Electrical Box Under the stairs - what is it and what’s the flashing light?

I think you’re right. I hadn’t looked at the damned thing properly. I was just ‘interested’ in the red flashing light.
I'm also interested when the red light flashes but not when it doesn't. I spend all my time being interested - not interested - interested - not interested...

It's all quite exhausting really.

If you have a smart meter installed, its a covert monitoring system that allows the electric supply company to ease drop via your mobile smart meters visual monitor, they can hear and see everything within a 180 degree arch, the information they gather, is passed onto DVLC, DWP, Plod, inland revenue, the coast guard, Argos, The RAC & AA.
Your bank, British legion, Arrse admin, RCMP, boy scouts, EE, Videophone, MI5/6. CIA, FBI. KGB, and Gay news. be afraid,........... be very afraid.
They're only interested if it's a pink or rainbow coloured flashing light.

Not the most exciting thread ever posted in the NAAFI but I know out there in the world of ARRSE someone will know the answer.

We’ve got an electrical box under the stairs that we don’t know what it does and it’s got a red flashing light. Can’t photo the light so I’ve drawn an arrow to point it out.
Government mind control device.

Stab it with a screwdriver until the lights go out.

Not the most exciting thread ever posted in the NAAFI but I know out there in the world of ARRSE someone will know the answer.

We’ve got an electrical box under the stairs that we don’t know what it does and it’s got a red flashing light. Can’t photo the light so I’ve drawn an arrow to point it out.
Red Light, could be a mini fornacatorium.

CFB
Take an Orange from.

RigPig

War Hero
It’s the light to show the discombobulator is powered up and working.

RP.

anglo

LE
Simple really,

For the meter in the photographs above, the label states 1000 Imp/kWh, so the LED will flash 1000 times per unit of electricity. We can use that value of 1000 to estimate the power. If a constant 1000W (1kW) is going through the meter, then in one hour (3600 seconds) the LED will flash 1000 times, so the LED will flash once every 3600/1000 = 3.6 seconds. With a constant 3000W (3kW) going through the meter, in one hour 3 kWh will pass through the meter (3 x 1000 = 3000 flashes in 3600 seconds) so the LED will flash every 3600 / 3000 = 1.2 seconds.

It is more likely that you will want to measure the rate of flashing, and from that calculate the power going through the meter. This can easily be achieved by reversing the calculation above as follows:
Power (kW) = 3600 (secs in 1hr) divided by (the seconds between flashes * number of Imp/kWh printed on meter)

For example, if the LED flashes once every 5.2 seconds on a meter labelled 800 kWh, the power going through the meter at that time will be 3600 / (5.2 * 800) = 0.865 kW.

See simple :)

<noduff >
I have a mate who worked for a major energy company, he had his smart meter set to upload data monthly because he reckoned real time analysis of the date was better than looking in the windows to see who’s home. Probably not in the skill set of your average burglar, but no doubt some spotty yoof could hack it...View attachment 449791
What was once a frightening story of the future, ( 1984) has now emerged as fact. Eric Blair would be amazed at how accurate his prediction of the future has become. The surveillance camera on his old home, the irony is magnificent.

Last edited:

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Google Box name & part no, why ask arrse or contact your electricity supplier & ask.

But really its to tell the company you are bypassing the grid.

Yokel

LE
its just a red flashing light installed to irritate people
In pre automation days, some homes and offices had a red headed woman to flash at people. It's progress Jim, but not as we know it.

Does the flashing continue in a power cut?

Does the light stay on if you flash at it?

If you shut it away so you cannot see it, does it still flash?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
In pre automation days, some homes and offices had a red headed woman to flash at people. It's progress Jim, but not as we know it.

Does the flashing continue in a power cut?

Does the light stay on if you flash at it?

If you shut it away so you cannot see it, does it still flash?
its like that blokes cat
schrodingers electricity meter

While we are on this subject, perhaps I could ask a similar question, whilst driving my car the other day, I went to turn a corner and I put the indicators on, as I was turning the corner I notice a green light on the dashboard came on, but then it went off, then it came on, then it went off, then it came on again, then it went off, as I finished turning the corner it went off for ages, then as I turned another corner it came on again, it then went off less then a second later, but then came on again, less than a second later, on, off, on, off it went, it continued to do this all the way home. What is the green light for and should I be worried? I even went down to the garage and checked if the light came on, an hour I sat there looking at it, nothing, I even checked under the car to see if it could be seen through the hole in my floor, I drilled that to see if I could see the light from underneath, nahda

Latest Threads