Election looming?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hellfyyr, Feb 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another sign that an election is looming and that the Government need to load the dice?

BBC News

Having already changed forever the way that the House of Lords works, they are now ready to meddle with the system again. I have no doubt that the proposed new 'constituencies' that elected Lords will represent will favour Labour.

Is there no end to their attempts to ruin the nation forever!

2. Surely someone has a comment?

3. H,

Following a great political tradition - 'No comment'.

PAW

4. It seem not, :shakefist: :shakefist:

5. I couldn't possibly comment.

6. A last ditch attempt to shore up their positions so they can win another term. This gets more like a banana republic everyday. :frustrated:

7. What I would like to see is an all elected chamber with a council type rolling election, so that a quarter stand for re-election every four years. This will stop the second chamber being an echo of the first (which would happen if the elections for first and second chamber were held at the same time) or a result of mid term blues - the result of an election being held in the middle of a first chamber parliament

8. Another circus paid for by the taxpayer!

9. You would rather have the ruling 'elite' back ruling would You? Or the debacle of cash for peerages rearing its ugly head again in 10 years or so? Because that is what the alternative is.

Unless of course You go down the Thai route

10. Looking more and more appealing the longer this shambles stays in power...

Having said that, the Thai government weren't dragged from their beds by the military and shot in the street. Still, that's why we have AARs, so we learn lessons for next time.

11. I have always thought that the term "ruling elite" applies to those who occupy Downing Street - not the House of Lords, none of whom rule in any sense of the word.

I don't particularly mind if Lord X or Lady Y have purchased their seat in the Lords, as long as it was done in the open (perhaps on ebay - now there's an idea) or whether the ggggggggg-grandson of Nell Gwynne's bastard child of doubtful Royal parentage occupies a seat. Neither do I particularly mind that the Government hands out the ermine to old and bold politicians. What matters is that the Lords should challenge the activities of the Government and Parliament at every opportunity using the years of experience available to them. If their challenges get up the collective noses of the Government - good on them. The House of Lords is the only obstacle in the way of a dictatorial Prime Minister - of whatever colour.

Litotes

12. Bingo!!!
    That's what they are there for. To act as a back-stop for any hair-brained legislation, that is forced through using a three-line whip.

And long may it be!

13. Does legislation not get the go ahead anyway if it is put down 3 times by the lords?

14. My suggestion for the House of Lords is thus :

All Hereditary Peers and their Successors who held hereditary titles granted up to and including the day before the creation of the first Life Peerage to be eligible for membership.

No political party membership to be permitted.

All current Life Peers and Peeresses to be precluded from membership EXCEPT former Prime Ministers.

The Lord Chancellor's position to be restored to that pertaining before the meddling by this ludicrous government.

The Parliment Acts to be repealed.

15. My suggestion for the House of Lords is thus :

All Hereditary Peers and their Successors who held hereditary titles granted up to and including the day before the creation of the first Life Peerage to be eligible for membership.

No political party membership to be permitted.

All current Life Peers and Peeresses to be precluded from membership EXCEPT former Prime Ministers.

The Lord Chancellor's position to be restored to that pertaining before the meddling by this ludicrous government.

The Parliment Acts to be repealed.