• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Eight British soldiers battle with 1,200 Taleban

Eight British soldiers battle with 1,200 Taleban at 'Camp Incoming'

By Tim Albone
Our correspondent joins the training squad who are under fire daily at their outpost

THE view from the tiny British outpost above the town of Tangye in northern Helmand province was picture perfect.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2259756,00.html
An interesting read. Don't think it has been posted before?

8 Brits against 1200 taleban? Sounds a bit unfair to me.... Maybe the Taleban should get some reinforcements to give them a chance against real men!

Timesonline said:
The eight British soldiers — and 30 paratroopers camped near by — were soon drawn into the fight, opening up with mortars, Javelins and rounds from a 7.62 machinegun.
Yes I know what they are, but one wonders what the average Times reader thought.

Sounds like Int is as good as ever. Back in March this is what the MoD estimated the Talibs to total.

11. We note MoD's estimate that the Taliban in Helmand might number "over a thousand" and that allegiances were determined by "who is paying them". It is imperative that UK Forces work quickly and closely with Afghan security forces to develop a reliable intelligence picture of threats in Helmand. (Paragraph 52)

THAT IS HELMAND PROVINCE. not a small town in Helmand.

Grown a beard! What a great idea, the joys of not having to shave every morning whilst on Ops must make up for the fact that they get shot at every day!

Fair play to the lads involved but as with C Lamb's article on a 3 Para contact, if the journo hadn't been there we'd be none the wiser. How many other small teams are dotted around like this without proper air/ground support and standing by to be overrun by a determined Taleban attack? The words 'cake' 'arrse' and 'party' spring to mind.

Good luck fellas, I don't envy you.

Warrior_Poet said:
8 Brits against 1200 taleban? Sounds a bit unfair to me.... Maybe the Taleban should get some reinforcements to give them a chance against real men!
Not meant to deflect from the sterling job they are doing, but the article does clearly state that they are backed up by 30 Paras, over 100 ANA soldiers, and a number of local police, and that there are some 1200 suspected Taliban fighters in that valley, not all fighting the Brits at once. Typical journo, they always have to make 'amazing' headlines. :roll:

Best of luck to all the guys (and gals) out there. We recongise the brilliant work you are doing, even if the general population don't.

Agent_Smith said:
Warrior_Poet said:
Not meant to deflect from the sterling job they are doing, but the article does clearly state that they are backed up by 30 Paras, over 100 ANA soldiers, and a number of local police, and that there are some 1200 suspected Taliban fighters in that valley, not all fighting the Brits at once. Typical journo, they always have to make 'amazing' headlines. :roll:

Best of luck to all the guys (and gals) out there. We recongise the brilliant work you are doing, even if the general population don't.
They are in a better position now, however..
Four days ago the 30 paratroopers arrived to secure the hill around the outpost, which is at least 30km (18 miles) from the nearest British base in Sangin along roads too dangerous to use. It now relies entirely on helicopters for its supplies
So this 8 man team were in contact daily for over four weeks.. Granted a Plt of Paras is backing them up now but prior to that they were on their tod.
The Afghan police guarding the outer perimeter vanished and the British fired 400 rounds to drive the enemy away.
It's well known we do not have enough close air support in theater and the Afghan militia/police are likely to fight to the last Brit.

My point is I can't help feeling some of the lads are over-exposed in isolated positions and the Taleban are not waiting for us to bring the fight to them. If the idea is to try and draw out, engage and destroy large formations with overwhelming force it makes sense, although being the cheese in the trap would be pretty scary. The trouble is we don't have overwhelming force available, so why are they being deployed like this?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
QRK2 said:
Timesonline said:
The eight British soldiers — and 30 paratroopers camped near by — were soon drawn into the fight, opening up with mortars, Javelins and rounds from a 7.62 machinegun.
Yes I know what they are, but one wonders what the average Times reader thought.
I don't know but I'm getting a mental image of a movie producer reading and saying to his PA 'Wow....Javelins....just like Zulu Dawn...get me my casting list and phone book...I wonder if Kevin Costner can do an English accent....never mind...we can retell the story making it the 82nd Airborne.'

"The battle raged for three hours. Bullets flew...The fighting ended only when the British summoned air power and the Taleban melted away, leaving behind at least two dead fighters. "

I'd like to know why it took them 3 hours to kill 2 Taleban. They should be spending some more time on the ranges.

Having read the article I have to say! All hail to our lads and British Army training! I'm very glad they didn't suffer any mortalities. Hovever, this is more than a nudge and a wink to indicate that the situation is a lot more desperate than Phoney Tony, Swiss Tony or any of the others of that band of twisted perverts would have us believe.

The British Army is on a mission to hell with this! It's total bollix and should be curtailed as soon as possible. Where are the real decision-makers when you need 'em?

I say: pull our lasses and lads out now and let them sort their problems out themselves. Why should British Army personnel lose their live just to satisfy Bush the Bewildered and Phoney Tony? Maybe I've not noticed it, but neither of those arrseholes has ever been to Afgahnistan. I wonder why?

MsG

Bugsy7 said:
Having read the article I have to say! All hail to our lads and British Army training! I'm very glad they didn't suffer any mortalities. Hovever, this is more than a nudge and a wink to indicate that the situation is a lot more desperate than Phoney Tony, Swiss Tony or any of the others of that band of twisted perverts would have us believe.

The British Army is on a mission to hell with this! It's total bollix and should be curtailed as soon as possible. Where are the real decision-makers when you need 'em?

I say: pull our lasses and lads out now and let them sort their problems out themselves. Why should British Army personnel lose their live just to satisfy Bush the Bewildered and Phoney Tony? Maybe I've not noticed it, but neither of those arrseholes has ever been to Afgahnistan. I wonder why?

MsG
I beg to differ. The Great Helmsman has been to the 'Stan. Who could have failed to treasure the moment on the runway side at Kabul when TonyI turned to his minder and quietly explained that he needed a slash. "No problem" said the minder, and led our revered stateman a metre to the left, so allowing him to pee on the deck. There was a wonderful moment, it is reported, when Mr Five Times a Night looked around in vain for a Turdis and then realised that the Prime Ministerial plonker was going to have to be exposed to all the Muj snipers doubtless drooling with excitement at the prospect of plinking the First Minister's plonker.

blimey only two dead Talibanista? SUSATS 400 roounds, Sgt Major Brennan was right, it was a bit early, but seriously, well done to them, bring them all home or equip and reinforce them properly

QRK2 said:
Timesonline said:
just imagine how confused the public would be if they were using Blowpipes, or worse, Wombats, the animal rights people would have a field day, what with Gazelles being used as transport the mind boggles

Latest Threads