Either TA or Regs???

#1
hey, hope anyone can help!!! i'm currently in the TA training as a metalsmith.. have been for nearly five years. Due to a change in relationships i have the urge to join full time..i'm only 22 so why not?? a few years ago i was medically reffered for one year and in that time i enlisted into TA.

I'm a soldier through and through and love the army life and the experiences!! i have the chance to go to cyprus for 6month tour but not sure weather to join full time as a metalsmith!!

i have looked intro transferring but nothing came of it as i would have to leave the TA and re-enlisted to the regs and go through all the training again!!!!!!!

Any help and advice would be welcomed with open arms!!
 
#2
Evening.

Go to Cyprus as a metalsmith - if you don't like life as a metalsmith you've had a chance at it and 6 months to think about something else.
If you do like it - either keep at it in the TA or sign up full time - You've got a great opportunity to get paid, get a tan and try something - give it a go!

What other trades have you thought about? There's plenty to do.

Good luck Moggy of the junior type!

CC_TA
 
#3
well when i joined over 4 years ago i had the choice of three trades

clerk
Storman
metalsmith

metalsmith i liked the most...to be totally honest itend to do alot more hands on stuff when i go on exercise. i'm the only metalsmith in my unit so i'm normally left to do sod all!!!
 
E

EScotia

Guest
#5
Bit surprised if you have the opportunity to practise the excellent trade of metal bending on a 6 month tour of Cyprus in the current climate.

From what I know, you are more likely to be operating in the Inf role on future TA 6 month Cyprus tours.

After more than 30 yrs in the Corps I can only recommend going Reg. Should you not be sure it is the right thing for you; sign up for the shortest you can & extend/leave as the cap fits.

Met some absolutely brill metal benders in my time, worth their weight in gold at 1st line (sorry, DEME(A) are moving them all aren't they :? ).
 
#6
moggyjnr said:
hey, hope anyone can help!!! i'm currently in the TA training as a metalsmith.. have been for nearly five years. Due to a change in relationships i have the urge to join full time..i'm only 22 so why not?? a few years ago i was medically reffered for one year and in that time i enlisted into TA.

I'm a soldier through and through and love the army life and the experiences!! i have the chance to go to cyprus for 6month tour but not sure weather to join full time as a metalsmith!!

i have looked intro transferring but nothing came of it as i would have to leave the TA and re-enlisted to the regs and go through all the training again!!!!!!!

Any help and advice would be welcomed with open arms!!



Go for gold geezer! do your TA thing and THEN join up in any reg you care to,
with your spirit you can do anything you want!
 
#7
CC_TA said:
Evening.

Go to Cyprus as a metalsmith - if you don't like life as a metalsmith you've had a chance at it and 6 months to think about something else.
If you do like it - either keep at it in the TA or sign up full time - You've got a great opportunity to get paid, get a tan and try something - give it a go!

What other trades have you thought about? There's plenty to do.

Good luck Moggy of the junior type!

CC_TA
thats wot I wanted to say , only he did it better!
 
#8
Be aware that you limit yourself to SSgt (or if very lucky WO2) as a metalsmith. If you wish to go tiffy and get selected you would need to retrain as an Armr - going tiffy would almost certainly guarantee you WO2 and probably WO1

Promotion speeds are not great as a metalsmith, and the CEG is now starting to reduce in size due to the next round of rebalancing so promotion speeds may suffer even more as we will have more soldiers than we have liability for, for a while at least.

Rec Mech, VM or Armr are your best bets it you want reasonable prospects of advancement down the line - but only if you will enjoy those trades. Clearly, job satisfaction counts for a lot.

I hope this helps.
 
#9
not really thought about any other trade, only VM as dual trade!! the only thing is that at our unit i'm the only metalsmith so lose out on decent training.

when i went to germany i had a wicked time...very hands on and the lads were spot on!!

they tryed to get me transferred to their unit on a attachment but my unit wasn't having any of it!!! if i do a attachment its either iraq or afgan!!!!
 
