Egypt plus

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
We’ve done the festival, and I’ve returned with more bruises in a camper van than I did while camping. Who would have thought climbing into a bed could be so fraught with danger, pain and general inconvenience.

Out on Sunday, playing catch up with everyone. Someone asked if there was anywhere we were thinking of going next. I immediately chipped in with Istanbul and Berlin.
Istanbul, somewhere different and exotic and Berlin for a bit of civilisation.
I was booted under the table.
‘What’.
‘Egypt. I fancy Egypt’.
‘Egypt’.?
‘Egypt’

There was no sign of humour, no thought that this was thrown in to stimulate a degree of conversation and I can’t even set it up with the proviso that we visit Israel. She refuses point blank to set foot in the place.

So the Arrse massive.

Egypt? and is there anywhere interesting, visitable(?) and vaguely first world we can hit on the way back.
I like trains, especially foreign ones, we did Prague, Vienna and Budapest last year, hoooking up by train.
Ta in advance.

Rab_C

Old-Salt
We’ve done the festival, and I’ve returned with more bruises in a camper van than I did while camping. Who would have thought climbing into a bed could be so fraught with danger, pain and general inconvenience.

Out on Sunday, playing catch up with everyone. Someone asked if there was anywhere we were thinking of going next. I immediately chipped in with Istanbul and Berlin.
‘What’.
‘Egypt. I fancy Egypt’.
‘Egypt’.?
‘Egypt’

There was no sign of humour, no thought that this was thrown in to stimulate a degree of conversation and I can’t even set it up with the proviso that we visit Israel. She refuses point blank to set foot in the place.

So the Arrse massive.

Egypt? and is there anywhere interesting, visitable(?) and vaguely first world we can hit on the way back.
I like trains, especially foreign ones, we did Prague, Vienna and Budapest last year, hoooking up by train.
Ta in advance.
Was there last November, 5 nights lazing by the beach in Hurghada and 5 days sightseeing in Luxor. It all depends on what you pay. We had great hotels in both places, the Marriott in Hurghada and Hilton in Luxor. Hurghada is exactly what I wanted, lazing by the pool and private beach in the sun. Luxor was amazing, we hired a private guide and driver and saw just about all there is to see in southern Egypt and the Hilton on the banks of the Nile was top notch.
Food in both places can only be described as mediocre however there was no need for the Imodium that I had packed.
I believe there is a 5 star sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor (maybe Aswan) but can’t confirm.
We did sleazyjet to/from Hurghada, not that cheap for 5 hours at playing sardines, Thomas Cook and Tui also fly there. The other option was Egypt Air via Cairo but I value my life too much.
If you don’t like mixing with the all inclusive “ere we go” crowd research your hotels. If you want to see the sights I really recommend a private guide and car, you can avoid any bottlenecks and make the most of your time.
Edited to add we got ours as a tailor made package from Kuoni.

The other option was Egypt Air via Cairo but I value my life too much.
Egypt Air are actually a great option.(if you can cope without alcohol for the duration of the flight) Fairly basic in flight entertainment, but modern planes and very reliable. . I've been flying to and from Cairo for the last 20 years and honestly wouldn't use anyone else. Railways down south can be a bit iffy, but the trains between Alexandria and Cairo are fine.

Egypt? Seriously? Under no circumstances!

Israel is a far more civilised place. Small enough to see most of it in a fortnight or so. It's a Western country so isn't a third world toilet, unlike their neighbours. Bags of history and some wonderful scenery. You're safe eating street food as well, (pass me that felafel), and you won't be pestered by beggars, unless you go to the Arab part of Jerusalem.

Rab_C

Old-Salt

Israel is a far more civilised place. Small enough to see most of it in a fortnight or so. It's a Western country so isn't a third world toilet, unlike their neighbours. Bags of history and some wonderful scenery. You're safe eating street food as well, (pass me that felafel), and you won't be pestered by beggars, unless you go to the Arab part of Jerusalem.
Israel? Seriously? Under no circumstances.

Awol

LE
Me and a mate, on R&R from Unficyp, travelled around Israel, across the Sinai and into Egypt.
Because we were on a seriously tight budget, we searched out the cheapest hotel we could find (mistake) and ended up in an absolute fleapit.

