Electoral reform: make your voice heard

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, May 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Independent
  2. Dear Agent_Smith!

    As Russian citizen I haven't right to discuss the matter though I'm very interesting in the result of the discussion.

    What is your personal opinion?
  3. I am appauld at the blatant unfairness of the voting system.

    We need to bring in Proportional representation (at least some form of PR) and re-map the constituency borders to make them fair for all parties rather than just those that aim for the urban votes.

  4. Smoke & mirrors. Show me a country with PR that is a model of peace, prosperity, good order, and happiness, which is what these pro-PR people seem to be promising.
    The three examples quoted above, Scottish/Welsh assemblies and the EU Parliament don't exactly fall into any of these categories.

    KISS - keep it simple stupid!

    Agree on the boundary thing though.
  5. Until recently there was mixed 50/50 system in Russia (as in Germany). But new law introduced pure PR system with 7% threshold.

    Btw, it was seen as 'undemocratic move' by the West


    Introducing of pure PR in the UK would be a costless gift to mr.Putin. Even wide discussion in the UK about PR system would give him an excellent argument. He could say that the oldest democracy is moving in the same direction.
  6. The scottish system is a sort of halfway house between first past the post and PR. It seems to work ok.

    How can the current system be fair when there was only 2 or 3 % of the vote between 1st and 2nd, and yet that equates to about a 60 seat majority for labour?

    What about in cases where 49% of a constituencies voters vote for party A and the other 51% for party B? In the current system, party B get COMPLETE power for that consituency, effectively ignoring the views of 49% of the voters.

    Not exactly fair.
  7. Why bother? With postal voting you can have as many votes as you like! Unless of course you happen to be serving abroad with HMF and nobody tells you that the rules have changed, so you have NO vote. Plus ca change . . .