#10
okimato said:
Be aware that you limit yourself to SSgt (or if very lucky WO2) as a metalsmith. If you wish to go tiffy and get selected you would need to retrain as an Armr - going tiffy would almost certainly guarantee you WO2 and probably WO1

Promotion speeds are not great as a metalsmith, and the CEG is now starting to reduce in size due to the next round of rebalancing so promotion speeds may suffer even more as we will have more soldiers than we have liability for, for a while at least.

Rec Mech, VM or Armr are your best bets it you want reasonable prospects of advancement down the line - but only if you will enjoy those trades. Clearly, job satisfaction counts for a lot.

I hope this helps.
Wish I could have reached the dizzy hights yet alone been limited to them :roll: :D
 
#11
Check your Pm's again moggy and have a chat with the ACIO i mentioned, they do go to your TA centre or the Connexions/job centre i mentioned. It might be an idea to see how the six month tour pans out and start the ball rolling when you get back and really know if you want it.

Okimatos comments are spot on and worth considering if your thinking of a full career, but dont go poncy B mech squatter be A man.
I wouldnt think youll be going as a metal bender to Cyprus either and suspect you'll be on the GREENLINE at ledger Palace (Nicosia) as normally they only have a couple of REME at trade on the UN tours the rest are infantry role. Its a good crack though.
 
#12
Basically the TA are now taking on Op TOSCA and are asking for anyone in the TA to go out, regardless of trade, and walk the line. it's a UN tour and you are more or less guarenteed not to be doing any trade. 32 Sig Regt in Glasgow are taking the lead, if i'm not mistaken, to raise a regt's worth for a tour, but as with all TA, only 1% will be available when it's crunch time, due to whatever reasons/commitments/excuses etc.

So trawling will be massive throughout the TA at the mo, and whatever you volunteer for, you will get, that's more or less a given.

I'm a PSI at the mo and i would strongly urge you to join the regs, you are a rare breed who ask about joining the regs, there is nothing stopping you and every man feels worse of himself for not having been a soldier (Kipling i believe) and i do not include TA as soldiers in that statement!!
 
#14
EScotia said:
Re-igniting the STAB/ARAB arguement H-J? If the TA aren't soldiers, then what are they :?
They are naughty, naughty boys.
 
#15
Heywood_Jablowme said:
I'm a PSI at the mo and i would strongly urge you to join the regs, you are a rare breed who ask about joining the regs, there is nothing stopping you and every man feels worse of himself for not having been a soldier (Kipling i believe) and i do not include TA as soldiers in that statement!!
You may believe it was Kipling however, I am not surprised that you are wrong!

The quote in question is, "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea" and was by, Samuel Johnson LL.D. MA (1709 - 1784).

As an aside, (my bold above) you sir are a bigoted tw@t and a disgrace to the PSIs of the Corps!
 
#16
Nishka,

Bit harsh that fella - having been an SPSI, I know where he's coming from........
 
#17
Nishka said:
Heywood_Jablowme said:
I'm a PSI at the mo and i would strongly urge you to join the regs, you are a rare breed who ask about joining the regs, there is nothing stopping you and every man feels worse of himself for not having been a soldier (Kipling i believe) and i do not include TA as soldiers in that statement!!
You may believe it was Kipling however I am not suprised that you are wrong!

The quote in question is, 'Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea' and was by Samuel Johnson LL.D. MA (1709 - 1784).

As an aside, (my bold above) you sir are a bigoted tw@t and a disgrace to the PSIs of the Corps!
Someones tired, bless him :nemo: :nemo: :nemo: :fish: :fish:
 
#18
As an aside, (my bold above) you sir are a bigoted tw@t and a disgrace to the PSIs of the Corps![/quote]

My statement is evidence based. The vast majority of the TA have never done soldiering in the role they are trained to do, they have been in for 20 years or so, been camping for a fortnight, 'earned' a VRSM, leant against the wall on a drill night smoking fags and puting junior TA off going any further with stories of their experiences of the TA SMC which was like some form of SAS Selection. I applaud those who have been on tour, which is what the TA is all about nowadays, as they are first choice over the reservist. What is your experience of being a soldier.
 
