Einstein: Religion "Childish Nonsense"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AndyPipkin, May 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A clever man that Einstein chap. :D
  2. Watch it Andy! Such a theme is not welcomed on the ARRSE anymore. My thread about God-loving MPs was holed today almost immediately.

3. Very interesting article. Reminds me of that quote from 'War and Peace' that goes something like- "A Russian believes that nothing can ever be known..."
  4. "Childish Nonsense"

5. Considering that much of the conflict in the world has a significant religious side to it, any discussion about how stupid religion is, must surely be a good thing.

6. That is true, however even in the absence of religion, humans find something to fight about (see secular PCism for example).

And the odd thing about religion is, even when is seems to have been eradicated (Russia, China), it crops back up the moment the oppression lessens. I read somewhere a while back that most people are hardwired to believe in a god. Maybe it serves some evolutionary function.
  7. Not really Red, generally people are weak and find religion an easy crutch.

8. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Well, one quote deserves another...

"Like other great scientists he does not fit the boxes in which popular polemicists like to pigeonhole him," said Brooke. "It is clear for example that he had respect for the religious values enshrined within Judaic and Christian traditions ... but what he understood by religion was something far more subtle than what is usually meant by the word in popular discussion."

Despite his categorical rejection of conventional religion, Brooke said that Einstein became angry when his views were appropriated by evangelists for atheism. He was offended by their lack of humility and once wrote. "The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

Funny how people quote what suits them and forget the whole. And ARRSE is an example of the 'popular discussion' referred to above.

But of course, that sort of 'proof texting' is only something that could be laid at the door of theists isn't it? I mean, the very idea of taking one phrase out of context is so indicative of polemical religious views isn't it? ;-)
  9. Gord, which part do you disagree with? If it is the 'hardwired' part, I didn't make it up - was some study or other which I will try to find. Or do you mean it has nothing to do with evolution? But why would it be hardwired if it didn't serve some 'survival' function?
  10. Until I see the wiring diagram, to use your phrase, for the brain then I think I will go along with my appreciation that all religion and god bothering is a big pair of pants.
  11. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Quite right. It is a well known fact that WWII was due to a dispute between Methodism and Shintoism. And the Falklands war was so obviously a public confrontation between gay-affirming Anglicans and Anabaptists. Of course, everyone knows that the millions killed by Stalin were due to small differences in belief about the nature of Buddha.
  12. My imaginary friend, God, would be furious about this...nay outraged. Which is a shame because he is normally a loving sort of an imaginary friend who brings me nice things in my life on receipt of a prayer or two. Or as it might be referred to on this site, after I talk to myself a bit...
  13. ok, much of the CURRENT conflict........ :roll: :wink:

14. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

We've (Arrse) done this topic so many times that it's getting rather surreal.

Does anyone, theist or atheist really expect the other side to change their mind? And will you change yours?

P_F, ref your last. I fully expect a response from someone pointing out that Stalin was raised a Catholic. That's how predictable this is.