honest! maby i need a transfere to the raf!!!

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There was one VC recipient to get an olympic gold, answers anyone?

11. i cheated and had to use google

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats ok, I couldnt recall either

13. Google God says:

Lieutenant General Sir Philip Neame VC, KBE, CB, DSO, KStJ (12 December 1888 – 28 April 1978) was a British Army officer and recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. He was also the winner of an Olympic Gold medal, making him the only person to win both this and the Victoria Cross.

14. i love the way they concentrate on the VC and ignore the others lol! truely remarkable man! but how much time did he get off for his chosen sport!!!!!