Electric Cigarettes - Fact or Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by blue-sophist, Sep 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I've been a 20/day smoker for 50 years. I'm still alive, and Aunt Phyllis lasted until she was 94. However, smoking is NOT a good thing; I know that.

So, we [the OH smokes as well] decided to have a punt on these electric things. The main reason [strange as it may seem] is that the transit hotel we use at Heathrow has just gone completely non-smoking.

The package was delivered this morning. Charge the battery, insert the nicotine cartridge/mouthpiece, and puff. OK, it tastes a bit different ... the OH smokes Menthol, but even she was reasonably content.

A typical afternoon banging the keyboard, I would usually smoke 5 or more. This afternoon ... NIL. Just the occasional puff at the electric thingy, instead of burning tobacco in the ashtray and probably only getting 5 puffs out of it anyway.

I'm seriously impressed. And it seems likely I will save a fortune, live longer, and be able to puff on this thing in public places!!
    Certainly the Heathrow Hotel can spin on it!!! :nod:
  2. A lad at work quit last year using one of those inhilator things, worked a treat and he's still off them.
  3. I tried cold turkey , patches , inhalers and failed with all of them. I then tried nicotine gum and it worked a treat , the gum nowadays is just as minty as any wrigleys etc so no more horrid aftertaste. I found it killed the habit aswell as the craving, as say after dinner where i,d reach for the fags , i just reached for the gum & within a month just did,nt bother. It took me about 3 months to knock the gum on the head , been smoke free over a year now.

4. blue-sophist

I'm not doing a commercial ... but this is the one we got.
    The Njoy DUO Electronic Cigarette

Two batteries, a 13A plug for the USB charger [not clear on the imagery], USB cable etc.
    They appear to be a fairly global brand.

Once you have plugged in the cartridge, just puff when you feel the need. There must be an air-pressure switch somewhere. After you have puffed, just stick it back in your shirt pocket.

And that cost less that a carton of 200 Superkings, which usually lasts just over a week.
  5. blue-sophist

It's only the first 1/2 day, but it seems to do the business. Useful accessories too, and unlike some schemes there's no contract for further supplies [like being trapped by the cell-phone provider].

And it gives you something to fiddle with in your hand!!

It's really weird putting your ciggie down on the desk with no ashtray, though!!
  6. Any of you found the Electric Muff yet. PM me if you have, it has to be one you can go down on mind.
  7. blue-sophist

I think they're still working on the taste factor. They may have the same problem with the ElectroFags, but it's probably a case of the flavour you're used to. :nod:

Still worth the effort though, he said, with a real one burning away in the ashtray costing me 25p while I'm typing ... whereas the ElectroFag is sitting there waiting for me to just "suck and dose". I think that's the bit that has really come home to me today ... FIVE SHILLINGS for a ciggie, and much of the time it sits in the ashtray burning away waiting for my next visit. My ElectroFag just waits, quietly and cleanly, for when I next need a wee jolt of nicotine.

Health issues aside, the enormous waste of money burning a ciggie you're not actually smoking has become very obvious this afternoon.
  8. myself and the better half have been smoke free for over 3 years thanks to champix (and it was free)
  9. blue-sophist

OK ... Chapix is a medicinal solution.
    NJoy includes the tactile dimension as well.

Not sure about trying to give up, exactly.
    But cutting the huge costs, and getting a longer life, tend to focus my attention these days.
  10. If I recall correctly these were going to be banned by the EU... Nothing serious, probably companies lobbying to get others on to their NRT or perhaps the fag companies.
  11. I tried these electronic ciggies and was very impressed as well. They certainly helped my cut down, but instead of continuing I got cocky and stopped using anything and inevitable the smoking went up again.
    Champix, used that this time round, didn't even complete the course but my last cigarette was on the 4th May. Mrs Fubes used Champix to stop as well. Best of luck to anyone trying to quit, its not easy.
  12. My OH has had one of the mini ciggie devices for over a year, she still smokes the real thing, but when out and about uses the electronic, can go the whole evening without having to visit the carpark for a drag, on two occassions she has been asked to stop smoking in pubs and restaurants, when puffing on the mini, brilliant. They have no effect on me for some reason , so what is champix, is it prescription only, determined to get the "weed" out of my life this time around, i really want that 3 wheel harley.
  13. blue-sophist

I/we will admit we weren't actually trying to give up as such. As the OH has just said, there's the occasional 'special ciggie', like after a meal, which actually matters. The rest is addiction, and the incredible annoyance of hotels declaring themselves TOTALLY non-smoking, instead of having a corridor of 'smoking rooms' where we don't upset the over-emotional.

I think I can cope with being addicted to a fix of Nicotine every 30 minutes or so ... it's all the other stuff associated with it that makes me a wee bit worried. I'm an OAP, you know, and I'm certainly noticing shortness of breath when walking up hills, and that sort of thing. So there's a wee general health issue for me ... and don't say "take more exercise": I have 2 dodgy knees and a dodgy back from playing Rugby. But I do walk the 15 minutes into Town for shopping and posting Bears!

There may be other side issues to the electric substitute ... whatever, I'm officially old anyway, and I'm going to die [just like the rest of you]. I'd just like to be able to annoy people for a bit longer. ;-)
  14. I read Allen Carr's (no relation to the comedian) Easy Way to Stop Smoking last February and I havn't smoked again since. Didn't use any kind of NRT at all. I highly recommend it, it cost me £8 from asda and it's saved me a couple of thousand so far.

If anyone's interested you can find the website here.