Electronic Warfare Sys Op

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by BouncyBear, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that sounds like the absolute dogs bollocks to me after reading the armyjobs website. Only problem is that my maths grade is a E. I have a C in English and a C in German.

It says that you must have a C in English, Maths, Science/IT or a foreign language.

Is the army very strict when it comes to School grades? I mean c'mon I left 4 years ago !

2. If your that thick, then you will struggle. :)

3. Mate,

You are going to struggle getting into the trade with an E in Maths. Much of the coursework is Maths based and can, depending on your ability, get tricky at some stages as you progress on.

The best thing you could do is try and improve your grade prior to joining if it is trade you want to go for.

I'll say on thing though mate. I'm an EW Sys Op and have been for years that are now in double figures. It is an enjoyable trade but can have downsides, as any trade can. What you will get though is job that can be filled with challenging work and a diverse range of employments.

You will get some snot hats shouting off a load of spunk about how bad the trade is. Don't listen to it, some of them are full of sh!te. :roll:

Rgds and good luck,

Carling

4. Even going back years ago when there was no requirement for a Spec Op (as they used to be) to have GCEs (as they were then) those who didn't really struggled. Sorry but it costs a lot of money to train an op in this trade. If you haven't got the necessary at the outset then it would be money wasted. As 4737 says, try and improve your grades (night school perhaps?) before starting as the Army doesn't work on the normal education system by going at the pace of the slowest student.
    I'm not saying that the technical aspect is as high as the tech trades but would say that the full part does equate to the initial tech training and upgrading courses certainly delve into tech T3 (probably got that wrong as it is a fair while ago) as it used to be. From talking to some of the instructors at our annual reunions, they reckon even those with Grade C tend to struggle. (I used to be Tech Trg instructor for Spec ops but that was when transistors were the future and valves were very much the in thing. Computers? Pah! The pocket calculator hadn't even been invented then and solid state was something you woke up with in the morning).

5. That is a trade for guys with the brains of an Arch Bishop.

6. Sorry duffdike but 4737 already spotted you would make a reply.

Oh, and bouncybear, reading other forums "contributed" to by duffdike, you should know that his knowledge of the trade and the training process is based on this:
    In order to assure the highest levels of quality work and productivity from employees, it will be our policy to keep all employees well trained, through our program of Special High Intensity Training (S.H.I.T.). We are trying to give our employees more S.H.I.T. than anyone else does.

If you feel that you do not receive your share of S.H.I.T. on the job, please see your manager. You will be immediately placed at the top of the S.H.I.T. list, and our managers are especially skilled at seeing that you get all the S.H.I.T. you can handle. Employees who do not take their S.H.I.T. will be placed in Departmental Employee Evaluation Programs (D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T.). Those who fail to take D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T.
    seriously will have to go to Employee Attitude Training (E.A.T. S.H.I.T.). Since your managers took S.H.I.T. before they were promoted, they do not have to do S.H.I.T. anymore, because they are full of S.H.I.T. already.

If you are full of S.H.I.T., you may be interested in a job, training others. We can add your name to our Basic Understanding Lecture List (B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T.). Those who are full of B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T. will get S.H.I.T. jobs, and can apply for promotion to Director of Intensity Programming (D.I.P. S.H.I.T.). If you have any questions, please direct
    them to our Head Of Training Special High Intensity Training (H.O.T. S.H.I.T.).

Thank you,

Boss In General
    Special High Intensity Training
    (B.I.G. S.H.I.T.)

He is, by the way, the world's acknowledged expert on helicopter training, Staff Officer training, submarine training, electronic technician training, ammo tech training, Sandhurst training, infantry training, SF training and all aspects relating to every trade available in the Armed Forces from 1937 to the present day. Or, at least, he is according to his posts.

7. Cheers folks, Feck my Im stuck with infantry lol

8. BouncyBear,

If this is a trade that you would like to persue then don't give up on it.

You will be able to easily get some work completed that will elavate your grade and thus enable you to apply.

9. Alternatively have a look at the Int Corps website fella. If you fancy similar work the Corps could be a good bet, and I don't think they're that arrsed about maths, although I may be wrong.

And yes, we do wind Spec Ops up, but they'd miss it if we didn't! :wink:

10. Of course we would, sweet greencheeks. If it hadn't been for the Int Corps "darkside" I'd never have got throught 30 years (well, exagerrating again, 29 years and 7 months) with no-one to laugh at. After all, anyone whose drill is even worse than the average spec-op has to cheer you up. (whoops, forgot the bluejobs here so perhaps you weren't that bad after all. Now they really were something to brighten up a miserable day).
    And for bouncybear, good advice on the Green Slime option. You could do a couple of years training and spend the next few years checking locks and F102s for mongness. Really brighten your day when a staff officer has lost a key. Might even get you an MBE.

11. Now that was a bit harsh wasn't it? ;-)

12. Which bit's harsh? The drill or the counting keys?
    Actually, to be serious for just a tic, I was in in the days we had a good rapport and working relationship with the Green lot. Your jumpers were a bit naff, though. We had the Royal blue ones which definitely looked a lot better and didn't show the beer stains so much as yours. Mind you, thought your chip hats were better than ours (Good God, we looked like extras out of Thunderbirds!)
    Was honoured (not sure if that's the right word) to be on the amalgamation parade at 224 when it became Comms & Sy. The plan was for the Sigs to march up one way, the Int to march the other, all meet in the middle and "amalgamate". Unfortunately, lots of the Int lot were WRAC in those tight skirts they used to wear (we didn't have lady Spec Ops in them days). Of course, the marching pace of the ladies didn't quite match the pace of the men and it really looked like the words of the old song: (to the tune of Lily Marlene)
    "Early in the morning, standing on parade
    Here comes the Sergeant Major to the Donkey Serenade
    Some silly bugger shouts right dress
    You should have seen, the F****ng mess"
    Still, had a great P up in the mess afterwards. SQMS wearing a beret that was half dark blue and half lime green. Charlie Edgars (RIP old fella) nose going even redder than it normally was.
    Oh, happy days.