Elected Peers within 4 Years

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jun 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

BBC News - First elected peer by 2015, says Lord Strathclyde (c) Auntie

It's the 15 year terms for "Senators" that I don't agree with.

If you have a bi-cameral system (which we do) then either both houses get elected at the same time, or you elect one chamber, and then after an interval the second, for the same fixed length period.

2. Another class of elected crooks.

3. In all fairness, it's been my perception that, at times, the lords have been the more sensible part of parliament and have kept some of the more idiotic elements, and legislation, within the elected chamber in check.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Exactly, and that's why Labour set out to destroy the Lords.

• Like Like x 3
  5. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Yes, but not the elected/political appointee bit of it, which has become increasingly venal, particularly given the last culling of Commons scum in 2010.

6. "it's been my perception that, at times, the lords have been the more sensible part of parliament".Are you for real?.All i've seen is Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz coming from those who could be bothered to tip up.

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Personally I think they should go for a third elected, a third nominated (in proportion to party size in the House of Commons) and a third selected at random by lot - like they do for jury service. 15 year terms will lead to a lot of stomach-churning grandstanding and no end of corruption.

• Like Like x 1
  8. They're barking up the wrong tree with reforms in the shape of elections.

There's an inherent flaw in our modern democracy that people who have never had a real job end up in charge of things they have no experience of, the last thing we need is a second chamber full of these types.

Surely it would be better to reform it so only people with real life skill in relevant areas can be appointed?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baggsy tea maker/beer/spirit getter of.

10. A bit of a whiff of creeping republicanism wafting under the door, I fancy, still we do need a better method of populating the upper chamber or than poly appointees, which reeks to high heaven of sinecureitis.

11. the earywig bde.

12. But this is what the great British public, in their wisdom, wanted. In days gone by (not that far by, though) people were always complaining that MPs were only part time. The had jobs as bankers or CEOs or Union officials or whatever (depending on the party) and only turned up on a part time basis, usually in the evenings. MPs then voted on more "family friendly" hours and the public clamoured for people to give up their day jobs and become MPs on a full time basis. Of course, sometimes what you wish for comes back and bites you on the bum, hence the reason we have so many full time politicians that come up the party route with no real life experience (again, all parties).
    At least by not having an elected House of Lords, there has been a bit of a check on the whims of the party politicians, although a lot of this has disappeared since the political appointees have increased. I reckon that, if both houses were elected, you'd have those who failed to get into the Commons standing at the next election to try and get in the Lords (or Senate or Congress or Old Boys Club or whatever).

13. How can you elect a peer? I want peers to gain their position by force of arms, with an acceptance speech along the lines of;

'I fought for this peerage and it is mine! And I'll slay any whoreson who dares gainsay me my reward!'

I agree with Sunoficarus that the lords were targeted by Blair's mob because they were not on message. A wedge of people who are there because of an accident of birth seems as good a system as an MP who has sucked his way up the greasy pole of patronage.

Let us not forget the example set by Viscount Stansgate, Anthony Wedgewood-Benn who gave up his peerage to end inheriting a position of power, by an accident of birth, father of Hilary Benn, and grandfather of Emily Benn. I've just googled the man of the people, and **** me sideways, his dad was an MP and so were both his grandfathers!

What is it like in Benn Towers?

'Now listen young Emily, your father is an MP, I were an MP, my father and his father before him! So you're going down t'house wether you want to or not, if it were good enough for us, its good enough for you. And there'll be no more talk of working for a living!'

14. Some if the commons debates can barely muster a handful of the elected representatives either.

15. All-elected Lords? Fantastic, we desperately need more professional politicians running things.