Election by the few ruled by the fewer

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Feenix, Jan 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some time ago I can remember seeing a letter or an article that spelled out just how few people participated in elections and as a result decision makers were put in place by an absolute minority of the population. It started off by demonstrating that only members of a political party could vote for executives etc. In the end it looked like an inverted triangle. Anyone got a link please I am trying to explain to a group how it is import to get involved and it will help considerably.

2. We'd achieve better results by creating a more direct link to public opinion, IMO. Our current system is still rooted in the means available in the eighteenth century to solve seventeenth century problems.

If you liken governance to theatre then the only thing elections can change is the cast performing the play. There's no inherent guarantee that the script they're performing will differ in any way.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Nicely put smartcarrot. I like the comparison with a theatre. Nail, head etc.

4. Generally I'd agree with you, however I think there's been 3 major rewrites of the script in the last 70 years;

Clem Attlee rewrote the post war script
    Harold Wilson rewrote McMillans script
    Margaret Thatcher last rewrote it in the 80s

Looking further back then Lloyd George was probably the only one that rewrote anything before them

5. You should try proportional misrepresentation, like here, where the strongest minority always gets a stranglehold on the winning party!

• Like Like x 1
  6. We're experimenting with that now, it's called a coalition government

• Like Like x 1
  7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I favour the Ankh Morpork system. One man, one vote. And that man is the patrician.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Just to question your choice of metaphor..

I don't even think we get much choice in the cast.. All we are choosing is the theatre company!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Only land owners and those bearing arms for the crown should be able to vote.

10. Civil Servants run the country, not the politicians. Decisions on what happens in the majority of government are planned years and decades in advance. It is not possible to do this on a 5 year basis, this is why so many election promises are broken because as soon as they get in they cannot get it past the Civil Servants that are the real power.

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the MEP elections are far worse than the parliamentary ones.

12. You're looking for an article that explains something you don't quite understand, so that you can use it to explain that to another bunch of people? It sounds to me like you have an opinion and are looking for evidence to back it up. Thinking like that is the reason politics is the way it is.

Try looking at all the evidence, forming an opinion, and communicating that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Considering that it is ALWAYS about the money....only net contributors (taxpayers) should have the vote. If you want a say...then switch jeremy kyle off, get off your ass, and buy your way into the the process, otherwise...**** off and be grateful for what you get....

• Like Like x 1
  14. 123

123 LE

So succinct - an excellent analogy/metaphor

15. Your attitude towards 16 year old school kids getting the vote shouldn`t be to hard to work out.