Electronic ear defenders - what to buy?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by theinventor, Apr 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night was a lovely early summer evening, so I grabbed my shotgun and went off on what my wife rather sweetly refers to as "an armed walk" round the fields.

Warm breeze, birds singing etc - at least I assume they were as once I put my ear defenders on I could hear bugger all.

So, I'm after some recommendations for a good set of active ear defenders to allow me to still enjoy the sounds of the country while keeping my hearing protected?
  2. issue ones?
  3. Nice idea, but sadly, no longer serving and without the right friends to get me a set!
  4. I have the puretone ones. Very expensive but on the whole pretty good. Wind noise can be an issue as you can imagine because the microphones pick it up.

They are custom moulded so you have to order them. Shop around for a price. You can actually buy them through the NHS although you will still pay a similar price - over £300.
  5. The 'best' electronic ones are supposed to be the MSA Sordin Supreme Pros, although many also swear by the Peltors.

I had a similar dilemma, but went in a different direction. I now use the Napier Pro 10 Max 3. This makes you look a bit like a a toy cyberman, but it does the job really well. It is light, comfortable and uses no batteries, plus you can hear all the tweeting birds you want! Best of all, they only cost £40. There's a cheaper version for rimfire, shotguns etc.
  6. MSA Sordin Supreme Pros
    Not a directly comparable product to be honest...
  7. Is there anywhere that sells issue one or ones that can be worn with a helemet as my hearing is knackered I struggle to hear the RCO's on ranges
  8. Horse for courses really. Slimline "hunting" electronic muffs are OK for just that, where volume of fire is low whilst the humungous ones are intended for use where there is sustained high level noise.

This shows the difference well in terms of measured noise reduction overall and at High, Medium and Low frequencies

MSA Sordin Supreme Pros
    SNR = 25 dB, H = 30 dB, M = 22 dB, L = 14 dB

Peltor ProTac
    SNR = 32dB, H = 31 dB, M = 29 dB, L = 24 dB

That represents a very big difference. Stick those numbers into the HSE calculator below (using the SNR tab) assuming a C weighted noise level of 145db (C-weighting or 'dB(C) is used to measure peak, impact or explosive noises) and you get the follow levels at the ear:

MSA Sordin: 124db

Peltor: 117db

120db is considered to be threshold for permanent hearing damage and whilst 7db does not seem like much, it represents about a 5X increase in sound energy.