Eight lives down Maj Chris Hunter

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by 3milesniper, Jun 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A book bought for me for fathers day ...a fantastic read for bods who have been MND SE.You will pick out two tanks crossing,The Shat etc ...well written and a little emotional in the right places,about an ATO I guess Telic 5?
  2. Telic 4 I think mate. Same tour as Dan Mills' book and dusty warriors (I think the first PWRR contact gets a mention), although I stand to be corrected. Has anyone else noticed that the same 2 tours seem to have alot written about them ? The Herrick summer 06 and Telic 4 both have a few books each IIRC , I wonder if its just the time it takes to collate everything and get them published :? Great book all the same, dont think Id fancy being an ATO anyway 8O
  3. I did a bulk buy of books for a trip and found I was reading about the same period, in fact the same incidents from very different perspectives, some of them painting very different pictures
  4. Yes... a very interesting book. Quite emotional in places especially describing his wife and two young daughters. A very good read, and it tells it as it is.
  5. So its a recommend all round then ?
  6. Thanks for the link! anyone read "In foriegn fields" or "sniper one" ?
  7. Both , and recommend them both as well. Sniper Ones a bit more "for the lads" than in foreign fields which is a bit more factual (still some good interviews with the people themselves though) I loved them both tbh. Id recommend Condor Blues , and A Million Bullets as well, if youre off on a book buying spree. ;)
  8. Keep your eyes out for 'An ordinary soldier' by Capt Doug Beattie MC coming out later this year. I'm reading a proof copy of it now and it's similar to Sniper One. Gripping stuff!
  9. Just started reading 'Eight Lives' and seems like an excellent read so far.
    Can't put it down at the moment.
  10. Yup I started reading it yesterday morning, lucky really I had nothing to do yesterday as I didnt put it down until I'd finished it last night.
    Agree with the others it gives a lot of interesting other perspectives on events already written about in other books, and how they have an affect on people in other areas.
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Sniper One - Highly recommended! Dan Mills is a God!
    Gets into the most outrageous situations and deals with them brilliantly.

Eight Lives Down - Highly recommended! Major Chris Hunter is also a God!
    He knows he's being targeted directly because of his successes as an EOD operative. Imagine that all the insurgent brass wants you dead, and not only sets up numerous IEDs JUST for you, but then attends with a large crowd AND video cameras just to watch you fail and get blown up. You still go in, you still do your job with your enemy watching you, and you still succeed. This bloke truly has balls of steel.
  12. wasn't he one of the guys in that 2 part tv show about Afghanistan? I can't remember what it was called, first show the presenter spent time with the army, 2nd show with the Taliban?
  13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Yep both, they're very good, especially sniper one.

I still have to read Eight Lives Down. It's on the shelf but time is my problem at the moment :( Looks like it will be a good read then.