Eight Lives Down

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Praetorian, Aug 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just finished reading it, its fucking superb, have to reccomend it to anyone.

2. Read it when it came out, the one about Felix; it's excellent :D

3. read it a around 1 month ago, twice whilst on hols ha ha
    decent book but dont believe all that was said in it

4. Care to expand? I didn't think there were any tall tales in it?

5. he mentions the death of baha musa in there at the hands of the british army during august 2003, he says it was fuslilers, 2nd battalion if my memory serves me right.
    thats wrong, it was a member of 1 qlr who commited the offence
    there are some other things said that seem to have been said to make the writer out to be better on certain levels and also some accounts of events that the information he gives and the time frames wouldnt fit in with what happens on the ground.

6. I liked the book but it got a bit repetitive at times! Still, a good read and would reccomend it!

7. I'm about halfway through this now, and its not bad so far. The writing isn't as slick as others though.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

And the quote for finest synopsis in the history of book reviews goes to......................

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

[​IMG]

amazon says

10. have now read this. it was interesting, but my enjoyment was tempered by the fact that the author is either the single best ATO in the history of ATOs, or has bigged himself up a little bit. i suspect some who know him under his real name might be a little bemused by his version of how he was almost single-handedly responsible for X, Y and Z.

just a gut feeling you understand. :roll:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

In the defence of the author - whom I do not know - editors/publishers often try to get stories simplified by cutting out characters and putting their actions in the heroes activity.

If you imagine you know everyone in your Sqn or Coy and wanted to write a book about what happened in a 6 month tour, you couldn't spread the stories of the characters around and have someone that's just picked up the book understand it, let alone a civvie or a yank..

so for clarities sake, they take all the stories and bung them in one bloke. IIRC, Condor Blues mentions far to many characters to be properly followed.

12. I wouldn't say I know the bloke, but I did meet him and discuss some of his experiences in a professional capacity a while back. He didn't come across as especially arrogant, conceited or prone to exaggeration - in fact, rather the opposite. Unfortunately, self-effacement and modesty don't really sell war books, and I reckon Mr H is right that the editors/publishers may have 'sexed it up' a little.

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

You don't need to say it, I assume it! to paraphrase The Thin Red Line.

[​IMG]

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Just read the book, didn't seem bigged up to me.

And I thought it was good, well worth a few quid.

15. I'm about three quarters through. It is really good so far, don't remember reeading a better book about the recent wars. I'm not an expert on EOD stuff but it all rings pretty true to me from what I do know. Good book!