• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Ejection seats for sale.

These two Ejection seats were left in our workshop by an officer who wanted them turned into swivel office chairs. The project never materialised and the officer left the battalion. The gaffer wants rid of them off the shopfloor now.
Can anyone identify what aircraft they would be from and maybe estimate a value. They were bought from a memorabilia auction I believe so would they be safe for the almighty Ebay?

Any advice or offers would be appriciated.

Apologies, photos will follow.

Sorry I'm crowing it with photoshop trying to compress the buggers down.

Crafty990 said:
Sorry I'm crowing it with photoshop trying to compress the buggers down.
Photoshop? just use MS paint, and shrink the size of the photo. It's easier.

I saw an ejection seat for sale in Harrods. Accepted it had been tarted up, but it was on sale for something like £4k. They don't come up regularly....! Geddit

Feck me I would not buy one - press the elevate lever and be 2000 feet up with no parachute - if you mange to go through the roof in the first place

I'm still mongin it with the photos but I've found out the seats are Mk 3 Martin Baker's out of an AVRO Vulcan.

Same as this but without the cushioning.

www.avrovulcan.org.uk/misc/3KS1.jpg

If its a Vulcan babg seat, it'll prob be a MB Mk3. Spike is our seat expert so no doubt he'll pop along later and bore you to death asking questions about drogue guns, barometric timers and serial numbers. :roll:

Pics.

Attachments

YESSSSS! I am the master of photo shrinkage.

Anyone any idea of the value of these babies. Is our Fitter section brew fund gonna end up like Blairs slush fund?

Crafty990 said:
YESSSSS! I am the master of photo shrinkage.

Anyone any idea of the value of these babies. Is our Fitter section brew fund gonna end up like Blairs slush fund?
They most certainly are a pair of Vulcan bang seats. The bad news is they are fairly common items. But the good news is, if you can get all the various ancils such as PSPs, cushions and harnesses and restore them into grade A condition, you could get a couple of grand each for them. As they are, not too sure.

Belgian Ebay has one going for £2650 but its immaculate;

MB mk3K

I know were there are five, but unfortunatly still in the Vulcan in Newark

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
They most certainly are a pair of Vulcan bang seats. The bad news is they are fairly common items. But the good news is, if you can get all the various ancils such as PSPs, cushions and harnesses and restore them into grade A condition, you could get a couple of grand each for them.
And a set of cartridges, to make them more "interesting" :D

tropper66 said:
I know were there are five, but unfortunatly still in the Vulcan in Newark
I'm sure the Vulcan only had 2 ejection seats, the 3 crew in the back had parachutes for bailing out in the traditional manner.

Wasn't there a (urban myth) re escape from V bombers being impossible - something about airflow over cockpit area? Certainly the fly-boys at Muckyharak during the Rhodesia embargo claimed this but I concede it may have been Victors and not Vulcans.

[quote="The-Lord-Flasheart]
They most certainly are a pair of Vulcan bang seats. The bad news is they are fairly common items. But the good news is, if you can get all the various ancils such as PSPs, cushions and harnesses and restore them into grade A condition, you could get a couple of grand each for them. As they are, not too sure.

Belgian Ebay has one going for £2650 but its immaculate;

MB mk3K[/quote]

Frig me! Might go to work on the buggers. That dude whose selling it has got some wacky gear for sale. Also, have you seen the toiletries advert ebay has slapped on his item.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Refurb & send to 10 Downing St as gentle hint.

Only the two pilots had bang chairs - the other 3 had to unstrap, get to a hole/door and throw themselves out........