Electronic Warfare Systems Operator

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by LiamJDRutter, Aug 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys.

Im currently going through the application process and this is the main job role that stands out to me. I got pretty decent GCSE's last year and 79 on my BARB. I just wanted to ask a few questions about the trade that the army website or the recruiting office doesnt make as clear. I would love to hear from somebody who does this job and hear what they have to say about it.

Does the job involve much excitement, or would I be getting a sore bum miles away from the action?
    What are the promotion chances like compared to other techical trades?

Also I read somewhere that after completion of phase 2 training, EWSO's get automatically promoted to Lcpl. I just wanted to know whether in reality this actually happens?

I have tried scanning around the forums for answers to these questions and nobody seems to have asked them already. Cheers in advance :)
  2. You will find yourself either attached to Inf BGs or working as part of an IEDD team for the most part. There are jobs which are 'shiny arrsed' but not when you first start out and they're fairly scarce on the ground anyway.

Promotion prospects are good, it is an undermanned and sought after trade. But, if you're a complete tit don't expect to get it handed to you on a plate - this goes for all trades.

You will get LCpl from training as long as you pass the Potential JNCO cadre. If you don't you will stay as a Siggy until you do. You also get to upgrade to Class 2 after 6 months, not 12.

There are plenty of threads on this forum about the trade, give them a read. There is a lot of s**t written in some of them, but if you don't have the ability to read through the information, disregarding the pointless/irrelevant, then EW probably isn't the job for you.

Good luck with your application.
  3. Check your private messages, mate.

4. Thanks both of you :) both have helped me
  5. The EW Sys Op trade is a growing trade and a good one to get into with the quals you have got.
  6. I'm not sure why you think the trade is growing. Other than trying to shoe horn the trade into jobs they aren't uniquely qualified to do, there doesn't seem to be much of a future for the trade.

People having a hard on for the good work done by 14, isn't the same as believing that that work requires an EW Sys Op.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The writing has been on the wall for the Spec Op / EW Sys Op trade for the best part of 20 years, but somehow they have managed to re-brand themselves every 5 years or so. Whilst the EW Sys Ops are riding on the crest of a wave at the moment with current operations being as they are, it will be interesting to see where they are going in 5 years time.
  8. Contradicting yourself whilst answering your own question? Clever stuff Fraser old boy!
  9. The trade does seem to be basking in the warm glow of a renaissance and largely I feel because a lot of the good stuff it is involved in, is being well publicised. Things have had to change, the practices conducted during the Cold War era have needed to evolve greatly and the trade has reacted accordingly. After consolidating its position within a number of the EW disciplines, I would argue that the EW Sys Op roster is well positioned to provide diverse, interesting and rewarding employment within its CEG.

The EW Sys Op roster is well worth a punt Liam, the trade offers excellent promotion prospects which are available to all who show the appropriate potential, application and ability. Depending upon outlook and dexterity, there are many wide and varied employment oportunities currently available for the EW Sys Op.
  10. Alfie_Boy, I'm not contradicting myself at all. I was just highlighting the point you also made that the future of the Spec Op / EW Sys Op trade has not looked promising on a number of occasions over the last couple of decades and the trade has been forced to venture out into new areas in order to remain viable.

What will the future hold for the EW Sys Op trade when there is a shift from our current operational focus?

As for the 'wide and varied employment opportunities', that's not what you told me last week. ;-)
  11. Ha thank you for such a rapid (if not rabid as yet...) response Fraser me old china, I'd forgotten that you were such an arrse man!

Nevertheless, I am sure that anything I told you last week wouldn't pertain to the experiences which would be gained by an Operator starting out on a brand new career within the trade; and were perhaps (can't quite remember exactly what part of our blue brethren we were slagging off at the time lol) aimed a little further up the trade pyramid where understandably, things get a little more narrow employment wise.

Still it can't be denied, there is some top notch employment for EW Sys Ops at the moment.
  12. There may be some EW Sys Ops employed in some top notch jobs, but that doesn't mean that there are any top notch EWSO jobs out there. As has already been pointed out, there are very few, if any, jobs currently being done by the trade that are unique to it.

I hate to agree with Fraser, but there really isn't much going for the trade long term.
  13. I hate to agree with anony_mouse agreeing with Fraser, but I do agree

:nod: love to you both xx :nod:
  14. how long does phase 2 last for electronic warfare system operators ?
  15. 28 Weeks at DCCIS Blandford
    27 Weeks at Chicksands