Electric Motorcycles

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Last weekend, at the MCN Festival of Motorcycling there was all the usual petrol powered machines. however Harley Ridable and Zero brought along some electric machines. There were also a few electric pedal cycles too.

I managed to get on one of the Zero rides. A model s

Fairly comfy, simple switches, nice clear screen with speed, power consumption/regeneration.

The ride out was on eco mode (on that model giving a max range of 178 miles). It sounds like an underground train. just the weird hum of the motor. This gets some funny looks from people who actually see you.

it's a nice smooth ride, but nothing spectacular. It'd definitely do as a commuter like this.
10 Miles later, switch to sports mode.

The bike now has a much reduced range. but it accelerates as if Micheal Knight has hit the turbo boost button on KITT.

I hour fast charge time, 4 hours on a 13 amp socket. If you get the 'charge tank' then it's going to take longer but you'll go further, after spending a lot of extra money.

I didn't get to try the HD, the queue was a mile long and just a line of fat stereotypes

Like electric cars (see other thread) they have come on massively, but (for me) like electric cars they cost too much and can't go far enough without spending time waiting for them to charge.

Anyone else tried one?

My question is about the HD’s, this side of the pond it seems the status of riding one is based on the highest decibels that the pipes can put out, will the electric ones have the same appeal if the bikes just make a whirring noise? Or will HD come up with some ridiculous artificial noise generating device to appease the egos?

Nomad1382

War Hero
When I first got back stateside and was looking for a bike, I gave the Zero a good look. As you said, it would be a fantastic commuter and around the town bike. Zero is much more affordable than the HD and I'm an HD owner.

My BiL (ex-Motor officer) told me of a video by Ewan MacGregor where he and his buddy ride electrics from the tip of South America northward. Lots of difficulties in keeping them charged as I understand it.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
My question is about the HD’s, this side of the pond it seems the status of riding one is based on the highest decibels that the pipes can put out, will the electric ones have the same appeal if the bikes just make a whirring noise? Or will HD come up with some ridiculous artificial noise generating device to appease the egos?

Three of the guys out on the ride with us were only talking about the lack of noise.
That was their reason for not buying one.
I felt I couldn't talk part in a discussion like that.

Three of the guys out on the ride with us were only talking about the lack of noise.
I cycled behind a Zero (FXS maybe?) some time ago in traffic. The lack of noise was eerie - but annoying as it meant that you could hear everything that was bashing about in the panniers.

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
It's going to be an extremely dull and sanitised world when you stop hearing Ducatis with straight through Termis or smell the reek of Castrol R wafting by. Will the attraction be the same? I doubt it, but I dare say they said the same thing when you saw fewer horses about the streets.

At the moment, anything electric is pretty pointless outside cities, something a car dealer agreed with me recently.

Arse_Bandit

War Hero
It's going to be an extremely dull and sanitised world when you stop hearing Ducatis with straight through Termis or smell the reek of Castrol R wafting by. Will the attraction be the same? I doubt it, but I dare say they said the same thing when you saw fewer horses about the streets.

At the moment, anything electric is pretty pointless outside cities, something a car dealer agreed with me recently.
I'm all for people buying leccy bikes, that'll leave a better selection of orgasmic big V twins for the me...

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
I sometimes get flak when out on my old two stroke from people festooned in Hi-Viz with bikes covered with spotlights going on about "the image if the motorcyclist"

Invariably older riders who have just started riding, and who are never to be seen from Oct.-April.

I try to explain you can do all the teddy bear runs and charity stuff you like, and dress like a womble, but car drivers will still hate you simply because you are on two wheels, no difference if a Harley on a Commuter!

If all bikes were silent and electric it would make zero difference.......

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
And where do you put your knees and feet? 4" fork travel on skinny poles and no mudguards suggests an art school mock-up.

Less practical than a Gold Wing on crossplies.

Even for an Electric bike, that is fugging ugly!!

It's not my style at all, but it is futuristic. One question.... why doesn't it have a front brake?
That Zero linked at the top looks like many modern naked/ commuter machines.

Chef

LE
An early review on the Zero:
And an interesting overview

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
Even for an Electric bike, that is fugging ugly!!
They were better 80 years ago!
1942 socoval.jpg