ELEPHANT GUN!!!

They were just breaking him in gently, for the .600 Nitro Express and the .700 NE to come. Much kickier. :)

And as for Giles Whittome's 2-bore firing a 4-ounce bullet. . . . . :D

Lucky he's a lightly-built bloke, and standing up, so he can rock with the recoil. A big beefy bloke would have had more inertia, and would have got knocked about more. Anyone firing from the prone position would get a busted collar-bone. :cry:

Didn't work the first time :oops:

I saw a phot of a WWI German "anti-tank rifle." It was the standard Hun Mauser- but twice the size. It could pierce the armour, but few could carry it and no-one fired it twice.

gennithmedic said:
I saw a phot of a WWI German "anti-tank rifle." It was the standard Hun Mauser- but twice the size. It could pierce the armour, but few could carry it and no-one fired it twice.
There's one of those in the Mess of the Army Rifle Association at Bisley. Weighs a ton, and has a calibre of about 20mm IIRC. Bipod mounted, and far too heavy to carry.

For something more sensible, modern (and accurate) see : http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_82.aspx

Nice one Caubeen,

Saw one for sale, used, in a backstreet gunshop in Reno in 2003. $2500 on the price tag. It was shorter than any I had seen before- almost quite handy. Must have been the "Urban Terrorist" model!

gennithmedic said:
Nice one Caubeen,

Saw one for sale, used, in a backstreet gunshop in Reno in 2003. $2500 on the price tag. It was shorter than any I had seen before- almost quite handy. Must have been the "Urban Terrorist" model!
Maybe ex-PIRA? "One careful owner, light domestic use only. For sale as owner has now taken up statesmanship".

gennithmedic said:

Reminds me of the PTRD used by the Soviet Union in WW2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTRD
The 14.5 mm armor-piercing bullet had a muzzle velocity of 1012 m/s. It could penetrate an armor plate up to 35 to 40mm thick at a distance of 100 meters

caubeen said:
I wonder if anyone has ever actually fired an anti-tank rifle (or rifle ctg) at an elephant?

Anyone got any anecdotes, links?

More pics etc. of .50BMG, .55BOYS and 20mm Lahti at : http://www.inert-ord.net/atrkts/50-55-20/index.html
My friends grandfather had a Boys used it against the German armour prior to Dunkirk. Fired once and ditched in the sea, guess what..charged for losing it 8O

caubeen said:
I wonder if anyone has ever actually fired an anti-tank rifle (or rifle ctg) at an elephant?

Anyone got any anecdotes, links?

More pics etc. of .50BMG, .55BOYS and 20mm Lahti at : http://www.inert-ord.net/atrkts/50-55-20/index.html
My friends grandfather had a Boys used it against the German armour prior to Dunkirk. Fired once and ditched in the sea, guess what..charged for losing it 8O

caubeen said:
There's one of those in the Mess of the Army Rifle Association at Bisley. Weighs a ton, and has a calibre of about 20mm IIRC. Bipod mounted, and far too heavy to carry.

Is it back? It was taken off the wall about 15 years ago, IIRC, along with all the other harmless stuff. Made the ARA look as though it had something to do with firearms, I believe ;-)

Caubeen,
Zaitsev writes of a few instances of the anti tank rifles being used at Stalingrad against german bunkers and MG. Brutally effective.
See "Notes of a Sniper" by Vassili Zaitsev. One bad bunny.

blue_sophist said:
caubeen said:

Is it back? It was taken off the wall about 15 years ago, IIRC, along with all the other harmless stuff. Made the ARA look as though it had something to do with firearms, I believe ;-)

Point well made. ARA Council members kindly take note.

gennithmedic said:
Caubeen,
Zaitsev writes of a few instances of the anti tank rifles being used at Stalingrad against german bunkers and MG. Brutally effective.
See "Notes of a Sniper" by Vassili Zaitsev. One bad bunny.
Zaitsev was magic. Amazing man. Good stuff about him, and good links, in Wikipedia - and Lyudmila Pavlichenko, too, the femme fatale of Russian female snipers (received at the White House by Roosevelt etc). Balls of steel. . . . .

But back to elephants . . . I'd seriously like to have a handle on any recorded instance of anyone using a .50BMG or suchlike anti-materiel/anti-tank round on a heffalump.

The .600NE and .700NE sporting calibres are on record, as are the 4- and 2-bore smoothbore guns (firing explosive shells, FFS!) of the likes of Sir Samuel Baker.

I'd lay good odds on some poacher having used an RPG!

RE; Zaitsev- did you know he retrained and became a professor of engineeering after the Great Patriotic War?