ELEPHANT GUN!!!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by FULLTRAIN, Mar 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They were just breaking him in gently, for the .600 Nitro Express and the .700 NE to come. Much kickier. :)

And as for Giles Whittome's 2-bore firing a 4-ounce bullet. . . . . :D

Lucky he's a lightly-built bloke, and standing up, so he can rock with the recoil. A big beefy bloke would have had more inertia, and would have got knocked about more. Anyone firing from the prone position would get a busted collar-bone. :cry:

2. Didn't work the first time :oops:

3. I saw a phot of a WWI German "anti-tank rifle." It was the standard Hun Mauser- but twice the size. It could pierce the armour, but few could carry it and no-one fired it twice.

4. There's one of those in the Mess of the Army Rifle Association at Bisley. Weighs a ton, and has a calibre of about 20mm IIRC. Bipod mounted, and far too heavy to carry.

For something more sensible, modern (and accurate) see : http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_82.aspx

5. Nice one Caubeen,

Saw one for sale, used, in a backstreet gunshop in Reno in 2003. $2500 on the price tag. It was shorter than any I had seen before- almost quite handy. Must have been the "Urban Terrorist" model!

6. Maybe ex-PIRA? "One careful owner, light domestic use only. For sale as owner has now taken up statesmanship".

7. Found under a Slab somewhere?

8. Reminds me of the PTRD used by the Soviet Union in WW2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTRD

9. My friends grandfather had a Boys used it against the German armour prior to Dunkirk. Fired once and ditched in the sea, guess what..charged for losing it 8O

10. My friends grandfather had a Boys used it against the German armour prior to Dunkirk. Fired once and ditched in the sea, guess what..charged for losing it 8O

11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Is it back? It was taken off the wall about 15 years ago, IIRC, along with all the other harmless stuff. Made the ARA look as though it had something to do with firearms, I believe ;-)