Elderly Care Homes in the News

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tremaine, Apr 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC item at BBC News - Regulator criticised after woman assaulted in care home If true, these events follow the umpteen allegations over the years, and dodgy practice claims about Care Homes. It's been suggested that vulnerable and elderly clients are systematically abused behind closed doors. Not very comforting for those heading toward their dotage, or with Mum or Gran, Dad, or old uncle Jim from the war, possibly living in these places. Certainly, the allegations have to be proved, and certainly the attitudes and practices inside the care sector could do with a shakedown with the reintroduction of compassion and humanity. Long since extinct in some experiences.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Have a gander at the pay rates for Care Assistants and think about what type of person such pay rates attract.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Mainly happens because people see £ signs in opening up care/residential homes. No experience and little interest, but it's a money maker. Local authority provision has been run down, NHS needs beds - private sector smells blood!
  4. Sad but true.
  5. Sadly this is so true where profit outweighs a standard of care and most of all basic treatment of a vunerable person.

I hope that the individuals responsible are taken to task.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. What gets me is those who have looked after their savings have to pay and the wasters get it for free! I`ll have everything I own offshore/hidden by the time Im dribbling and waffling.......soon , my will benefactors will get a credit card for my offshore account and the PIN will be tattooed on my arrse, also avoids inheritance tax .
    • Like Like x 1
  7. There should be camera's in every room in care home's , No one knows what goes on behind closed doors , especially where the patient is unable to speak and are young ,elderly or are disabled and vunerable . Large amounts of money from clients, families and the tax payer are being spent , yet, no one knows for sure when loved ones are being subjected to abuse or neglect. More accountability and random spot checks are needed on a regular basis with out informing the care home's etc .
    • Like Like x 4
  8. At the end of last year it became necessary for my father (90), suffering from a combination of worsening Alzheimer's and other 'mental' problems, to enter a commercial care home. I have been blown away by the dedication, kindness and good-humour of the staff, including those on very low pay, in dealing with their often very trying patients. I sure as hell couldn't do it.

Yes, it's a business and yes, there are occasions when the time/resources are a bit stretched, but it is nothing like the horror stories you see in the press - and the home has a better reputation locally, and deals with more difficult cases, than the local council run home. But I'm talking about a small town, not a big city. Many of the patients and their families know each other, and visitors will often look in on non-relatives; and the non-medical/managerial staff are largely locals. There are lots of networks of blood, school, sports teams, etc, etc at work exercising informal monitoring of the place and keeping it decent. Different in the middle of Glasgow or Manchester I suspect.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Well a lot of the elderly used to be in the care of Hospitals and Council homes but again i'll blame Margaret Thatcher, she wanted these places closed down and people to be in homes run for profit. I've seen a number of residential and nursing homes and I reckon some dog kennels are better.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. My wife has been a carer for many years and this is just so common now its not even shocking to her.
    Carers with zero empathy for the residents? Poor food? Zero dignity shown to residents? Young male staff undressing and washing old ladies who are clearly hugely shocked at the indignity? Untrained foreign staff who can barely communicate with the other staff, let alone frail and vulnerable old people?

Hardly a week goes by without my wife complaining of being short staffed and the numbers made up with agency staff, mostly male, many of whom have poor language skills and a very poor attitude to elderly people.
    Even many of the full time staff are not much better. All of the above but add in residents being packed off to bed mid afternoon by some of the shift managers because its more convenient for their staff and allows them to kick back and take a break from caring.

Staff sleeping on shift? All too common. Staff ignoring call buzzers because they are too busy playing games on their phones? All too common. Management topping off the shift with extra staff in the form of their best workers brought in on overtime and sending their most 'disruptive' clients out for the day when they know an inspection is due? Oh look! What a wonderful home with no problems! That's a common trick in council run homes by the way. Poor staff with a bad attitude towards residents who don't get pulled up or dismissed despite complaints? Well, I know he/she can be a bit abrupt, but they're always willing to do all the overtime I ask them'. That seems to be a get out of jail card.

As always, this programme, the latest of many over the years, will spark some outrage, some MP's will demand 'something is done', but in a months time, nothing will have changed and the horror that is residential care for far too many of our elderly will go on getting worse.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I'm lucky enough to be able to care for my 92 year old mother at home.

Thanks for posting your stories, which help to convince me that I'm doing the right thing, particularly as Social Services categorically advise against moving elderly people out of their own homes.

I will now stick two fingers up at people who say "the only reason you don't put her in a home is because you want her money".
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Except of course it's rife in the NHS as well. This is not a case of "don't believe all you read in The Daily mail", it's a case of "my Great Aunt was treated so badly (& was "punished" by the Nurses after she complained) that the family stagged on 24 hours a day until she escaped so she got some basic care"...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I remember doing some agency work at one particular nursing home, it was a night shift, the staff wanted to get about a third of the patients up and dressed starting at 0300hrs. I told them they couldn't and by 0400hrs i'd a load of staff in tears as they were supposed to get this number of patients up before the day staff come in to work. I only worked in a handful of nursing homes and decided driving for HGV agencies on less money was preferable to working in nursing homes.
  14. Yes, of course you are right, the NHS isn't without failings but when these changes were fetched in we weren't burdened with targets and computers. Nursing was just about nursing, now it's so different. When we had elderly care hospitals I saw some very good standards but of course Thatcher cut the nurses, cut the staff and then we had NHS trusts that cut everything.
  15. I work in the removal caper.Only the other month we moved a old biddy from her nice bungalow to a care home.My dog has more space than this old biddy has in the care home.One room big enough for a single bed,bedside cabinet and a wardrobe.They might as well put her in the broom cupboard.Hope i kick the bucket b4 my time comes to get slung in a carehome.
    • Like Like x 1