Electronic Devices on Planes

The UK government keeps aviation security under constant review in conjunction with international partners and the aviation industry.

On 2 July we announced we were stepping up some of our aviation security measures. In line with the US advice, passengers on some routes into and out of the UK may now also be required to show that electronic devices in their hand luggage are powered up or face not being allowed to bring the device onto the aircraft. Passengers flying into or out of the UK are therefore advised to make sure electronic devices being carried in their hand luggage are charged before they travel.
Firstly, with this new security check in place, does anyone know how it works if you're carrying a portable hard drive, mac mini or other electronic device that doesn't have a battery and can't be charged or powered up without the cable?

Secondly, any idea how the aforementioned items would fare in checked luggage?

As there is no battery, then the battery can't be used as a power source for an IED.

It's not a threat. Hence why they are checking electronic devices with batteries.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
As there is no battery, then the battery can't be used as a power source for an IED.

It's not a threat. Hence why they are checking electronic devices with batteries.
I thought they wanted them switched on to prove that there is a battery in there. The replacement of a battery by a lump of HE and a v small det/power source is possible, surely? The battery in this Samsung is huge - a lump of PE half as big would knock a hole in a plane if held against the side, I'm sure.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Edited to say - I'm certainly no Felix, so probably talking balls as per usual.

minkey

Old-Salt
I believe you are on the right track snowy. DD I think you would probably be ok because there isn't a big lump of something showing up on the xray that may be a battery or HE but I'd check with the airline. From news reports they are still feeling their way and all doing things slightly differently if they decide it can't fly
Good luck

I believe you are on the right track snowy. DD I think you would probably be ok because there isn't a big lump of something showing up on the xray that may be a battery or HE but I'd check with the airline. From news reports they are still feeling their way and all doing things slightly differently if they decide it can't fly
Good luck
my bold,

I'm not going to go into too much detail as it would impinge on security, but to say, that if you think that they can't differentiate between a battery and HE on an X-ray, you're badly mistaken.

my bold,

I'm not going to go into too much detail as it would impinge on security, but to say, that if you think that they can't differentiate between a battery and HE on an X-ray, you're badly mistaken.
Thereby infringing security by telling us it's not HE they are looking for, well done!

Thereby infringing security by telling us it's not HE they are looking for, well done!
It doesn't say that or imply that what so ever! Please read the post.

It says that the machines can differentiate between HE and a battery. You should know what they are actually looking for on the X-rays and that I have not eluded to that at all.

minkey

Old-Salt
DD as has been pointed out I am well out of the loop these days. Still stand by giving the airline a bell tho.

minkey

Old-Salt

It says that the machines can differentiate between HE and a battery. You should know what they are actually looking for on the X-rays and that I have not eluded to that at all.
FF calm down, you were the one that brought infringing security into it. It's obvious even to my aged mum that it's something new. But I do now know that it can tell the difference between expo and a battery. Mind you I have seen LiPo batteries explode, damn done it again.

That may have been your intention, but not what is perceived.

False Colour X-Ray machines can tell, easily, the difference between a chunk of plastique and a battery. This is common knowledge and not a breach of anything OPSEC.

The reason they want you to switch on the device is to show there IS a battery in there, and that it hasn't been replaced by a miniature model of Clint Eastwood holding a stick of dynamite and a lighted cigar.

The battery box is the obvious biggest cavity in any electronic device. This hasn't changed since the eighties. So it's security theatre, once again.

I just love the thought of what these TSA thug-types think they're going to get away with, when internal-body-bombs become a way to get a bomb on board.

So how about going back to the obvious?

1) Western politicians; stop pi55ing so many brown people off.
2) Hire the Israelis to show people how its' done PROPERLY.
3) Profile the passengers to concentrate on people OTHER than elderly tourists and six-year-olds.
4) Stop hiring Afghans to bl00dy search me on my package holiday.

It's a ******* pantomime, I could whip out the DVD drive on an older mac book (as if I was gonna put an SSD in its place) the fill that gap with whatever I want and the mac would still power up fine.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Obviously it's improved since I wandered through a provincial uk airport. Bag goes through the scanner, chap starts to flap in a big way. Mate comes over for a look. Looks at me, obviously not bothered or running anywhere.
He does the bag packing thing. Yes, nobody touched it, it's all mine. I get to look too. It's a sony minidisc recorder and a Sennheiser mic.
They told me it looked like a pistol. Well I suppose it would if you were a ******* idiot.

Obviously it's improved since I wandered through a provincial uk airport. Bag goes through the scanner, chap starts to flap in a big way. Mate comes over for a look. Looks at me, obviously not bothered or running anywhere.
He does the bag packing thing. Yes, nobody touched it, it's all mine. I get to look too. It's a sony minidisc recorder and a Sennheiser mic.
They told me it looked like a pistol. Well I suppose it would if you were a ******* idiot.

Most of the useless ******* can recognise a pistol but not the componant parts. There was documentary on it a couple of years ago. "trevor mcdonald investigates" or something like that

I dare say the security model is far more complex than we think. Just as in drugs, where they are well aware of who is carrying long before they arrive at the airport, so too they know who is likely to be carrying other things, based on intel, profiling etc.

But they need to make us all feel inconvenienced, to avoid being sued.

What you are looking for is presence of the abnormal. Absence of the normal.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
That's why I keep getting pulled and ms skid2 gets left alone?

Latest Threads