#19
Heywood_Jablowme said:
Nishka said:
Heywood_Jablowme said:
I'm a PSI at the mo and i would strongly urge you to join the regs, you are a rare breed who ask about joining the regs, there is nothing stopping you and every man feels worse of himself for not having been a soldier (Kipling i believe) and i do not include TA as soldiers in that statement!!
You may believe it was Kipling however I am not suprised that you are wrong!

The quote in question is, 'Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea' and was by Samuel Johnson LL.D. MA (1709 - 1784).

As an aside, (my bold above) you sir are a bigoted tw@t and a disgrace to the PSIs of the Corps!
Nishka said:
As an aside, (my bold above) you sir are a bigoted tw@t and a disgrace to the PSIs of the Corps!
My statement is evidence based. What is your experience.
Your whole original statement may be evidence based, however I take exception to your final remarks, that by inference every TA ‘soldier’ should ’feel meanly of themselves for having not been a regular [sic] soldier’.

I wonder if the 14,000 TA ‘soldiers’ who have served alongside their regular counterparts in Iraq, Afghanistan and other operations since 2003 feel meanly about themselves?

Or indeed, if the families of the 10 TA ‘soldiers’ who have lost their lives in the same operations feel that their loved ones were any less ‘soldiers’ because of their TA status?.

As a PSI, you are expected to be a role model and subject matter expert.

I obviously can not make comment about your expertise, however as a role model you clearly demonstrate that you have a distain for TA ‘soldiers’ and in your position this raises great concern.

It is good to see that the Corps has provided a PSI who so wholeheartedly embraces the ‘One Army Concept’.
 
#20
Nishka said:
Heywood_Jablowme said:
Nishka said:
Heywood_Jablowme said:
I'm a PSI at the mo and i would strongly urge you to join the regs, you are a rare breed who ask about joining the regs, there is nothing stopping you and every man feels worse of himself for not having been a soldier (Kipling i believe) and i do not include TA as soldiers in that statement!!
You may believe it was Kipling however I am not suprised that you are wrong!

The quote in question is, 'Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea' and was by Samuel Johnson LL.D. MA (1709 - 1784).

As an aside, (my bold above) you sir are a bigoted tw@t and a disgrace to the PSIs of the Corps!
Nishka said:
As an aside, (my bold above) you sir are a bigoted tw@t and a disgrace to the PSIs of the Corps!
My statement is evidence based. What is your experience.
Your whole original statement may be evidence based, however I take exception to your final remarks, that by inference every TA ‘soldier’ should ’feel meanly of themselves for having not been a regular [sic] soldier’.

I wonder if the 14,000 TA ‘soldiers’ who have served alongside their regular counterparts in Iraq, Afghanistan and other operations since 2003 feel meanly about themselves?

Or indeed, if the families of the 10 TA ‘soldiers’ who have lost their lives in the same operations feel that their loved ones were any less ‘soldiers’ because of their TA status?.

As a PSI, you are expected to be a role model and subject matter expert.

I obviously can not make comment about your expertise, however as a role model you clearly demonstrate that you have a distain for TA ‘soldiers’ and in your position this raises great concern.

It is good to see that the Corps has provided a PSI who so wholeheartedly embraces the ‘One Army Concept’.
It's disdain that I look down with, by the way, not distain,but I wouldn't bring dead TA into a debate as I would class that as a low blow.

The One Army thing was probably dreamt up by some Consultancy somewhere, and we must buy into it. Personally, i would scrap the TA and concentrate on recruiting more full time soldiers, but there would be an outcry, especially in this 100th year of the TA. I don't like the concept.

I am but a small fish, i've tried waving my flag and been put in my box, my unit has never done anything meaningful and probably never will. I am trying to kickstart different initiatives, trying to offer the TA facilities to the regs with TA instructors, but ultimately I think it will prove unreliable, because you just cannot rely on the TA.

Open up a course or W/E for TA, 20 put name down, 5 attend, it's infuriating.

A good soldier is 5 minutes early, not 5 weekends late.

I see facts and figures and the sheer amount of tax-payers money wasted.
If a reg misses a course or parade or whatever, there is accountability, something which is missing within the TA. You AGAI or charge a TA soldier, you will probably never see him again!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PotYos The NAAFI Bar 36
whitecliffsofdover Army Reserve 8
boney_m Royal Signals 28

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top