Electronic autopsies of American War Dead may Save Others

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Recruiting_Office_reject, May 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An interesting article in todays New York Times that discusses a difficult subject but I thought might interest you folks in this section. The USA is CT Scanning all of their war dead and building a useful database of injuries and what caused them. Apparently this has never been done before systematically.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/health/26autopsy.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

Do you think some of this info will filter down to the UK eventually ?

2. Not if it prevents normal diagnostic work Im afraid ... i bet all our CT scanners (and variants) are working 24/7

We're skint

3. What a good idea, good job we do it already.

4. Beat me to it!

5. It seems like a very good idea to me, especially if it is producing the positive results outlined in the report. Every little bit helps.

6. Does the RAMC have a cadre of pathologists on hand? Or is it the medical officer /doctor that performs the exams themselves and act as coroner in military cases?

Mate of mine who was a qualified GP, did his few weeks of hell at Sandhurst, passed out as captain said to us lot that in his position as MO, he also had duties as coroner and pathologist?

7. A qualified GP and a billy bullshitter! Few weeks of hell on his PQO course? my arrse.

8. A doctor is required to run a body through a CT scanner? I think you have watched too much 'House,' after all only doctors work in the medical services.

9. Any procedure which helps make emergency treatment more effective has to be welcomed. It was the work of the Israeli Army during the Six Day War treating burns that radically altered the way we treated burns in combat. Medical knowledge is generally published and shared throughout the medical world so any knowledge coming out of experience or post mortem examinations will probably be well promulgated.
    I don't know if the UK carry out scans though, it appears that those who could pass on such knowledge are too busy bitching about doctors getting all the glory and their being a, sniff, unsung hero. I would assume though that since the US Army enjoys the moral and financial support of its Government it can afford all the MRI Scanners it needs for this task whereas we cannot.

10. CT scanners not MRI scanners, which not even the US deploy.

and, again, yes we do do this.

you could read the posts instead of willfully misunderstanding them.

11. You could of course stop being a pompous tw@ and either join in the posts or keep schtum. Life isn't all about scoring points. My mistake, I should of course have put CT scanners. Whilst we are on the subject of wilfully misunderstanding posts try looking at your own or are you too important? Let me give you a hand.

Your reply to this quite reasonable question about Post Mortem Examinations was:

as you can see he didn't mention scans he mentioned exams. You just got on your high horse over nothing and instead of taking the opportunity to enlighten him you decided to go on about Doctors not being the only members of the medical services, not get into Med School did we? Bad news, you wont make charm school either.

12. Be fair, he only had to do a 500m run for selection. Besides, I wish they would let us do the full course rather than just the dim sum version.

13. I thought THE pioneering work was done by those who worked on the Guinea Pig club members in Britain in WWII?

Didn't everything else mainly follow from that?

14. The Guinea Pig Club was about how burns were treated off the battlefield. The Israelis pioneered the use of Haemaccel to treat burned casualties (rather than the actual burns) on the battlefield, they almost pumped it into burned tankies with amazing success. This improved the survival rate immeasurably from FLOT to Echelon to base.

15. Not heard of that. Thanks.