Electronic RFD firearms register - wot r u using?

4(T)

LE
I can't remember if we've done this, but couldn't spot it in the search.

Anyone using anything more gucci than Excel for their new RFD register? If so, any recommendations for something cheap and functional?

I've got to get my arrse into gear and sit down and set up my new electronic register.

(Personally, I think having a physical book is a hundred times better and more practical, but I suppose They need a better way to spy on our activities...).

I do actually have an Excel spreadsheet of current and old stock that was a sort of back-up for my book, but I find it gets a bit unwieldy with a lot of entries, and fairly easy to inadvertently delete something when moving items from sheet to another.

I'd quite like a simple database system, but without going the full hog to one of the retail systems like guntrader's. Trouble is, my Excel-fu and Access-fu are a bit dated, and I'm too lazy to spend time trying to build a register system myself.

Wot are the rest of the Arrse RFDs using?

I'm using my 9th dan, black belt Excel-fu to create an uber-register. (or a rod for my own back if I balls it. . . )

I use Libre which is a free office type set of programmes.

Libre will open and convert MS Office documents and spreadsheets.

If you want I will send you one set up for both guns and ammunition. It's a simple spreadsheet, you will have to do separate notification letters for the police but it's simple and it's free

ugly

LE
excel, plod and the Eu uberstate have failed to decree or issue software, they get whatever the **** I can be arsed to keep. I'm fairly sure the intention was originally to allow plod permanent instant access to our files. It was plainly obvious that it would be unbelieveably difficult for plod to manage such a task and hugely expensive so the demands of the Eu diktat are being paid lip service to!

excel, plod and the Eu uberstate have failed to decree or issue software, they get whatever the **** I can be arsed to keep. I'm fairly sure the intention was originally to allow plod permanent instant access to our files. It was plainly obvious that it would be unbelieveably difficult for plod to manage such a task and hugely expensive so the demands of the Eu diktat are being paid lip service to!

I have toyed with providing scans of the paper register. . . .

4(T)

LE

Good point. Has any Police farce actually defined what it expects by "electronic register"?! I.e. is it supposed to be searchable?

I didn't think of simply scanning the paper register, but of course that would create an "electronic" record, transmittable by email or memory stick.

ugly

LE
Perfectly legitimate. I have discontinued the paper register as I am terminally lazy and I wont make the electronic one available online for plod, they have to come and view it!

ugly

LE
Good point. Has any Police farce actually defined what it expects by "electronic register"?! I.e. is it supposed to be searchable?

I didn't think of simply scanning the paper register, but of course that would create an "electronic" record, transmittable by email or memory stick.
Ms Poples letter was sufficiently vague and hot on the heels of all of the buy now or break the law e mails from electronic register providers. I expect they thought we would be bullied into buying some software which would automatically update a page on Guntrader. As if you can get a dealer to part with cash!

ugly

LE
I firmly believe the Eu's intention was to force a 24 hr searchable online database (by plod) upon us. Of course it would mean leaving your records online somewhere or plod having a permanent link into your PC. Lets face it neither are ever likely to happen and a fine reason to vote ourselves out of Europe!

I firmly believe the Eu's intention was to force a 24 hr searchable online database (by plod) upon us. Of course it would mean leaving your records online somewhere or plod having a permanent link into your PC. Lets face it neither are ever likely to happen and a fine reason to vote ourselves out of Europe!
According to the Germans: http://www.bva.bund.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/EN/BVA/NWR_Flyer1_english.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4
According to the EU Weapons Directive, by 31 December 2014 all Member States must "ensure the establishment and maintenance of a computerized data-filing system" at national level for weapons that are subject to the Directive. The Directive also requires that all responsible authorities must have access to the data on file in this filing system.
They've supposedly established a centralized government run computerized firearms registry (I don't know how that project went though). I imagine this works by dealers going on-line, logging in, and entering or updating the registry data.

The justifications for this EU directive are variously described elsewhere as being partially as a result of the EU firearms pass allowing firearms across Europe, resulting in the need for police anywhere in the EU to review the relevant registration records, and partially as a result of the new UN arms trafficking control treaty. Both sound like the result of someone casting about for justifications for something that they want to do anyway.

