Electing a Cabinet

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by custard_war, Oct 18, 2006.

?
  1. PM only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cabinet only

20.0%
  3. PM and Cabinet

60.0%
  4. Leave everything as it is

20.0%
  5. How dare you doubt our Glorious Leader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What with all the scandals that are popping up at the moment, I've been pondering.

It seems strange that we vote for our local MP in a general election (essentially) and he/she whose party wins the most seats becomes PM and appoints their mates to cabinet positions (or just gives them a cabinet salary for sweet FA).

It could be argued that some of these Ministers have been criminally negligent in their duties. So..

Once the seats have been voted on, should the PM and Cabinet be voted for seperately from the pool of willing MPs?

Without Party alliances, these positions wouldn't seem as untouchable and it might give the occupants the incentive to work harder and better

2. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

Many, many years ago in a land far from here etc but early 1900s at least, when an MP was appointed to Government Office he had to go back to his consituency and be re-elected.

In effect they were saying, your MP will be spending his time running the country and so won't be able to spend much time here, although we will send someone along - is this OK?

In fact in, I believe 1920, Churchill lost his seat in Dundee after being appointed to Cabinet and going back to his constituency for a by-election. A Tory worthy (lacky) then stood down to let Churchill back in. I believe the practice stopped fairly soon after this event.

That is the gist of it but I am sure some history monkeys can give the exact detail. So in days of yore, the public were consulted, in a way, about the cabinet.