Electric mountain biking

Anyone got an electric mountain bike? I want one, but at upwards of £3000+ it's going to have to be worth the grief I'm going to get if I spend that sort of money

I'm retiring soon and, despite my wife's best efforts at getting me to do the 1001 jobs around the house that need doing, I intend having some 'Me Time' and getting rid of the Covid Curve belly with some biking. Road biking doesn't appeal and at 16stone I can't squeeze into lycra. The roads round my way are just too busy and fast anyway (and as my current job is in the Road Safety & Traffic team at the local Council it seems that every other week I get fatal reports through from Thames Valley Police which these days mostly involve cyclists on the road getting killed rather than motorists, so competing with potholes and HGVs and dicing with death doesn't appeal - and I don't fancy the idea of my name being on one of those Fatal Reports that my ex-work colleagues have to review and be passed around the office as they snigger at my foolish decision to retire early, as it's killed me)

Anyway, where was I? Electric mountain biking... Was out in the woods over the weekend and puffing away walking up a steep track and a group came whizzing past me with no effort at all. Covered in mud, having a great time, speeding uphill without having to breathe out your earholes with your heart pounding out your chest, or get off and push and it just generally looked fun... At 60 I don't want to be killing myself trying to get uphill just so I can have fun coming downhill. The electric mountain bike seems to be a revelation. Any recommendations? Pitfalls?

I'm not interested in getting an electric car, but an electric mountain bike to take the grunt away from getting uphill seems appealing the more I think about it.

Get one. They’re awesome. Do some research on the power unit - Bosch and Shimano are the leaders, but there are other excellent options.

Definitely get one. Around the Surrey Hills where I ride I now see almost 50% of riders on emtbs. And these are often guys in their 30s riding serious trails. A couple of mates have them and they take the grind out of getting uphill, allow more time for the fun stuff, and most importantly, you are still getting exercise. They also have a lower centre of gravity so feel more planted in the twisty singletrack.
Mrs D63 has one and she loves it as she can now come riding with me and she’s the one doing figure-eights waiting for me at the tops of the hills.

Last edited:
My folks have electric touring type bikes, normally only use the electric on long or steep up-hills.

They carry them folded in the camper and then use them for day trips/shopping etc. Generally they avoid roads and use bike trails and such in Europe or bridleways and disused railways in the UK....

They love them, and if the roads near them were less deadly for cyclists would use them instead of the car.....

I’ve got a cube hard tail mtb and I’m a fat knacker with a somewhat dodgy ticker who wouldn’t be able to get up on the hills around here without it. You can turn it off so if you want a traditional work out it’s still there but if going uphill in turbo mode try to look puffed out like every one else on normal bikes and not be seen scoffing a greggs and checking your phone out.

Apparently through a bike to work scheme one of our guys is getting one for about a grand off the list price.
Somehow I feel this is not in the spirit of things.

Why not?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I thought it was supposed to be about health and fitness, however I am considering it myself.
Hypocrite, probably.

isn't it also about getting people out of cars and improving congestion, pollution and polar bears* lives?

*other kinds of bear are currently available, get them now while stocks last.

I thought it was supposed to be about health and fitness, however I am considering it myself.
Hypocrite, probably.
Having an e-bike doesn't exclude health and fitness benefits. It is not entirely effort free, and even the simple fact of turning the pedals has some health benefits even if it's not at the level of riding a normal bike.

I don't have one, but my wife does, which means that we can cycle together. She doesn't blatt about on the maximum setting, although she will adjust the assistance upwards on tough hills. A 30 or 40 mile ride is still good excercise.

Having an e-bike doesn't exclude health and fitness benefits. It is not entirely effort free, and even the simple fact of turning the pedals has some health benefits even if it's not at the level of riding a normal bike.

I don't have one, but my wife does, which means that we can cycle together. She doesn't blatt about on the maximum setting, although she will adjust the assistance upwards on tough hills. A 30 or 40 mile ride is still good excercise.
The guy I referred to was horrified to find pedals not included!!!!!!!

Seriously, they wanted extra cash for them.

The guy I referred to was horrified to find pedals not included!!!!!!!

Seriously, they wanted extra cash for them.
:)
Normal for bikes, I'm afraid. There are various, incompatible, versions of cleats, so they usually just supply bikes without pedals.
I often hear this comment from people who are surprised about it, but I would always want to fit my own anyway.

Hypocrite, probably.
It's better for fitness in some cases, for a start it doesn't knacker my knees as much.

Yarra

War Hero
Definitely get one. Around the Surrey Hills where I ride I now see almost 50% of riders on emtbs. And these are often guys in their 30s riding serious trails. A couple of mates have them and they take the grind out of getting uphill, allow more time for the fun stuff, and most importantly, you are still getting exercise. They also have a lower centre of gravity so feel more planted in the twisty singletrac.
Mrs D63 has one and she loves it as she can now come riding with me and she’s the one doing figure-eights waiting for me at the tops of the hills.
Wot he just said.

Y

I recently got a Swytch kit for my cannondale mountain bike, (about £450 if you pre order and wait), easy to fit and can be removed of transferred to another bike (with the same size wheel). Having just spent the weekend riding the mtb trails round Sherwood Forest, I can thoroughly recommend it. Go for the thumb throttle option and you can just feed in power when you need it or pre select a power level to feed in as you pedal.