I don't know how the UK firearms regulations work, so I don't know if the UK police already have a system that covers everything pretty adquately except what is sitting in dealer stocks or if they've got more or less nothing.

I suspect the UK government are paying lip service to the EU directive by claiming that any record at all is "electronic" so long as it's in someone's computer. Creating a new system along the German lines would be expensive, and it may be that the UK government simply doesn't want to spend the money on a project of marginal utility like this at this time.

The germans probably got it too work because being german filling forms in
And obeying regulations is jolly good fun plus they actually understand how much a system like that is going to cost.
Uk dont like forms or understand IT so hopefully didnt even bother. Because it would be a nightmare and most plod have little idea about firearms law and less about how to use a computer:(

According to the Germans: http://www.bva.bund.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/EN/BVA/NWR_Flyer1_english.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4

They've supposedly established a centralized government run computerized firearms registry (I don't know how that project went though). I imagine this works by dealers going on-line, logging in, and entering or updating the registry data.

The justifications for this EU directive are variously described elsewhere as being partially as a result of the EU firearms pass allowing firearms across Europe, resulting in the need for police anywhere in the EU to review the relevant registration records, and partially as a result of the new UN arms trafficking control treaty. Both sound like the result of someone casting about for justifications for something that they want to do anyway.

I don't know how the UK firearms regulations work, so I don't know if the UK police already have a system that covers everything pretty adquately except what is sitting in dealer stocks or if they've got more or less nothing.

I suspect the UK government are paying lip service to the EU directive by claiming that any record at all is "electronic" so long as it's in someone's computer. Creating a new system along the German lines would be expensive, and it may be that the UK government simply doesn't want to spend the money on a project of marginal utility like this at this time.
The German Nationales Waffenregister is something of a self-propelled goat f*ck. At the end of 2012 I demanded a record of what they think I own. Mid 2013 I eventually got around 20 pages of undecipherable gibberish. I managed to establish that they think I own at least 2 weapons that I haven't had since 2004, my Springfield 45 pistol is allegedly black powder:scratch:, the rest I gave up on. I contacted the authority in Bonn who promptly denied all responsibility and then contacted my local issuing authority who also denied all responsibility. I sent them copies of the correspondence from Bonn with a not polite request to sort it, after all I have paid not a little in the way of various fees for this dog shit.
Oh and last and probably least, they think I'm a German citizen--- error, fail.
This might sound trivial, but on asking around and reading German shooting mags it would appear that I am far from alone with this problem. Apparently in a rush to get the thing up and running considerable numbers of untrained staff were roped in to help. This resulted in such howlers as the firearm type number being quoted as the serial number. There are now God knows how many S&W revolvers with the serial number 686. "For black powder only" is apparently the manufacturers name in some cases!o_O A senior German police investigator has been quoted as saying that the Waffenregister is useless. For a few million Euro in set up costs plus on going costs of the best part of 1 million a year I would say that is well invested taxpayers money.:roll:

ugly

LE
So on par with the Canadian system then! That said I often have to tell our local farce that the rifles they have on my FAC were long ago sold and the 1 for 1 slots filled the next time when they reprint my ticket and give me slots vice the sold weapons!

So on par with the Canadian system then! That said I often have to tell our local farce that the rifles they have on my FAC were long ago sold and the 1 for 1 slots filled the next time when they reprint my ticket and give me slots vice the sold weapons!
The Canadian registry was binned a few years ago, and so perhaps can be considered to be working much better than the German one. The police were the ones who mainly wanted it because it apparently made their jobs easier. They moaned and complained when it was scrapped, but I haven't heard anything about it from them lately so I think they got over it.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We developed a very expensive bespoke online register which was imaginatively called "The Gun Register."

It was based on Microsoft Access and was actually rather good. I had big plans to develop the software and market it to other RFDs under the company banner.

Plod loved it because it was shiny and looked cool.

Not sure if its still used.