Einstein: Religion "Childish Nonsense"

#4
Very interesting article. Reminds me of that quote from 'War and Peace' that goes something like- "A Russian believes that nothing can ever be known..."
 
#6
Considering that much of the conflict in the world has a significant religious side to it, any discussion about how stupid religion is, must surely be a good thing.

Ski.
 
#7
SkiCarver said:
Considering that much of the conflict in the world has a significant religious side to it, any discussion about how stupid religion is, must surely be a good thing.

Ski.
That is true, however even in the absence of religion, humans find something to fight about (see secular PCism for example).

And the odd thing about religion is, even when is seems to have been eradicated (Russia, China), it crops back up the moment the oppression lessens. I read somewhere a while back that most people are hardwired to believe in a god. Maybe it serves some evolutionary function.
 
#8
Not really Red, generally people are weak and find religion an easy crutch.

IMHO
 
#9
GordonBrown said:
"Childish Nonsense"

Indeed.
Well, one quote deserves another...

"Like other great scientists he does not fit the boxes in which popular polemicists like to pigeonhole him," said Brooke. "It is clear for example that he had respect for the religious values enshrined within Judaic and Christian traditions ... but what he understood by religion was something far more subtle than what is usually meant by the word in popular discussion."

Despite his categorical rejection of conventional religion, Brooke said that Einstein became angry when his views were appropriated by evangelists for atheism. He was offended by their lack of humility and once wrote. "The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

Funny how people quote what suits them and forget the whole. And ARRSE is an example of the 'popular discussion' referred to above.

But of course, that sort of 'proof texting' is only something that could be laid at the door of theists isn't it? I mean, the very idea of taking one phrase out of context is so indicative of polemical religious views isn't it? ;-)
 
#10
GordonBrown said:
Not really Red, generally people are weak and find religion an easy crutch.

IMHO
Gord, which part do you disagree with? If it is the 'hardwired' part, I didn't make it up - was some study or other which I will try to find. Or do you mean it has nothing to do with evolution? But why would it be hardwired if it didn't serve some 'survival' function?
 
#11
Until I see the wiring diagram, to use your phrase, for the brain then I think I will go along with my appreciation that all religion and god bothering is a big pair of pants.
 
#12
SkiCarver said:
Considering that much of the conflict in the world has a significant religious side to it, any discussion about how stupid religion is, must surely be a good thing.

Ski.
Quite right. It is a well known fact that WWII was due to a dispute between Methodism and Shintoism. And the Falklands war was so obviously a public confrontation between gay-affirming Anglicans and Anabaptists. Of course, everyone knows that the millions killed by Stalin were due to small differences in belief about the nature of Buddha.
 
#13
My imaginary friend, God, would be furious about this...nay outraged. Which is a shame because he is normally a loving sort of an imaginary friend who brings me nice things in my life on receipt of a prayer or two. Or as it might be referred to on this site, after I talk to myself a bit...
 
#14
Purple_Flash said:
SkiCarver said:
Considering that much of the conflict in the world has a significant religious side to it, any discussion about how stupid religion is, must surely be a good thing.

Ski.
Quite right. It is a well known fact that WWII was due to a dispute between Methodism and Shintoism. And the Falklands war was so obviously a public confrontation between gay-affirming Anglicans and Anabaptists. Of course, everyone knows that the millions killed by Stalin were due to small differences in belief about the nature of Buddha.
ok, much of the CURRENT conflict........ :roll: :wink:

Ski.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#15
We've (Arrse) done this topic so many times that it's getting rather surreal.

Does anyone, theist or atheist really expect the other side to change their mind? And will you change yours?

Unlikely.

P_F, ref your last. I fully expect a response from someone pointing out that Stalin was raised a Catholic. That's how predictable this is.
 
#16
GordonBrown said:
Until I see the wiring diagram, to use your phrase, for the brain then I think I will go along with my appreciation that all religion and god bothering is a big pair of pants.
Don't have a wiring diagram, and if I did, couldn't understand it as wiring wasn't my specialty - but here is a very good, albeit long, article if you care to read it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/m...74194000&en=0731153d3788ff61&ei=5070&emc=eta1

BTW, I don't say that if the need for god is hardwired, that makes god real. And I use quotes because they say things much more eloquently than I could...
'There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy'
 
#17
KGB_resident said:
AndyPipkin said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/12/peopleinscience.religion
Watch it Andy! Such a theme is not welcomed on the ARRSE anymore. My thread about God-loving MPs was holed today almost immediately.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=96469.html
Only because you, you tit, were trying to make senseless UK derogatory political statements out of it.

As to Einstein,

Couldn't agree more.
 
#18
'There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy'
My name's not Horatio!

"Did you spill my pint?!"
 
#19
Sixty said:
We've (Arrse) done this topic so many times that it's getting rather surreal.

Does anyone, theist or atheist really expect the other side to change their mind? And will you change yours?

Unlikely.

P_F, ref your last. I fully expect a response from someone pointing out that Stalin was raised a Catholic. That's how predictable this is.
I know, I know, but sometimes I get stirred into action. It's like soldiers getting annoyed at civvies calling a WR a tank... sometimes I bite. Unless anyone has taken Philosophy of Religion 101 they don't have the vocabulary to understand the subject matter... as Einstein pointed out!
 
#20
Purple_Flash said:
Sixty said:
We've (Arrse) done this topic so many times that it's getting rather surreal.

Does anyone, theist or atheist really expect the other side to change their mind? And will you change yours?

Unlikely.

P_F, ref your last. I fully expect a response from someone pointing out that Stalin was raised a Catholic. That's how predictable this is.
I know, I know, but sometimes I get stirred into action. It's like soldiers getting annoyed at civvies calling a WR a tank... sometimes I bite. Unless anyone has taken Philosophy of Religion 101 they don't have the vocabulary to understand the subject matter... as Einstein pointed out!
In the distant past, I did take such a course, but it makes me no more qualified than anyone else to answer whether there is a god or no, although I realise the onus is on the believer to proof there is, not on the atheist to prove there is not.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top