Eligibility for removals and disturbance allowance

Can anybody please inform me of the time period you have to move on assignment in order to be eligible for removals and disturbance allowance. I have heard conflicting information with some people saying you have to have moved within a maximum of 3 months after the assignment date, and others saying that you have 6 months.

Any HR gurus out there know the facts. Cheers.
JSP751 said:

07.0108. General. Only one claim and therefore one rate of DA is payable when a Service person is permanently assigned to a new duty station (but see paragraph 07.0111) (plus the Child Element of DA where appropriate).The DA payment is to be based upon the type of accommodation the Service person is going to occupy for the majority of the assignment (but see paragraph 07.0117). The property for which DA is claimed must be occupied for a minimum of 6 months during the assignment. In cases where the accommodation for which a DA payment is made is vacated within 6 months for other than Service reasons recovery action may be taken.
The time limit is for how long you occupy the qualifying residence. You can in fact claim before you move. Received wisdom is, if you don't need the money to actually fund the move, don't claim until the six months are up, that way you know it's not going to be taken back.
Ok let's be more specific: I hope to move into my own house after starting a new job. Start new job 1 Sep and plan to commute from current address until own new house is ready to move into. When is the latest I can move and claim removals and DA. Is it 3 or 6 mths later, I.e. by 1 Dec or 1Mar?
See below:

07.0206. Eligible Service Personnel. All Regular Service personnel and Military Provost Guard Service personnel and, where appropriate, their accompanying immediate families, are eligible to move and/or store their entitlement of PE at public expense when one of the following is met:

a. They move to a new Residence at Work Address (RWA) on a permanent assignment requiring a change of duty station. Such moves should normally be undertaken within 3 months of the commencement of an assignment.

(1) COs may authorise delays for up to 6 months after the assignment start date to allow house sale or purchase, or where a child’s schooling is involved, providing there is at least 6 months left to serve in the new duty station.

(2) Delays for any other reason must be authorised by the PACCC.

Similar threads

Latest Threads