Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Watcher, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got back from my annual pilgrimage to Bisley and have the usual classic case of Bisley elbow. Have tried moleskin but it doesn't quite work. Thinking of buying some Viper pads to wear under my jacket; are they any good?
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Dunno, I use a 1mtr long copper pipe soft foam insulating tube cut into 10cm lengths and held in place by an old sports sock with the foot bit cut off.....works perfectly, each 10cm piece lasts about 4-5 shoots (circa 10hrs).
  3. Are you a service rifle shooter? do they need to be beneath clothing. If not then the builders knee pads are pretty good. foam or rubber, elasticated straps no where near the price of proper elbow pads.
  4. Its for TR; I have a shooting jacket with all the rubber grip surface etc. so I need them to go underneath.
  5. For civvy target shooting you want to avoid the pads with a hard outer plastic shell as these can cause your elbows to rock, preventing you from maintaining a stable firing position.

I now use the Blackhawk neoprene pads and they seem to work very well. However, I'm not a TR shooter, so I wear these outside my jacket.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to have (and probably still do in my Tardis like garage) a pair of the old softish elbow pads for small bore riflemen to wear outside their non padded coats on on bare arms in summer. Yours if I can find them!
  7. I use one of the under body armour shirts, just replaced the elbow padding with some sleeping mat. Lets you move and is nice and light.
    Works a treat.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Try my option - it will cost you 2 quid and an old sock.

ISSF rules ban any sort of padding in addition to what is allowed under clothing regulations, I chipped my elbow as a kid and had to find any invisible way to avoid the suffering...
  9. Alternatively, get a shooting mat with the maximum legal amount of padding (50mm). It's far easier to add the padding outside the jacket than inside. Out of curiosity, was this the grass firing points of Century, or the concrete of the Cooper range?

Secondly, you could have a play with your firing position; you may find that there's a way that you can place your elbow to avoid trapping nerves etc.

Your handy hint for next Bisley is:
    * Find the HPS tent (probably near Fultons)
    * Ask Robert (bearded bloke selling things). He's used to training for multiple hours a day in prone, and has competed and coached internationally, so he should be able to help you...
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Mats are only legal in UK I believe.....I have a Kurt Thune one that is brilliant, but never been allowed to use it anywhere in DE or FR....
  11. ISSF rules allow mats (that 50mm mximum depth is the ISSF ruling); but if mats are provided by the competition organisers, you have to use the issued ones.

It's just a difference in culture - in the UK, they're seen as personal kit, in Europe they're seen as part of the range fixtures and fittings (with the result that they're either old and battered, or rugged rather than comfortable).

Even at top European ranges like Munich or Milan, you find coir matting or similar (much like a very big doormat). Cheap, and doesn't wear out - but rather prickly.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I shoot off them a lot.
    These bits of the ISSF rules apply I think: The use of any special devices means or garments which
    immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the shooter's legs,
    body or arms are prohibited in order to ensure that the performance
    skills of the shooters are not artificially improved by special clothing. All shooting jackets, shooting trousers and shooting gloves must be
    made of flexible material that does not materially change its physical
    characteristics, that is, become stiffer, thicker or harder, under
    commonly accepted shooting conditions. All lining, padding and
    reinforcements must meet the same specifications. Any lining or
    padding must not be quilted, cross-stitched, glued or otherwise
    affixed to the outer clothing layer other than at normal tailoring
    points. All lining or padding must be measured as a part of the

and: Shooting Mats
    The use of private mats is prohibited.

There are no regs applying to what the range must provide as far as I know......
  13. For over 30 years,I used Volleyball elbow pads under jacket,cheap,comfy,non-restrictive,lubbly jubbly! :lol:
  14. In short order I had a day at Altcar then a couple of days on Stickledown then two on Century. I have a 'normal' shooting mat of the type most often seen in the UK, bought in the NSRA. It has some padding and some rather deep grip material on the foremost 1/4.

Ugly - your offer is very kind but hold fire until I can chew over the sound advice I'm getting here.
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'm sure - would not get past the control inspection at a competition though....