eldest on aptitude.selection

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by otter, Jan 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick one....whats the eldest anyone knows that have attempted apptitude/selection for the Reserves. Again not the regs as it isn't relevent.

(and I mean KNOWS, NOT my teacher's mate's, uncle's, dogwalker's, nephew said....etc etc!!) :D

From the proverbial horses mouth, (someone on the course) I have heard a 36yr old. Was this a special case??

2. 40+ has been done with adequte fitness.
  3. I'm 42 and i'm regularly coming midway in the pack on the 1.5 mile run (11.24 is my best time). Still got part 1C to do.

Is 45 the upper limit at the moment?
  4. I saw a chap on selection last September who was 43, he failed due to fitness among other things.
  5. Thanks for replies...should have said meant selection/aptitude with the UKSF mob!!

Upper age is 34yrs according to website but I have heard on the grapevine they may be able to waive this for certain circumstances.

6. msr

msr LE

Phone them up and ask.

7. I have and had the reply I wanted. Merely looking for some information....
  8. SAS(R) or SBS(R)?
  9. 21/23 SAS is 32 for civvies, 34 for ex-military.

SBS(R) is probably the same, though they do a shorter and more intensive Selection than SAS(R) - they do the Hill Phase in one month, alongside the Regulars.

Also, SBS(R) Selection is based in the South of England, although they have Detachments all over the country. So it takes a lot of time off work and possibly some travelling as well if you want to try out for SBS(R).

So if you're an old fart(40)like me, you're sh1t out of luck! :wink:
  10. That is what I was going to say about the Shakey Boots. I think there is no hard and fast rule regarding age, my brother attempted (and failed) SBS(R) selection last year at 38 (although he had spend 16 years as a Bootie).

There is a common misconception that to apply for SB you need to have X amount of years under your belt; in reality anyone with trained soldier status is eligible to apply. Although, Territorial Army candidates are required to successfully complete the Reserve Forces Commando Course prior to being eligible for operations.

If you are considering SB your final chance of getting on selection for this year is to be on the SFBC in late February as SB do selection once a year (incorporating 'Summer Hills').

I really do not know anymore than that, but it is always best to get the information from the horse’s mouth anyways.

E-Mail: reserves@LAKE-PARK.co.uk
    Telephone: 01202 202714

Either way, best of British to you fella.