The beds had a bottom sheet (literally black in the centre) and a single furry blanket (oddly seeming to move slightly). I tore everything off my bed, sprayed the entire mattress with mosquito repellent and rolled out my trusty maggot. My mate, who decided it was too hot for a maggot, took off the bottom sheet and also sprayed his mattress, but was going to sleep in just his pants.
I'm the morning, I awoke to find that he must have got cold in the night and was now snoring softly, with the buggy, crawly blanket pulled up tightly around his shoulders.

He was itching for a week.

Egypt....dirtiest place I've ever visited.

Awol

LE

And gorgeous girls in uniform.

Israel? Seriously? Under no circumstances.
Just because Magic Grandad is one of Hamas's anti-semitic, useful idiot, fellow travellers doesn't mean we all have to be one.

Rab_C

Old-Salt
Just because Magic Grandad is one of Hamas's anti-semitic fellow travellers doesn't mean we all have to be one.
Having had the miss fortune to both work and holiday there, you can keep it. Anyway the OP asked about Egypt, I am sure your balanced concise comments will help him in his decision.

Having had the miss fortune to both work and holiday there, you can keep it. Anyway the OP asked about Egypt, I am sure your balanced concise comments will help him in his decision.
I've worked and holidayed there as well. Lovely country, lovely people, shame about the neighbours.

Egypt is a shithole.

Turkey on the other hand (esp Instanbul) is great.

Went to Egypt with Madam mnairb on the Hurghada plus Nile Cruise trip about 18 months ago. Really enjoyed the cruise (Luxor - Aswan & back) but was thoroughly p!ssed off with the pestering - even climbing onto the boat to try and flog you something. Even the guides are in on the act. That said, absolutely fascinating country and would go again, now I know what I missed the first time and would like to see (and what to avoid).

Agree also with the comments about Turkey - fantastic place full of interesting history.

lecky

Old-Salt
We did Egypt a decade ago. Based ourselves at Luxor as it seemed where most stuff was...loads to see and do there: Valley of the Kings and Queens, Karnak Temple, Collossus of Menmon all within spitting distance. Balloon flight over the top of it all if you dare.
Flew up to Cairo (utter, utter shithole) just to see the Pyramids and Sphinx , then once around the Egyptian Museum for all the Mummies and King Tut's Death Mask, all in one day without having to stay in Cairo... bit of Dinner and fly back to Luxor for about £20 return on a new Embraer.
Don't know how true it is, but was told by Egyptians before we went, that Western managed Hotels, would only get 4 Stars tops off the officials, whilst 5 stars was reserved for Egyptian managed hotels... hence why they thought that 4 star western managed Hotels were better than 5 star Egyptian managed Hotels.
Based on that and one or two other decisions at the time, (private island, Swiss owned and run, European head chef, in the middle of the Nile with a single causeway onto the Island from the main road, + armed guards at either end making other targets a softer option) we picked this:
Not sure if it's still swiss owned and run, but not too many have been moaning about it on Trip Advisor recently

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

‘What’.
‘Egypt. I fancy Egypt’.
‘Egypt’.?
‘Egypt’

So the Arrse massive.

Ta in advance.
Re Egypt, take the train from Cairo to Aswan, cruise back to Luxor and fly on to your next stop from there - Beirut or Crete wouldn't disappoint and Malta's always a reliable stand-by.

Is the Amiriyah Ritz still there? My dad stayed there in 1941 and it was better than most of the other places he stayed at in Egypt, though the tents tended to blow down in a gale and the rainwater would stream down the side of the hill into and out of the tents, taking one's belongings with it.

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I’ve known loads of patients over the years get food poisoning and not just the shits, the hospital needing drips type. Anyway it’s a shit hole. Now about their food cold chain audits in that heat...

Forget Egypt...have you not seen the top gear camping in the UK episode...before you commenced your journey?

I don't understand the appeal of camper vans/ motorhomes anywhere. Rather just have a cheap AirBnB.

Hurghada and Luxor - good hotels in Hurghada, and good options in Luxor. As previous poster said, outside of "western" hotels the food is not great but is adequate. Valley of the Kings is a gem. They're digging more and more out every year. Well worth a trip.

Latest Threads