Elderly lady left to starve!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by missy, Sep 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was in the news today!
    Really shocking!

BBC News
  2. How much was she worth?
  3. Fcuk all considering she had know pension and couldn't afford food!!
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

If only she hadn't paid her Council Tax - she'd have got 3 squares a day in prison...
  5. I'm no snob, but several quotes in the story, suggest you might...:-

"...for the cafes and pubs of Warrington town centre, and not returning until night..."

"...was a difficult lady..." ("difficult" is defined as "pain in the arrse" in the OED)

Anyway, if her pension was sent back to base each time, as she had no letterbox, how did she fund her drinking? Christ knows, I'm on a good whack, but I'd be broke after a few weeks (even at Warrington prices!)
  6. Mother of ten and the son says "He said he blamed no one person or agency."

No self guilt there then just collect those Wedgewood pieces off the sideboard and move on.........
  7. Spreadsheet, you may want to reflect on your reasoning in that

She was 79 therefore born around 1927, when she was having children 10 would have been the norm also no pill and abortions illegal then.

She was probably seeking company when visiting the cafes and pubs after all what was there to do in her house if she had no income.

Difficult probably dose mean pain in the arris but to who? obviously to the agencies who draw a salery and are "highly trained" to recognise situations such as this and act accordingly. Obviously sops were not being carried out here.

Where did you get the impression that she drank? Having scanned the artical I can find no ref other than she visited cafes and pubs.

Its interesting to note that her son attaches no blame, I bet he dosen't. Far easier to have his old dear in a home than fight for her to get care in her own home. If I was in her place I would not have wanted to go in a home either.
  8. agree with all of that!! know one should be treated like she was!
  9. "Where did you get the impression that she drank? Having scanned the artical I can find no ref other than she visited cafes and pubs."

Eh? :roll:
  10. Well - that's me told...!
  11. Mother of ten , how comne not one of them was visiting regularly and making sure she was OK?
  12. Ok she tried to cut ties with her family....But hey 10 kids and not one of them bothered to see thier mum.. Yes the agents are to blame in some way but her family had responsibility as well...Don't know how her kids sleep at night as I know I won't beable to live with myself knowing I had neglected my mum in such a way she had to starve to death...
  13. Probably because she was a horrible mad old woman.Just because she has family doesn't mean they care or can cope .By all accounts she sounds difficult
    probably refusing help and avoiding people who could help her.Sad case.
  14. My Nan was born in 1912. She was brought up as a working class girl who knew her place in sosciety. She had many friends all through her life and was well liked by all. Her catch phrase was " mustn't grumble!". 2 years ago I watched her suffer in one of New Liabours flagship hospitals. She was hospitalised and given a bed in a corridor of the A&E with a curtain around it. This area was given the title of " Hospital bedspace" in order to fill the box in this hospitals target figures. she was not even offered a cup of tea in 4 hours.

I personally let it be known to my nan that I thought she was being badly treated and she told me to be quiet she was in safe hands?

My nan is dead now she didn't die with dignity at all.
  15. The moral of the story - Get a house with a letterbox, or melt into the sofa.