Elderly parents

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Enigma266, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am after some advice please for a friend of mine. Two elderly parents, both not in good health. Dad is barking and has just come out of hospital after a prostrate operation (which didnt go well). Neither have served. There is money behind them as they have worked hard all their lives and will be entitled to the square root of feck all. Help the Aged are a waste of space. Doctors dont want to know and hospital, well, they are just trying to kill Dad off asap with infections! Mum is ok but is struggling as primary carer as she is not well herself. I just need to know where to turn to please. Is there anyone who I could speak to to see whether we could get help for mum a couple of days a week? Any help in any direction would be appreciated.
  2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Have a look at the below mate

DLA is for under 65s not means tested but the direct payments for care are means tested for the individual and not the household, if you need any more info let me know.

If over 65 may be eligible for Attendance Allowance in lieu of DLA which may also increase pension credits

Direct Payments for care http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10016128

Disability Living Allowance http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/financialsupport/dg_10011731
  3. Access to all NHS/Social Services assistance will be by referral by GP. This is "as of right", so make the GPs life miserable if they do not make a referral to Social Services. You can contact Social Services direct, (based on usual place of abode), but they will seek opinion of the GP.

The next stage is a needs assessment by Social Services - this again is a right, so get nasty if needbe, no matter who's paying. The needs assessment should highlight any benefits not being claimed and the assistance services available. Mental health services are normally poor, but some care assistance in the home and potential respite care is possible, either based on the needs of the ill parent or the carer.

If he's truly barking, the NHS may pick up the full tab for residential care, I have the rules if you need them as part of my job as an IFA. PM me if needed.

Depending on the mental health issue, the Altzheimers Society, HERE, can be of assistance. (look at the guidance notes on the website).

(My Father in Law had full blown dementia and we have been through this exercise for him. He died on the 18/11/2009 of pneumonia, contracted in hospital. He did serve in the 14th Grenadier Division of the Waffen SS, also known as SS-Galizien, and later as 1st Ukrainian, '43-'45).
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours